Hammersmith 84

Christopher Baines

Educated Fool
Theres a qoute on LAD wiki page from Bruce thats says the whole video was meant to be from London but Dave Lights was at war with lighting but the lighting was too dark at Hammy so they shot at LA. Does that mean Hammy 84 was shot too or is Bruce mis remembering and mixing it up with Hammy 82?

He is mixing it up with Hammy 82.
Are you sure? I know they didn’t like the colors for ‘82 and shelved the live album concept for later, but I thought there was some intent to do Hammersmith ‘84 as the Live After Death release that ended up expanding to Long Beach due to some business or other. Maybe I’m getting stories confused.

The shows in Hammersmith were all recorded (NOT FILMED by the band) with the intention of releasing them as their first live album (AKA Live After Death). The BBC did film little parts of it and conducted some interviews with Keith Wilfort and some fans but that's it.

The show that was screwed up because of lightning was the one they played at Hammersmith 82.

The band didn't film any of the shows in Hammersmith in 84 because they weren't using their full production and they wanted the video to show how BIG they were.

The shows in Hammersmith were all recorded (NOT FILMED by the band) with the intention of releasing them as their first live album (AKA Live After Death). The BBC did film little parts of it and conducted some interviews with Keith Wilfort and some fans but that's it.

The show that was screwed up because of lightning was the one they played at Hammersmith 82.

The band didn't film any of the shows in Hammersmith in 84 because they weren't using their full production and they wanted the video to show how BIG they were.
I figured as much. Bruce mis remembering again. Lets hope he never gets to write the history of Iron Maiden. It'll be so factually inacurate. Be good to see what the BBC filmed though

To my eyes theres nothing wrong with Hammy 82 lightning
Come on, once every two songs, the musicians looked like they belonged in the Blue Man Group.
640px-Blue_Man4_%28SP%29_2009_Brazil.JPG

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
To my eyes theres nothing wrong with Hammy 82 lightning
The footage was pitch dark as the film they were using was no good under dark lighting. The 2005 dvd managed to digitally improve the film negative by a good enough degree for it to be released.

I like the vibe of Hammersmith 1982 but it would’ve never worked as the band’s first live video (with Bruce) in 1982. It’s so dark and the colors are way off, and keep in mind what they released on dvd is a digital restoration. It’s a step down compared to Live at the Rainbow and doesn’t capture the band’s immensity the way Live After Death eventually does.

On the other hand, it’s interesting that they went for an aesthetically similar production for the Maiden England dvd. The true beginning of the “back to the roots” 90s Maiden aesthetic.

I was 2 years old. At that age I’d probably have been fine had they released the Hammersmith video.

Also: how is Hammersmith pronounced? It looks like hammer smith, but I’ve heard it pronounced hammer smythe.

The other thing (for the VHS being shelved originally) was that Adrian had broken his ribs and was in a cast that made him look like the Michelin Man... which is difficult not to notice once you know it, and which explains he is so seldom to be seen on the footage.

1680031814194.png
No, seriously, he must have hurt pretty bad!

The other thing (for the VHS being shelved originally) was that Adrian had broken his ribs and was in a cast that made him look like the Michelin Man... which is difficult not to notice once you know it, and which explains he is so seldom to be seen on the footage.

View attachment 25116
No, seriously, he must have hurt pretty bad!
Was that the one where he was all “trussed up like a chicken?”

Back