Opinions needed on this plesse.

I ordered a rare Maiden CD single (Dutch copy of Wasting Love) on ebay this morning. In the photos on the listing, I could see that the teeth on the spindle that holds the disc in the case were broken. This means the disc will be rattling around inside the case during delivery and will get scratched. So I messaged the seller 5 minutes after paying and asked them if they could send the CD and the paper inserts but not the broken case. They messaged back and said that they will send the CD in the broken case but if there are any problems with the disc they will refund me after I return the CD. I messaged them again immediately and said that the disc will get scratched. They never replied and I got a notification about 2 hours later that the item has been dispatched.

So now, instead of looking forward to getting this rare CD, I am expecting to receive a scratched disc that is not in the very good condition that was advertised, and am going to have to return a rare CD that I may never get a chance to own ever again.

Am I overreacting, or has this seller been a completely illogical fool? I specifically requested that they send the disc and cover art in a paper envelope that will make the postage cheaper for them too. They dismissed that request, and now they probably won't get to keep my money and I probably won't get to keep the very rare CD that I will probably never get the chance to buy again. I'm so frustrated. I collect Maiden stuff. I take it quite seriously and spend a lot of money on it. I just wanted to get some other people's viewpoints on this situation if possible.

Thanks for reading.

Andy

Last edited:
Chances are they're selling a huge amount of stuff and have no interest in customer service, just getting it out of the door as quick as possible. That stinks and I'm sorry that the seller has you kinda by the nuts. Fingers are crossed the CD arrives okay. I guess if it's damaged it's their money they lose. But don't be surprised to see them re-list the item 3 months down the road with scratches and all.

Chances are they're selling a huge amount of stuff and have no interest in customer service, just getting it out of the door as quick as possible. That stinks and I'm sorry that the seller has you kinda by the nuts. Fingers are crossed the CD arrives okay. I guess if it's damaged it's their money they lose. But don't be surprised to see them re-list the item 3 months down the road with scratches and all.
This seller is charging collector prices for rare CDs, but treating the CDs like 50p car boot sale crap once they're sold.

The seller knows the CD is rare and is charging a high price, but then doesn't treat it like a rare collector's item when sending it to the collector who buys it. It makes me want to punch a wall or something. So needless and frustrating.

Having been the unfortunate buyer of a few CDs with broken holds, all of them have still played as normal. The shaking is more minimal than you’d think; the real issue is forgetting they’re broken when you open the case up. But you never know what might happen so hopefully you’ll have the same luck.

I ordered a rare Maiden CD single (Dutch copy of Wasting Love) on ebay this morning. In the photos on the listing, I could see that the teeth on the spindle that holds the disc in the case were broken. This means the disc will be rattling around inside the case during delivery and will get scratched. So I messaged the seller 5 minutes after paying and asked them if they could send the CD and the paper inserts but not the broken case. They messaged back and said that they will send the CD in the broken case but if there are any problems with the disc they will refund me after I return the CD. I messaged them again immediately and said that the disc will get scratched. They never replied and I got a notification about 2 hours later that the item has been dispatched.

So now, instead of looking forward to getting this rare CD, I am expecting to receive a scratched disc that is not in the very good condition that was advertised, and am going to have to return a rare CD that I may never get a chance to own ever again.

Am I overreacting, or has this seller been a completely illogical fool? I specifically requested that they send the disc and cover art in a paper envelope that will make the postage cheaper for them too. They dismissed that request, and now they probably won't get to keep my money and I probably won't get to keep the very rare CD that I will probably never get the chance to buy again. I'm so frustrated. I collect Maiden stuff. I take it quite seriously and spend a lot of money on it. I just wanted to get some other people's viewpoints on this situation if possible.

Thanks for reading.

Andy

It might be ok, and try a CD cleaner kit, they usually do a good job. But if it is scratched and the kit doesn't clean it up then send it back.

It might be ok, and try a CD cleaner kit, they usually do a good job. But if it is scratched and the kit doesn't clean it up then send it back.
Thank you. I was lucky enough to win an auction for an autographed copy of Blaze Bayley's December Wind album last night, and the price was luckily very low. So that has kind of made up for the bad experience with the seller of the Wasting Love CD.

s-l400 (1).jpg

s-l400 (2).jpg

I'd say it's too late to worry too much about it. Which sucks and I'm sorry. Inspect the CD when you get it and leave a shitty/detailed review of the person who sold it to you. Also, assuming the CD is in ok condition when you receive it, go and buy a new/different case (same style) to house the CD so its risk of getting scratched is diminished.

Edit: Curious, what's the difference with the Dutch version of this CD single? I own a CD copy of Wasting Love and not sure if its Dutch or what.

I'd say it's too late to worry too much about it. Which sucks and I'm sorry. Inspect the CD when you get it and leave a shitty/detailed review of the person who sold it to you. Also, assuming the CD is in ok condition when you receive it, go and buy a new/different case (same style) to house the CD so its risk of getting scratched is diminished.

Edit: Curious, what's the difference with the Dutch version of this CD single? I own a CD copy of Wasting Love and not sure if its Dutch or what.
Rarity is what drives the price up. Can you show a photo of the copy of Wasting Love you have? It could be the Canadian promo CD, the Dutch CD single version or the unofficial version of the Canadian promo that looks like an official release. The official Canadian promo is worth about £700. The Dutch CD is worth about £40 to £60. The unofficial copy of the Canadian promo is worth about £40 to £60 too.

Last edited:
Future reference, you can also ask to tape down the CD to the edges of the tray to minimize shaking. That’s much less of a hassle to the seller and will do the job.

Rarity is what drives the price up. Can you show a photo of the copy of Wasting Love you have? It could be the Canadian promo CD, the Dutch CD single version or the unofficial version of the Canadian promo that looks like an official release. The official Canadian promo is worth about £700. The Dutch CD is worth about £40 to £60. The unofficial copy of the Canadian promo is worth about £40 to £60 too.
Here’s some pics. A cursory search on Discogs tells me this is the Dutch version.

Attachments

• 5F460EEE-8A2D-4ECB-B93B-C0BA0214866B.jpeg
    5F460EEE-8A2D-4ECB-B93B-C0BA0214866B.jpeg
    470.5 KB · Views: 5
  • A913AEF3-BB69-4263-A5D2-3135F6387DA5.jpeg
    A913AEF3-BB69-4263-A5D2-3135F6387DA5.jpeg
    314.9 KB · Views: 6
Back