Bruce Dickinson

Maybe Bruce didn't want to embarrass or show-up Maiden again, like he did with Accident of Birth and The Chemical Wedding in the 1990s. Then he was more metal (and more Maiden) than Maiden. Maiden is his 21st century cash cow, after all, so he has to be respectful to it.
I think he's just doing what interests him the most now. He wants to experiment again/more, although some of his songs during the Reunion era are with a more ''free'' approach. More metal, yes, but more Maiden, I don't think so. He can't omit his Maiden-esque style, it's part of him. Or not for all songs.
So we get a different side of Bruce with this album. In the end, if the music is good, that's what really matters. But I would prefer pure metal.
This. BTP's style was a product of its time - and very in the style of Roy's band back then.

That surprises me,
because there was a quote posted here from the bass player about how heavy metal the album is.

I'm curious to know if the different genres mentioned in the Metal Hammer Germany reviews are integrated in a meaningful way.
Because quoting something from other genres is easy and might even come to mind if you're not particularly inspired, but to incorporate that into the whole song structure in a meaningful way, you have to be pretty ingenious to do that really well.
That's why it often seems like a good idea at first, but in reality it's risky.
Where did she say that? Bruce has already proven that he can combine different genres/styles in songs quite well. And I think the reviews had in mind individual songs.

Reading this thread, I feel almost guilty for being positively curious and excited for all the experimental elements and also liking Rain on the Graves as much as I certainly do. :p

Seriously though, I'm certainly on board with people who are having some doubts on Sonata and such and I'm not saying everything Bruce does is automatically brilliant. I'm just very excited and waiting to hear the album myself on the release day and form my opinion on it. I find the reviews very interesting, but not to the point of putting expectations on individual songs for better or worse. E.g I really like Darkest Hour on Senjutsu, despite it's lyrics, but if I took all the "LIKE A SONG FROM THE CHEMICAL WEDDING" pre-hype too literally, I might have been a bit too disappointed.

I totally sympathize with folks expecting and hoping "Tyranny of Souls II" or "continuation for Accident of Birth & The Chemical Wedding" as those are what I would've wanted in the first place as well, but expecting something like that might potentially lead into a disappointment. In that sense, I'm in a fortunate position, since I'm basically just excited to unwrap another Bruce Dickinson album and discover it's mysteries as it is.;)

I'm honestly more intrigued now that I've learned this isn't a straight up metal album. While I love AOB and CW (TOS eh, less so), I find BTP and Skunkworks far more interesting albums because Bruce was truly stepping outside of the Maiden box on those records. He's in Maiden now so to present Maiden-ish metal songs on a solo record would feel weird to me.

Can't wait to hear this in it's entirely. Just a hair over 2 weeks to go.

I totally sympathize with folks expecting and hoping "Tyranny of Souls II" or "continuation for Accident of Birth & The Chemical Wedding"
It's not a 'Tyranny Of Souls II' or a continuation for 'Accident Of Birth' and 'The Chemical Wedding'. It's something else that brings together everything Bruce Dickinson has done since 'Balls To Picasso' ('Skunkworks' notwithstanding). ;)

Back