Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

You wanted a Priest-type of song from Maiden -> Senjutsu
You wanted a short rocker in the classic style of Maiden from the 80's -> Stratego
You wanted a song with different and new things for the band's sound -> The Writing On The Wall
You wanted a The X Factor song with Bruce and Adrian -> Lost In A Lost World
You wanted a Maiden song with a vibe from Bruce's solo albums (AOB/TCW) -> Days Of Future Past
You wanted a song with a vibe from the early reunion days -> The Time Machine
You wanted a proper ballad from Maiden -> Darkest Hour
You wanted a Virtual XI song with Bruce and Adrian -> Death Of The Celts (also the culmination of the ''Celtic'' melodies)
You wanted an instrumental (sort of) with a lot of melodies and (6!) solos -> The Parchment
You wanted a classic Maiden epic -> Hell On Earth

Only one song with IM/Killers and NPFTD/FOTD vibe is missing. The album is quite ''rich'' though.
in what way is Senjutsu a Priest-type song? Anything you would compare it to? I'm familiar with all the albums since Rob rejoined, as well as British Steel, SFV, DOTF. There's a bunch I haven't heard.

in what way is Senjutsu a Priest-type song? Anything you would compare it to? I'm familiar with all the albums since Rob rejoined, as well as British Steel, SFV, DOTF. There's a bunch I haven't heard.
the only Priest song i think it could be somewhat like is The Sentinel from DOTF but even then not really so I can't really see the comparison unless it sounds like something from Jugulator/Demolition but i don't remember those albums. If anything the song puts me in mind of early 90's Sepultura

Even that little glimpse of Eddie at the end could serve as a nice teaser before revealing him on the album cover.
This would have been great, yes.

The video would have been much much better if the whole animation was like Eddie at the end. Also the concept of the video could have been the Samurai Eddie to battle all Eddies from the previous album covers (for example) and the end to be the same.
in what way is Senjutsu a Priest-type song?
The riff, the verses, the whole delivery of the vocals. At least for me.

I maintain that the video for Virus was Maiden at rock bottom. Their absolute career low point. Ground zero for everything that went wrong for them in the 90's. And yes, it did make them a laughing stock.

Imagine one of the biggest metal bands of all time reduced to a zero budget video shot on a mate's camcorder. They all look embarrassed to be there. Except Steve, he probably thought it was amazing.

But yeah, if you seriously watched the professionally done, skillfully animated and fully narrative video for Stratego and thought "I'd much rather be watching crash-zooms of an embarrassed looking Maiden in a poorly lit cellar" then you need your nugget examined.
It is not just that. What the hell was this thing with the drums? A drum machine or something? The dancing groove. The "5 year old child playing Maiden" guitars? Dude just thinking about that period makes my stomach ache!

Blaze and his own band turned it into a pretty cool track live though:

Detuned guitars so Blaze didn't need to sound so strained, and the guitarists added some guitar harmonies, together with good production (mixed by Andy Sneap).
Yep it is much better!

Detuned guitars so Blaze didn't need to sound so strained, and the guitarists added some guitar harmonies, together with good production (mixed by Andy Sneap).

Blaze's own versions of his Maiden tunes often sound as if they've finally taken on their true form . Case in point would be Look for the Truth from Alive in Poland and Edge of Darkness from The Night that Would not Die, with the former becoming a rousing fan singalong and the latter becoming crushingly heavy.

The verse riffs.. very Priestish. Or Halfordish (the band).
And the vocals too. I can hear Halford doing those, maybe an octave higher. Would love to hear them both on this.

Do you kniw the oficial sales worldwide of all the reunión albums? I know with the Internet and all the sharing programs are not as good as 80s but i would like to know

Every Blaze era Maiden song he did live in his solo band was better than it was on the albums.

Back