Bruce Dickinson

I'm just wondering, do you there is any issues working with Roy Z (regarding his personal life, occupation status etc) that prevents Bruce from doing another solo album with him? I also remember some not too pleasant facebook posts from Z a couple of years ago. He also diminished as a producer fully for the last 10 years. What does the guy do for a living today?

Just my thought:

Will Bruce search for another producer if he actually were to do another record (and just buy the older material from Roy Z)?

But also, I don't think it makes any sense financially to do it anymore. I don't know what he sold worldwide, but looking at U.S sales from 2005, his market there was a bit limited even then, and know CD sales are non existent:

BRUCE DICKINSON Solo
Tattooed Millionaire (1990) - 20,875 (just so low because Nielsen Soundscan started counting sales after its release)
Balls To Picasso (1994) - 65,317
Alive In Studio A (1995) - 9,897
Skunkworks (1996) - 20,361
Accident Of Birth (1997) - 45,921
Chemical Wedding (1998) - 41,363
Scream For Me Brazil (1999) - 10,381
Best Of Bruce Dickinson (2001) - 17,334

What do you think?
IMHO, the sales in Europe for Bruce Dickinson's solo albums were better than in US, because european people are more attached to Iron Maiden or Maiden members' solo stuff than everyone else in this world. After all, the old continent is the band's cradle. That's normal if the sales were less important in the USA.

Bruce enjoys more creative control on the recent Maiden albums than he ever had in the 80s/90s and even prior to Tyranny of Souls.
True, but I think he still has a desire to finish this solo album - he will if he really wants to (it seems he enjoys the book tour a lot). His return to Maiden was at the cost of his solo career. I don't know if he will release solo albums after the retirement of Maiden - probably, but not so often.

Maybe another reason is because he wants to go on tour for his solo albums - sadly, TOS was without a tour and with Maiden as a priority, the schedule is tight (although with Maiden's touring schedule in recent years he can squeeze a few shows).

According to Roy, the album is almost finished: ''We have 17 songs just sitting''.

Also not necessarily finished songs. 17 songs could equal 17 riff ideas that Bruce made some lyrics for. They might not even be finished demos.

The only reason he isn’t making a solo album right now is that he’s clearly not interested in it.

His output on Senjutsu wasn't great* either, a few sets of lyrics written in the studio with Adrian giving him the titles of the songs as a starting point hardly point at Bruce being full of ideas.

*by great I mean from a quantity point of view, there's nothing wrong with the quality of the songs.

Last edited:
His output on Senjutsu wasn't great* either, a few sets off lyrics written in the studio with Adrian giving him the titles of the songs as a starting point hardly point at Bruce being full of ideas.

*by great I mean from a quantity point of view, there's nothing wrong with the quality of the songs.

Not saying that his input on Senjutsu is not good, but I personally think his contributions on TBOS were much better.

Yea I wonder if there was a lot of rejected material this time around. Everyone’s output is comparatively lower besides Steve.

Of course Bruce may have contributed less because he’s saving stuff for a solo album.

Yea I wonder if there was a lot of rejected material this time around. Everyone’s output is comparatively lower besides Steve.

Of course Bruce may have contributed less because he’s saving stuff for a solo album.

Or he had other things to worry about at the time. :innocent:

Also not necessarily finished songs. 17 songs could equal 17 riff ideas that Bruce made some lyrics for. They might not even be finished demos.
I think ''just sitting'' means finished songs... probably waiting to be recorded. I also doubt he is saving stuff for his solo album - it's just that this time Steve wrote the majority of the album.

Fantastic show tonight at the Audi Arena in Gyor. I didn't know the concerto very well before but it was very impressive, all musicians being absolutely excellent.
Bruce delivered an outstanding performance, one of the very best I had the chance to attend, and I have seen him many times. He was very very well-prepared, in a good temper and it was obvious that he enjoyed being there. He nailed every song that was on the additional and great setlist that was performed after the regular concerto, including Beethoven 9th, Perfect strangers, Hush (performed twice!), Smoke, Blind man and a couple of others I didn't recognize. The end of the show turned from a well-behaved classical evening into a proper club rock show when the crowd stood up from their seats and moved to the front, dancing and singing. We could almost touch the musicians, no barrier or security or whatsoever. Everyone on stage had a great time and I will remeber and cherish this evening forever.

Back