The MAIDEN Years: 2018/19/20/21/22/ad infinitum (Rock in Rio and Nights of the Dead)

I’m one of the rare breed that prefers Accident over Chemical.
Me too. A more warm, melodic album.
Still, CW is a hell of an album. Great memories seeing a concert from that tour. The first time I ever saw Adrian Smith and there was such a cool setlist (Powerslave!) and vibe. Bruce was mindblowing.

This thread is amazing.

VXI was when I gave up on Maiden. I remember seeing an interview with them on Viva TV where Janick said that, contrary to other bands, they had a lot of “depth”. Then I saw TAATG and some live performances... “Depth”, my ass. I was embarassed that I’d been a fan.

Exactly this. I may have seen (or maybe read) the same interview and I smiled bitterly. That year they played a concert in a nice place 500m away from my place. I didn't bother. I gave up on Maiden on 23 March 1998*. I didn't bother to buy the album as well. Listened to the borrowed CD for a couple of days and then I gave it back.

I had liked the single shorten version of TA&TG quite a lot, but when I listened to the studio version I took it as an insult Harris was giving to us fans. So I gave up on them with a frustration.
When Maiden came again with Bruce one year later, I still didn't go. I was waiting for a killer album first in order to bite.

*I got hooked up once again and for good on 29 May 2000.

On the other hand, Chemical Wedding was and still is the best thing Bruce ever did IMO, and moreover, I was glad that he’d started experimenting again after the excellent but more traditional AOB.

Early 1995 I discovered William Blake in an old bookstore and been blown away (ever since).
Later that year the film Dead Man was released. Sick movie, sicker soundtrack by Neil Young, my all time best movie.
Then Chemical Wedding came around; the pinnacle of a life time for Bruce and my most beloved (metal) album of them all, including Maiden.

People missed a tour featuring Sign of the Cross, Hallowed Be Thy Name and Afraid to Shoot Strangers, played back to back. Blaze sang better than in 1995.

And then one tour featuring a setlist with Aces High, Killers, Powerslave and Phantom of the Opera. Because they were insulted.

I felt the insulted fans insulted the band and the other loyal fans with their exaggerated intolerance. It really went far online.

Well, I'm glad I did not miss these experiences.

Virtual XI yes yes
Let me start by saying I dont like the name not that it matters, probably hurt sales tho
This is a very good album that did a lot right.
First track is futureal, one of the best openers along with Aces High, it has that sudden kick needed to open a gig with fireworks and shit. I'd like to see one maiden gig that starts with it.
The clansman is the fourth song, for some reason Id expect the epic to be the closer but como estais amigos is a very nice song and does good job too.
TAATG works better with the single edit, they could prolong it live but have the 6 minute version on the album, the 4 minute version is too chopped.
This album has some very tasty solos like TAATG and in general has a 70s hard rock feeling. Some parts stuck in your head and you are trying to find what popular 70s rock song it is only to discover its from VXI.
The whole football thing Im not a fan of tbh.
Also very sad they used these ed hunter renders instead of the Riggs stuff for single sleeves

People missed a tour featuring Sign of the Cross, Hallowed Be Thy Name and Afraid to Shoot Strangers, played back to back. Blaze sang better than in 1995.

And then one tour featuring a setlist with Aces High, Killers, Powerslave and Phantom of the Opera. Because they were insulted.

I felt the insulted fans insulted the band and the other loyal fans with their exaggerated intolerance. It really went far online.

Well, I'm glad I did not miss these experiences.
My first Maiden show was the VXI tour in Glasgow '98. It was a fantastic show despite being in a club venue and the songs really came to life on the stage, even if Blaze’s voice didn't often soar above the mix.

My second Maiden concert was Ed Hunter in Paris '99 and to this day is the greatest live concert experience I've ever had. Euphorical is how I'd describe it.

Virtual XI yes yes
Let me start by saying I dont like the name not that it matters, probably hurt sales tho
This is a very good album that did a lot right.
First track is futureal, one of the best openers along with Aces High, it has that sudden kick needed to open a gig with fireworks and shit. I'd like to see one maiden gig that starts with it.
The clansman is the fourth song, for some reason Id expect the epic to be the closer but como estais amigos is a very nice song and does good job too.
TAATG works better with the single edit, they could prolong it live but have the 6 minute version on the album, the 4 minute version is too chopped.
This album has some very tasty solos like TAATG and in general has a 70s hard rock feeling. Some parts stuck in your head and you are trying to find what popular 70s rock song it is only to discover its from VXI.
The whole football thing Im not a fan of tbh.
Also very sad they used these ed hunter renders instead of the Riggs stuff for single sleeves
Talk about sales, I wonder what sales would’ve been like if they had used Riggs Futureal cover for Virtual XI. Essentially Powerslave 2.

