Best song contest - Round 1, Part 12

Which one is the best song in Brave New World

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Eli

Educated Fool
The Clansman was the winner in part 11 as predicted, however it was nice to see there were other favourites in Virtual XI. Especially Futureal received considerable amount of votes. I think we've made it clear that Virtual XI has more than The Clansman to offer...

Anyway, we're done with the 90s as well, and now we are getting into what I consider "the real golden years" of the band. With Bruce back on vocals and the 3 amigos on guitars, I think they started to make much better music than ever before (I don't expect everybody to agree of course)...

However, I believe most of you will agree that Brave New World is one of the finest albums they have released. I'm really excited to see your votes as every song in this album sounds great for me and I cannot make any guesses.

Already in round 2: Phantom of the Opera, Killers, Hallowed Be Thy Name, Revelations, Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Caught Somewhere in Time, Infinite Dreams, No Prayer for the Dying, Fear of the Dark, Sign of the Cross, The Clansman

Blood Brothers, partly because of that great solo Janick plays, which IMO is the best solo in Iron Maiden history. However, I'm fine with whichever song wins as I like them all.

Ghost of the Navigator. Easily a top-ten song for me, and one of the finest songs Janick ever wrote (but not the finest, that's coming later). Everything about it is just top-notch, I particularly love the shift in tone from the beautiful, tranquil opening melody into the dark and foreboding verses, got a killer solo and post-solo breakdown too. And on top of that, it forms possibly the best one-two punch of any Maiden album.

To me this album is structured as the reverse of The Final Frontier in that I very much enjoy the first 4 songs - especially Ghost of the Navigator - but (with one notable exception) have less interest in the back half.

There are some good songs on TFF first half but the back half beginning with Isle of Avalon is just fucking brilliant.

Anyways my favorite song on BNW is The Nomad so I'll be voting for that song.

For me this is between "The Wicker Man", "Brave New World", and "Out Of The Silent Planet", all 9/10 songs. They all have their charms, but I'm going to give the tip of the hat to "Out Of The Silent Planet" for its scorching verses, epic melodies, sweet interlude, and unusual but cool vocal harmonies on the chorus.

Much harder to pick a best on this album, it's choka filled with great songs. Oh, what a difference it is to have Bruce and Adrian back. Going from an album with no good songs to an album with no bad songs.

My fav here is Dream of Mirrors. I also love the chorus on The thin line between love and hate but it is let down because I don't like the verses.
Nomad has a fantastic instrumental section.

Ghost of the Navigator. Easily a top-ten song for me, and one of the finest songs Janick ever wrote (but not the finest, that's coming later). Everything about it is just top-notch, I particularly love the shift in tone from the beautiful, tranquil opening melody into the dark and foreboding verses, got a killer solo and post-solo breakdown too. And on top of that, it forms possibly the best one-two punch of any Maiden album.
I couldn't tell better than that:)

Ok, I think BNW is one of their best albums ever. It's really strong package and I love each song here.
I could have picked any song for this round and proved to be more problematic choice to do now..
Every song delivers, the album starts energetic with the The Wicker Man, then the next few songs carry on that same spirit as we get Ghost Of The Navigator and Brave New World. Really strong run of songs from the first 4...examplary strong songs and those really form the basis of masterpiece album. Blood Brothers is among the finest moments as I really like the middle part and the solo is one of the best from Janick. I think it's actually his finest so far. Ghost Of The Navigator is among their alltime favorites but I still decided to give my vote to other:
I decided to pick The Fallen Angel this round, it's forgotten little rocker and it's really compact. They should have used this far more ofthen in the setlists as it was only played live 7 times in 2000-2001 (if setlists.fm has correct info).

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Eli
Back