Bruce Dickinson

So finished my first listen of the album. Maybe later I will write longer review but one of the things that I must mention is repeated lines.
I remember he said in one of the interviews he's not really into singing repeated chorus (Red and Black especially was mentioned). But here on the new album there are quite many songs that have same repeated chorus lines. Also lots of songs have same repeated lines at the end of the songs -

Afterglow of Ragnarok
The many opening doors to hell
Rain on the graves
Resurrection men
Eternity has failed
Look at your face

Funny, weird or maybe even lazy lyrics.

But if I look past the repetition I must say I'm little bit sad Bruce didn't go forward with the original plan of concept album about Lazarus and Necropolis. Lyrically Afterglow, Resurrection Men, Eternity are very interesting. Would have liked to see where the story (with the music) goes. Guess I have to buy the comics

My brother just dropped off my copy of the CD. The CD to me sound so much better than the Spotify stream. I am using my PS 3D headphones and they really open everything up. Apple Music has a spacial sound version up for those who are interested. I am gonna play the hell out of this for awhile. New Bruce and Judas Priest within a week, what a time to be alive.

So far happy with this.

I have a couple instant like tracks, but so far I actually feel this album needs to be listened to as a whole, even if there isn't a full story there to be presented as a whole.

Like Mr K, I'm very impressed by I Can't Believe Its Not Eternity Should Fail and surprised to find the Maiden version sounds more sparse in some respects. Particularly the instrumental part, the Bruce version is far more developed.

I've listened to the album three times now, and I'd say the standout tracks to me are Many Doors to Hell, Resurrection Men, Fingers In the Wounds and Shadow of the Gods. A very enjoyable listen though, some of the differences in vocals are a bit jarring but then again they were recorded years apart.

Picked up my deluxe CD of The Mandrake Project and the packaging is actually quite nice, including an oversized lyric booklet along with the roughly 8" square hardcover comic (which I have not yet read) – but, the CD itself is slipped into such a tight paper pocket that it’s really hard to get out of the sleeve. I was afraid I was going to rip the paper trying to get it out, as turning the book upside down and smacking it wasn’t getting the job done! Firm but careful grabbing of the disc finally won the day.
Okay after reading this, I’m calling for the deluxe version too now. I initially just called for the digipak but will have to do this too

So, who do I have sleep with to get Roy Z to remix all of the Maiden reunion albums?
Roy Z from the late 90's? Would've been great (though vetoed by Steve). Current Roy Z? Please no.
As unhappy as I am with TBOS's and SNJ's productions, the issues aren't due to Kevin; they're with Steve and Maiden in general, given how they approach recording music nowadays.

The Mandrake Project is arguably Bruce's worst sounding studio album. The first couple aren't my cup of tea, but sound good enough for what they were going for. The rest have good productions, with room for improvement. TMP on the other hand sounds like a demo at points (the acoustic guitars for example, or the overly digital drums) while super polished at other points (the percussion).

I like how short this album is.
I do not. Not because the songs are not more (they could have been), but because the arrangements and ideas weren't worked out to the best use of the songs ideas. This is a very important detail. It's an easy listen, but there are shorter albums, and shorter albums.
I dunno, after hearing Maiden's version of the song about gazillion times (it's one of my reunion song favorites), Eternity Has Failed to me feels almost like a parody. There definitely are great parts (prominent keys, Bruce's repeating at the end Eternity Has Failed, etc.) but overall, so far I can't take this version of the song for serious.
I think Bruce's version is much more complete and impactful. It feels such way. The song would have shined even more had it not been released as a Maiden song first. A worthy of a title track.
I wholeheartedly agree about Bruce's artistic style/lyrical themes/ideas being better/interesting than Maiden's. Steve, to some degree, has lost his lyrical mojo after 1988, imo.
I rate Bruce's lyrics and stories a lot, but on every album I find most of Steve's lyrics very interesting and amazing with the imagery they evoke. He is just the best and most special writer for me.
I remember he said in one of the interviews he's not really into singing repeated chorus (Red and Black especially was mentioned). But here on the new album there are quite many songs that have same repeated chorus lines. Also lots of songs have same repeated lines at the end of the songs -

Afterglow of Ragnarok
The many opening doors to hell
Rain on the graves
Resurrection men
Eternity has failed
Look at your face

Funny, weird or maybe even lazy lyrics.
I don't think this should be a surprise, we have previous examples.
What I like most about this album is the experimentation, the willingness to put so much variety in here rather than to just appease the narrow and limited tastes of many metalheads. Bruce's voice is spectacular, has a really interesting an unique tone and quality to it which is different to what I've heard from him before.
I agree here, but I think most of the fans wanted pure classic (and fast) metal approach from his solo albums. In a few interviews he has mentioned that the classic rock/metal approach gets old very quickly (?), and he is most interested in groovy and atmospheric stuff now.

Last edited:
Back