Please post reviews and thoughts on Senjutsu here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very heavy and dark album, still mixed feelings, grower for sure. I must say Harris is pretty annoying with recycling stuff and structuring song like legos. Don't have rating yet, but not sure it's there with BNW and AMOLAD.
yep, immediate reaction no even all the way through is that it's better than TFF and TBOS (for me) but not sure about DOD and so far not going to topple AMOLAD or BNW

All I know is I am really liking the album. For me, its a great improvement over TBOS.

Where it ranks with others? I dont know- it will take a month (or more) for the dust to settle, but I am really liking the melodies and some of the surprises!

To those ranking the album among the others- slow down! Everyone is so eager to consume media these days. Just relax a bit and enjoy it (if you do).

Hell On Earth is the best closer of the post reunion era. I would say Empire but that's basically on it's own island.
I hadn't thought about this, but yeah, for sure. I think it's miles ahead of Empire (upon first impressions).

Hey @gazda you managed to listen it in your VLCC? How did you like it? Are you still in anchorage?
No, not yet.

Yesterday we entered Persian Gulf and internet speed is so bad that I cannot even open YT app on phone.

Still waiting for album on Spotify. Now here is 01:00 LT, but our IP is Norway so two more hrs to midnight for my Spotify.

Hell On Earth is the best closer of the post reunion era. I would say Empire but that's basically on it's own island.
I have no concept of a play order on songs.
I put them onto my ipod and always play in random mode. So I don't care in the least what is the opening song or the closing song.
I don't even buy media formats that have an order. My computers don't have a CD player so I can't rip a physical CD and I won't carry a portable CD player, I have no time in my life to sit in a room and listen on a stereo CD player or a vinyl record player (which has static thrown into the mix).
Each song has its own merits and that has nothing to do with order.

But I'm not saying you are wrong, plenty of people care about order, just not me. :eek:

i'd be all for a Hell On Earth truncated beginning/end to get it to a reasonable 8 minute mark or whatever. it's a great song when it's actually a song and not noodling lol. but, yeah, so many great songs they never play that could get in there so i'm personally really leery of any song over 7 minutes live

I also have no care about the length of time a song goes for. I have no preconceived notion of the ideal length of a song.
But if songs have horrible intros like The Legacy, Talisman, Time Machine (they take the second worst intro they have ever done and slap it onto the beginning of three songs, I guess Gers likes the idea but realises he hasn't got it right, so keeps trying and keeps trying. That's three songs I am forced to remove the intro from - although I might get rid of the whole Time Machine song - time will tell), also I had to remove Satalite 15, who is going to sit through that every time they listen to Final Frontier???.

But anyway, again. You are entitled to your view, many people probably agree with you. Song length isn't a thing I worry about.

I have no concept of a play order on songs.
I put them onto my ipod and always play in random mode. So I don't care in the least what is the opening song or the closing song.
I don't even buy media formats that have an order. My computers don't have a CD player so I can't rip a physical CD and I won't carry a portable CD player, I have no time in my life to sit in a room and listen on a stereo CD player or a vinyl record player (which has static thrown into the mix).
Each song has its own merits and that has nothing to do with order.

But I'm not saying you are wrong, plenty of people care about order, just not me. :eek:

I also have no care about the length of time a song goes for. I have no preconceived notion of the ideal length of a song.
But if songs have horrible intros like The Legacy, Talisman, Time Machine (they take the second worst intro they have ever done and slap it onto the beginning of three songs, I guess Gers likes the idea but realises he hasn't got it right, so keeps trying and keeps trying. That's three songs I am forced to remove the intro from - although I might get rid of the whole Time Machine song - time will tell), also I had to remove Satalite 15, who is going to sit through that every time they listen to Final Frontier???.

But anyway, again. You are entitled to your view, many people probably agree with you. Song length isn't a thing I worry about.

Interesting views. I was tempted to chop off some bits of Picasso’s Guernica as I do not think they worked as well as the rest of the painting but had second thoughts about it.

Joking aside, I would say the intro to The Talisman is perfect, setting the scene to what is coming next. I have always seen the song as Maiden’s take on Wishbone Ash’s Time Was (a fantastic song if you ask me).

My hot take: that's not a high bar. Maiden hasn't had a classic album closer since "Fear of the Dark", and before that "Rime". They haven't been a great album-closer band in decades.

My hot take: that's not a high bar. Maiden hasn't had a classic album closer since "Fear of the Dark", and before that "Rime". They haven't been a great album-closer band in decades.
Yeah I agree with you. I realized that while thinking about the statement. I quite like The Legacy and WTWWB, though. And would add Alex was well because you skipped it.

Yeah I agree with you. I realized that while thinking about the statement. I quite like The Legacy and WTWWB, though. And would add Alex was well because you skipped it.
To be honest, my mind blanked on Wild Wind. That does qualify as a great closer. But I didn't "skip" Alexander -- I've always thought that song was overrated.

Reactions: jcv
Joking aside, I would say the intro to The Talisman is perfect, setting the scene to what is coming next. I have always seen the song as Maiden’s take on Wishbone Ash’s Time Was (a fantastic song if you ask me).
The funny thing is, I actually like it in the end part of that Okeefe video where that little girl sings the intro. Its quite nice when she does it.

But, when I listen to songs, It's my time that I am spending there. I don't want to sit through that for several minutes before I get the the parts that I actually love from Talisman.

To be honest, my mind blanked on Wild Wind. That does qualify as a great closer. But I didn't "skip" Alexander -- I've always thought that song was overrated.
Yeah, I got that, I was just throwing great closers imo and added Alex (since we were talking at first about reunion tracks).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back