The Concert Thread

I was in Paris on Sunday and Maiden were in top form, a real marked improvement from the Belfast gig, I guess they were a little sluggish after 3 years off but are getting back up to match fitness now. I was worried that we might be getting an announcement about Nicko after the slow tempo of a lot of the set in Belfast but all those worries are completely gone now. Also the sound was so much better than the outdoor gig.

All the stage theatre bits work way better in the dark, obviously, you don't realise the band are on stage at the start of senjutsu etc., you can't see the set being changed etc. and it basically has the intended effect.

Also saw British Lion on the Saturday night, they were very good too, and a big surprise seeing Doug Sampson in the support band!

Seen Guns N Roses last night in Dublin, fantastic set. Anyone put off in the past by the antics of Axl delaying the show etc. should check them out if they have a chance as he seems to have learned what it means to be professional by working with AC/DC

Seen Guns N Roses last night in Dublin, fantastic set. Anyone put off in the past by the antics of Axl delaying the show etc. should check them out if they have a chance as he seems to have learned what it means to be professional by working with AC/DC

That is good to hear. Unfortunately, I still find his voice utterly nauseating.

Glad to hear you had a great time though.

I saw them a few years ago in Florence by chance as they were at the same festival Maiden were playing, and they were great there too. If I hadn't have seen that I would have never gone to them given some of the farcical antics in the past. The previous gig in Dublin when it was Axl and hired goons, he didn't come on stage until well after 10 o'clock meaning people on public transport had to leave not long after the gig had even started. Luckily I wasn't there as I had no interested in seeing Axl on his own.

I saw them a few years ago in Florence by chance as they were at the same festival Maiden were playing, and they were great there too. If I hadn't have seen that I would have never gone to them given some of the farcical antics in the past. The previous gig in Dublin when it was Axl and hired goons, he didn't come on stage until well after 10 o'clock meaning people on public transport had to leave not long after the gig had even started. Luckily I wasn't there as I had no interested in seeing Axl on his own.

My problem is not with Axl’s despicable lack of professionalism and silly antics; I just cannot stand his voice, so whilst I find some of their songs to be quite good, the moment Axl starts singing puts me off.

I'll be brutally honest: I have always found Guns N'Roses terribly overrated. Even The Guardian could only choose 20 songs off them, when most artists had top 30 and top 40 lists. :devil2:

Only 20 songs...

30 songs!

40 songs!

Sorry Axl. :p

• Love
Reactions: Jer
Now Katatonia have announced a tour, visiting my favourite Manchester venue in Feb 2023, just a few days before I go to see Gojira in Newcastle. I could soon be making up for the last two years.

I'll be brutally honest: I have always found Guns N'Roses terribly overrated. Even The Guardian could only choose 20 songs off them, when most artists had top 30 and top 40 lists. :devil2:

I know this is silly discussion but there's also a lot more tracks to choose from. Maiden got 17 albums in their catalog - Guns N' Roses 4 albums and 1 EP. That they are able to find 20 great songs from Guns and *only* 30 from Maiden says something about the classics Guns managed to pen :D

I know this is silly discussion but there's also a lot more tracks to choose from. Maiden got 17 albums in their catalog - Guns N' Roses 4 albums and 1 EP. That they are able to find 20 great songs from Guns and *only* 30 from Maiden says something about the classics Guns managed to pen :D

Classics, what classics? :D Apart from the debut album, which is indeed pretty good, the majority of their oeuvre is vastly overrated.

I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree.

Reactions: Jer
Saw Steve Vai yesterday. It was great; first rate musicians, great energy from everyone, and entertaining as well. Apparently they almost didn’t make it to the concert, because their tourbus broke down. Vai said, coming from Italy, the air condition of their bus was still broken, and they’ve got Spain coming up :scared:
Anyways: Maiden and Vai in one week... :shred:

Thinking of going to Roger Waters' in the round arena tour. Missed out on Gilmour's tour several years ago and I've kicked myself over it countless times.

I'm seeing Rage Against The Machine tomorrow.
So getting in was hell. It took over an hour to drive 4 miles from our hotel to the Venue. Honestly would have been better off walking. Ended up missing the opening act entirely. Got there in just enough time to grab a beer and head to our spot before Rage took the stage.

Getting out was even worse. Stuck in the parking lot for 2 hours after the show.

In the end it was completely worth it. Great show. A ton of energy.

During the 2nd to last song, "Freedom", several messages were shown on the screen relating to issues in this country. I snapped a pic of one.

20220709_223414.jpg

The very last message was: ABORT THE SUPREME COURT. That's something I can get behind.

If I'm reading things right, Dark Tranquility are going to be supporting Amorphis and Eluveitie in Manchester. :eek:

This could be the best value gig I've been to yet. It pleases me even more than Katatonia and Paradise Lost on the same bill (at the same venue as this, incidentally).

Saw Zebra last night and 40 years after their amazing debut lp, still put on a great show. The encore was a jaw dropping cover of Kashmir by Zeppelin.

So for the remainder of the year, I really want to catch The Ocean, Cult of Luna and Opeth (on the 30th anniversary tour).

The Ocean's show on October 1st in Budapest suits me the most, so that's probably where I'm going. It's a Saturday, and I haven't been in Budapest for a long time. LLNN and Playgrounded are opening.

Cult of Luna's show on October 17th, also in Budapest, suits me the most on this tour. Caspian are opening. But then I discovered that the day before, Behemoth, Arch Enemy, Carcass and Unto Others are also in Budapest, and it'd be a waste not to come there a day earlier and catch this too. But then I discovered that Amon Amarth and Machine Head are also in Budapest a day after Cult of Luna, so it'd be another waste not to catch that, even though I already saw both bands live and don't care for Machine Head.

For Opeth, Barcelona show on November 23st suits me the most as it's an all-standing show (fuck seats) and the location (while far away) has direct cheap flights from Belgrade. And Voivod are opening. BUT THEN I DISCOVERED that Powerwolf are playing there 2 days before with DragonForce and Warkings, and Alter Bridge are playing there a day before Powerwolf, with Halestorm opening.

I have to make a spreadsheet to see how much all the concert tickets, transportation and accommodation will cost me, but it's doable if I don't leave it until the last moment like I always do.

Also I'd go alone to all these, so if someone from here attends, hit me up.

Back