"Senjutsu" - meaning and pronounciation

• Thread starter Deleted member 7164
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7164

Definition of Senjutsu. Meaning of Senjutsu. Synonyms of Senjutsu​

Here you will find one or more explanations in English for the word Senjutsu. Also in the bottom left of the page several parts of wikipedia pages related to the word Senjutsu and, of course, Senjutsu synonyms and on the right images related to the word Senjutsu.

Definition of Senjutsu​

No result for Senjutsu. Showing similar results...

Meaning of Senjutsu from wikipedia

- Senjutsu (****anese: 戦術, loosely translated as "tactics and strategy") is the upcoming seventeenth studio album by British heavy metal band Iron Maiden...
- Naruto (****anese: NARUTO(ナルト)) is a ****anese manga series written and illustrated by Masashi Kishimoto. It tells the story of Naruto Uzumaki, a young ninja...
- the album charts of 24 countries. The upcoming seventeenth studio album, Senjutsu is to be released on 3 September 2021. By 2017, Iron Maiden had sold well...
- the 2015 studio album, The Book of Souls, and the 2021 studio album, Senjutsu. Hugh Syme, noted for both his album cover work and guest musician appearances...
- The Rokusei Senjutsu (六星占術, Six-Star Astrology) is a kind of Chinese astrology and a handy approximation of the Four Pillars of Destiny. The Four Pillars...
- album to date to feature an instrumental piece, and the only one until Senjutsu (2021) in which longtime member and guitarist Dave Murray does not have...
- various digital streaming services. The song also appears on their new album Senjutsu. It is the band's first release since their 2015 album, "The Book of Souls"...
- (重吾, Jūgo) is the third member of Taka. His clan has the ability to use senjutsu, but due to the severe amount of natural energy they absorb they are prone...
- extraordinary abilities through the mastery of an extreme fighting style known as senjutsu (仙術). He sets out on a journey to find a worthy successor of his secrets...
- Orion (仙術超攻殻オリオン, Senjutsu Chōkōkaku Orion) is a manga by Masamune Shirow, first serialized in 1990 and 1991 in Seishinsha Comic Gaia magazine. The magic/technology...

So as one googles main results are tied to Maiden where this "tactics and strategy" quote comes from - no backing to that.

Other main source is the Naruto animated film. There the word is used as sen-jutsu, jutsu of the sens, art of the sages. The english translation is "Sage jutsu" (two word phrase) so maybe one can find the pronunciation by tracking the autolog on Youtube and then matching with the Japanese clip. I am not familiar with the film so I can only poke around to no success. I'm unable to find same videos that are in English and Japanese to pinpoint the word.

The "Rokusei Senjutsu" leads to a badly written wiki article.

It may be that Harris got this word from Japanese or Asian animated films.

I don't see why one wouldn't pronounciate this as Sen|jutsu where you say 'sen' normally (well not English normally, but as in Sensei), and jutsu as it's vocalized in ninjutsu or jujutsu.

I can ask a Japanese friend of mine. Had you posted this yesterday we'd knew by now, as I saw him a few hours ago.

EDIT: Thanks @Magnus :)

Last edited:
Given that japanese doesn't use western letters, then I would have to presume that senjutsu is pronounced phonetically. Why would it be spelled differently to how it's pronounced otherwise?

Given that japanese doesn't use western letters, then I would have to presume that senjutsu is pronounced phonetically. Why would it be spelled differently to how it's pronounced otherwise?
Because different parts of the English speaking world pronounce those combination of letters differently.

Yeah, as a Japanese learner I can tell his pronunciation is pretty bad.

戦術 is pronounced [sẽ̞ɲ̟d͡ʑɨᵝt͡sɨᵝ] (here's what it sounds like). Bruce stressed the "ju", but Japanese doesn't even have stress accent. It does have pitch accent and 戦術 is pronounced with a "flat" accent pattern, which means that the first mora ("se") has slightly lower pitch and the rest of the word is high/flat. But since there is no stress, each mora (se - n - ju - tsu) has the same length.
Also Bruce said "t" and "s" separately, while it should be a single consonant.

Since the library I'm currently working in also houses the books from the uni's Japanology department I took a detour and looked at some dictionaries that seemed authoritative. Here's what I got:

Kiysk5I.jpg

xXeFQVQ.jpg

The German basically says it can mean both "art of war" and "tactics".

Because the Latin alphabet can't adequately reproduce many Japanese phonemes. Any spelling in Latin that doesn't use diacritics is always only an approximation at the very best. Not to mention there are dialectal differences both in English and Japanese, as @LooseCannon points out.
Now I don't positively know this for Japanese because I don't know Japanese, but my experience with the transcription of Arabic, Cyrillic, Greek, various Semitic and other ancient scripts lets me be relatively confident with this.

For a native slavic speaker this doesn't seem hard, although one might miss pitches and groupings as already mentioned.
With English it's complicated. I can't say they write different that they speak, because it's a matter of standards. But when speaking from Croatian standpoint, these languages are written differently than pronounced. From my perspective, A is A in Croatian but it's Ae in English, C is C in Croatian but it's See in English, S is S but eS there, and so on.

So although it's transliterated to Latin script and applicable to both Romance, Slav, Germanic, and so on, some alphabets may be more closer. I think I would use south slavic alphabet and spell it as "Sen đucu". If I knew how to annotate accents right I would. The up is on đu. Some other Croatian dialects would have problem with this because the last thing is always pitched up, which is not the case here and not the way I personally use the language.

Since the library I'm currently working in also houses the books from the uni's Japanology department I took a detour and looked at some dictionaries that seemed authoritative. Here's what I got:

Kiysk5I.jpg

xXeFQVQ.jpg

Because the Latin alphabet can't adequately reproduce many Japanese phonemes. Any spelling in Latin that doesn't use diacritics is always only an approximation at the very best. Not to mention there are dialectal differences both in English and Japanese, as @LooseCannon points out.
Now I don't positively know this for Japanese because I don't know Japanese, but my experience with the transcription of Arabic, Cyrillic, Greek, various Semitic and other ancient scripts lets me be relatively confident with this.

Kriegkunst is german for Black Metal Cunts isn't it?

Kiysk5I.jpg

xXeFQVQ.jpg

i like the second translation a lot : the secret art of eternal life

Thanks but now you should explain us how ŋž is pronounced! :D
Insert index and middle fingers into nostrils carefully, then try to simultaneously reproduce initial sounds in English "joke", French "jamais", and Hungarian "György".
Still not really there but killed some time until album release at least, didn't it?

Yeah, like that I would say. Oddly the way my friend said senjutsu the last "u" was almost silent.

Ok I'll check with my friend too. And ask if there are different ways to pronounce the last u in different regions.

In Japanese, the close vowels /i/ and /u/ are usually devoiced between voiceless consonants or optionally after a voicless consonant at the end of a word. So I think it's fine to either voice the final /u/ or not.

Another translation for it would be 'Art(s) Of The Past': sen = which came first/before; jutsu = art(s), tatic(s). Given that the album has songs called 'Days Of Future Past', 'Lost In A Lost World', 'The Time Machine', 'Darkest Hour' (about past events on WWII) and 'Death Of The Celts', plus others which might deal with past events, it might be what 'Arry had in mind.

Last edited:

Kiysk5I.jpg

xXeFQVQ.jpg

And a lot more! :) Thanks!

Back