Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

It seems that the only real comlaint of the reviewer is the length of the last two songs.
Yep. The review is positive.

Some curious bits from it:

Senjutsu - strong vocal performance. Almost industrial metal... what?

Stratego - has all the hallmarks of classic Maiden.

Lost In A Lost World - grandiose chorus and vintage melodic leads.

Days Of Future Past - Smith and Dickinson are at their best here.

The Time Machine - holds more progressiveness and also features the most breathtaking, melodic chorus the album provides. One of the best songs since the reunion.

Darkest Hour - it doesn't take the usual approach in terms of structure.

Death Of The Celts - Maiden at its finest, fantastic main melody and masterful memorable soloing. It has a defined beginning, middle, and end and doesn't feel like a long song.

The Parchment - strong chorus and huge soloing section. The tempo picks up at the latter half of the track.

Hell On Earth - fantastic solo. Harris delivers one of his best melodies.

Extremely disappointed about what I am reading about the title track. It seems that I will really miss IESF. I doubt the album will come close to TBOS anyway.Oh and I sincerely hope that there is nothing reminding a song like Hooks in You, I consider «rockers» like this in the FOTD/NPFTD (weekend warrior, bring your daughter, holy smoke, from here to eternity e.t.c) the lowest point in Maiden‘s discography. I was so relieved when the X-Factor was released.

I get the impression that opening song will be very experimental. Not in your face, but whole song more like an intro to the album. It will be very different to what IESF is to TBOS. In other words, I don't think Senjutsu will be good concert opener. Maybe Stratego or DOFP.

Last edited:
He rated it as 7. To me, that is a passing score by maiden standards. The other reviews put Senjutsu at the same level or higher than AMOLAD
That means that unlike other reviews this one is more honest. Pretty much describes what a reunion era album sounds like. Bloated with big songs that have repetitive chorus and are either the same rhythm or feel like parts stitched togother without cohesion. A song like infinite dreams has many alteration but its done properly and it works, its probably their best song (imo). And chorus repetition always existed in Maiden, Seventh Son of A Seventh Son (x10) works tho and doesnt feel boring, same for We're blood brothers but when a chorus is weak repeating just makes it unbearable.

The review had positive signs for some songs, even some long ones so I believe everyone will find something in the album to like and there also will be some stinkers like Red and black. It would be nice if maiden limited themselves to 1 LP length again

All the reunion albums sold quite well so the band themselves don't really care to change the music direction and other stuff like production etc...
The enthusiasm has long gone, so we (the 40+ fans) all know that we cannot get a masterpiece of an album. We just compromise.

And the same goes for bands like Metallica, Slayer, Judas Priest etc... They all peaked at the dawn of the 80s/begining of the 90s.

We just love the anticipation of a new album from our favourite band!

Last edited:
Judas Priest still have the flame to , at the very least, try to make powerful stuff. Metallica, Slayer e.t.c yeah, they are finished (well Slayer literally).

That means that unlike other reviews this one is more honest. Pretty much describes what a reunion era album sounds like. Bloated with big songs that have repetitive chorus and are either the same rhythm or feel like parts stitched togother without cohesion. A song like infinite dreams has many alteration but its done properly and it works, its probably their best song (imo). And chorus repetition always existed in Maiden, Seventh Son of A Seventh Son (x10) works tho and doesnt feel boring, same for We're blood brothers but when a chorus is weak repeating just makes it unbearable.

The review had positive signs for some songs, even some long ones so I believe everyone will find something in the album to like and there also will be some stinkers like Red and black. It would be nice if maiden limited themselves to 1 LP length again
Not sure if you are a troll or you just dont know what stinker means. Argument about bloated songs is in same category in which 'janick shouldnt have fun on stage' is.

Like it or not - this is sound of Maiden.

100% positive feedback for Time Machine on all reviews so far :)

No, it means he has a different opinion on the music. Honesty has nothing to do with it and if you want some, I’m tired of you all griping about an album you haven’t fucking heard yet. Come on.
Ive heard TWOTW, Ive heard the previous albums, I saw that the guy that wrote that loudwire ranked BOS and BNW higher than Somewhere in Time (masterpiece btw). His review was biased and he seemed enthusiastic about every song. Its on the title too, a superfan's review.
It also has parts like "There’s some fans out there that will just never accept that this is where Steve wants to be" that really worry me, same for mentioning Maiden having prog ambitions, no long songs arent prog.

Well, opinions are like buttholes, everyone has them. The main takeaway is not to force your own upon someone else. Making a fair statement or arguing for what you believe is a different matter and last but not least, to show each other respect when doing so.

Some nonsense being talked in this thread. No one here has heard the album so none of us have any idea which reviews are accurate.
That Russell's quote on my signature sums it all up. All 3 Maiden album releases since I joined here is this same barrage of bullshit. Opinions based on suspicions = not opinions, but, guesses. Ridiculous.

Back