Talk about sales, I wonder what sales would’ve been like if they had used Riggs Futureal cover for Virtual XI. Essentially Powerslave 2.
The futureal one was 3d and not that good but it had an interesting concept/idea. Doubt about the sales tho. It would look better in a collection

The futureal one was 3d and not that good but it had an interesting concept/idea. Doubt about the sales tho. It would look better in a collection
I don’t like most of Rigg’s 3D pieces either, but I do think that Futureal fold out is an amazing piece of art. I love it!

I wasn´t overenthousiastic with VXI but seeing them live that tour was great. Now I´d rate VXI much higher, really a fun album.
The Chemical Wedding tour on the other hand...witness Bruce and H live for the first time at Biebob. And when Powerslave was played I almost shat, @PhantomOfTheOpera wise, my pants from excitement.

Its not bad by any means, Id love a poster of it but its still a 90s render
My main issue with it is the reflection on the floor
If you get a copy of the Futureal single, it comes with a foldout poster of the art. It’s small, but it’d look fantastic in a black frame and hung on the wall. That’s what I’m thinking of doing with mine.

My second Maiden concert was Ed Hunter in Paris '99 and to this day is the greatest live concert experience I've ever had. Euphorical is how I'd describe it.

I was there too!

Still ranks as my number one gig, great set and Bruce and Adrian back will take some beating for any other gig to pass it by.

When VXI was released, I was relieved somewhat. The dark, brooding nature of TXF was mostly gone and we had an album that flowed better. Also, the sound was slightly better to me. I thoroughly enjoyed the album on release, listened to it a lot. I have never really listened to it ever since, and I too consider this album their lowpoint. At the time, it was still enjoyable to a certain degree.

Of course, there are lots of problems with this album in hindsight, just to name a few: shallow or lazy songwriting and performances, lack of a producer and production problems, and while the football themed artwork was certainly interesting, it did not stand the test of time for me.

I may be in the minority that say the Clansman is just an "OK" song, never understood the hype of it. If I have to choose, I definitely listen to some of the live versions of it rather than the album version nowadays.

All in all, this tour brought one of the most or maybe THE most memorable show to me. It was a very very small club in eastern europe, a few hundred people only due to messed up organization and the general low interest in the band at the time. Another few hundred left outside the club, but I could get in!
It was a very loud, direct show, like the band playing in your house really. It sounded enormous and the place went crazy. At the time, smoking was permitted and the small venue was filled with smoke, sweat and very loud music. People were literally hanging half on the walls too just to see the concert. To this day, I still remember this show clearly and might be one of the best shows of any band ever (of course due to the special circumstances too).

As for CW, I already mentioned it earlier, it is simply Bruce's best solo album to me. A masterpiece. A consistent, well crafted album, at the time it was considered to be the best metal album of the year by many critics, if that matters.

I dug up quite a lot of Blake stuff at the time, just to try and understand what's going on :)

Reactions: jcv
My first Maiden show was the VXI tour in Glasgow '98. It was a fantastic show despite being in a club venue and the songs really came to life on the stage, even if Blaze’s voice didn't often soar above the mix.

Yes, the '98 gig was a great improvement on the X Factor show at the Barrowland in '95. Blaze sounded OK and seemed more comfortable on stage. But the best gig of '98, possibly the best ever, was Bruce's CW performance at the tiny G2 in Glasgow. Bruce's live voice was, IMHO, at its best in '96-'99, and to see Adrian with his Les Paul goldtop at close quarters was the stuff of Live After Death fuelled dreams. ;-)

Very, very envious that you saw IM in Paris in '99. Still baffled as to why there was not even a London gig on the Ed Hunter tour. Despite Bruce's comments at the time about the UK not being a good place for metal, any show would likely have sold out.

If you get a copy of the Futureal single, it comes with a foldout poster of the art. It’s small, but it’d look fantastic in a black frame and hung on the wall. That’s what I’m thinking of doing with mine.
I did that when the single came out (not framed). A while later the poster was put in some box with other stuff. Coincidentally I found it last week and put it back in the single. :)

Me too. A more warm, melodic album.
Still, CW is a hell of an album. Great memories seeing a concert from that tour. The first time I ever saw Adrian Smith and there was such a cool setlist (Powerslave!) and vibe. Bruce was mindblowing.
Ditto. I feel that CW is the better album, but AoB is just more accessible and has a real warmth to it. Like you, it was the first time I saw Adrian play live and he did not disappoint.

Very, very envious that you saw IM in Paris in '99. Still baffled as to why there was not even a London gig on the Ed Hunter tour. Despite Bruce's comments at the time about the UK not being a good place for metal, any show would likely have sold out.
I have no idea why there wasn't a UK gig on that tour. At the time we speculated that it was "punishment" for the UK fanbase largely abandoning them during the Blaze years. Of course there's more likely a more practical reason for it. Possibly scheduling.

Back