Brave New World - Album

I don't have a problem with the sound of the album (I like it), but I don't think the production of an album makes the songs better or not.

I don't think so either, but recording, mixing and other production values can definitely underline various aspects of a song, e.g punchiness of the riffs or levels, dynamics & power of the rhythmic department. That, along with Bruce's capabilities as a vocalist make the "VXI leftovers" on BNW sound a lot more punchy, even if they step into a couple of familiar pitfalls - most notably repetition.

Could you please say which are the ''problems'' of this album? I don't expect that we all will like the same albums, but I think BNW is an album with only one remark - the instrumental section of ''The Nomad''. The first four songs are undeniable classics, two great epics, the album closer is a unique song, ''The Fallen Angel'' is one of the band's best short rockers and ''Out Of The Silent Planet'' is one of their best singles. Great production too.
1) Endless and non-varying chorus repetitions ( Brave new world, Wickerman, Out of the silent planet, Mercenary, Dream of mirrors)
2) Non existing drum fills or any drum variation in OOTSP, The nomad, half of TLBLAH, Dream of mirrors
3) Nomad being a rip off
4) Drums way too loud in the mix
5) Steve completely avoiding the interesting bass lines

1) Endless and non-varying chorus repetitions ( Brave new world, Wickerman, Out of the silent planet, Mercenary, Dream of mirrors)
2) Non existing drum fills or any drum variation in OOTSP, The nomad, half of TLBLAH, Dream of mirrors
3) Nomad being a rip off
4) Drums way too loud in the mix
5) Steve completely avoiding the interesting bass lines
Harsh, but honest.

Just read this on Wikipedia:

NME were extremely unfavourable towards the release, arguing that the band's past "dismissal of the outside world, which kept them safe all those years, now leaves them looking rather obsolete". The magazine also compared the band to more contemporary acts such as Korn and Slipknot and felt Iron Maiden were "no longer the high priests of the black arts, and seem almost innocent by comparison". Blabbermouth.net were also negative, stating that the band sound "tired and uninspired", and concluding that "[Brave New World] will fail to leave a lasting mark on the face of the current metal scene.

Crazy to think NME and Blabbermouth were so hard. They could easily have done Out of the Silent Planet and The Fallen Angel in the set for the entire original tour back in 2001 (they could have replaced Wrathchild with The Fallen Angel and maybe Out of the Silent Planet in the encores instead of Sanctuary. But if it was up to me this album tour should have been a full album performance, just like A Matter of Life and Death. The next logical step in regard to the Iron Maiden history tour setup would be some form of celebration of this album. They could do a 25th anniversary tour of it in 2025 and throw in Bring Your Daughter, Lord of the Flies and Man on the Edge so we get a few those rarley played 90's songs. That would be 13 songs, so theres room of 4-5 overplayed "classics" ;)

Last edited:
I remember this attitude well when I was a kid. Maiden were “has beens” and were frequently criticized for not modernizing their sound to keep up with the Nu Metal craze. I feel like the respect they have now as a legacy act didn’t start to manifest until the last decade.

Maiden were always cool in France. The fanbase that the band has in there is crazy. Despite the fact that some people in Victor Hugo's country didn't like Blaze Bayley when he replaced Bruce Dickinson behind the microphone, most of the fans still supported Steve Harris and co. during The X Factor and Virtual XI era. I was one of them. In France, a lot of progressive or prog related bands have seen the light of day during the 90's as Manigance or Eternal Flight, that's why most of metalhead kept an eye and some interest into Maiden's work during this period of band's career.

Yeah, Maiden played for 6000-8000 in 1998 in Sweden following the Best of the Beast as well, compared to a few hundred in Gothenburg in 1995. Maiden did fairly well during the Blaze years in parts of the world, all things considered.

I don't know, by 2005 at the latest, Maiden were cool again, in Sweden anyway.

Yep I'd put it around that time too.

They played Dublin for the first time in 7 years in 2003. They sold out the Point, which I suspect was probably the first time they'd sold it out (1993 was half full, I wasn't there in 1990 but would be surprised if it was sold out), and in 2005 they played an outdoor Rugby stadium to I think something like 24,000, which was unprecedented although Marilyn Manson as support certainly contributed.

They were definitely bigger than they ever had been in Ireland by that stage.

As much as I love Brave New World and AMOLAD, they haven't left a lasting mark in the metal scene of 00s the way Painkiller did since 1990s. Though they left for sure a huge lasting mark on us, Maidenfans, and that is one of the reasons that eventually became so big again.

As much as I love Brave New World and AMOLAD, they haven't left a lasting mark in the metal scene of 00s the way Painkiller did since 1990s.
You’re comparing apples to oranges. BNW was a massive landmark in metal in the early 2000s because it was the definitive comeback record from a band regrouping with a former singer. Even Judas Priest felt the ripples of this and Halford eventually joined the fold again, only Angel of Retribution didn’t rock the boat nearly as much as BNW. Painkiller is from a different era altogether and should not be used as a reference point. It was a comeback album, but in a very different way.

You’re comparing apples to oranges. BNW was a massive landmark in metal in the early 2000s because it was the definitive comeback record from a band regrouping with a former singer. Even Judas Priest felt the ripples of this and Halford eventually joined the fold again, only Angel of Retribution didn’t rock the boat nearly as much as BNW. Painkiller is from a different era altogether and should not be used as a reference point. It was a comeback album, but in a very different way.

Put aside fruits, eras and come back concept for a second. Painkiller is such a good album that it exists in many people's list as the best Judas Priest ever or as best Metal's ever.

BNW's impact was due to it being a very solid album after two borderline bad albums, great sound after poor sound, great singer after an insufficient one, return of Adrian, better songwriting, many things. When dust was settled you still had a great album but not of such grandeur to be widely considered as best Maiden, let alone Metal.

Back