Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

my question comes from a verse of maiden...
Heaven can wait!

"Take my hand, I'll lead you to the promised land,
Take my hand, I'll give you immortality,
Eternal youth, I'll take you to the other side,
To see the truth, the path for you is decided."
Here’s as best as I can put it, from what I know:

The “promised land” is a concept originating in Judaism, a place Abraham was told by God that he and his descendants would live in. Moses and Joshua lead the Israelites back to it after serving in Egypt as slaves. Fast forward many hundreds of years and the country of Israel was founded on the same notion of Jews returning to their homeland.

African-Americans took the concept of “the promised land” during slavery, to mean Heaven or an end to slavery. This usage is the one that’s led to the modern interpretation of the line, which is either a literally land promised to you, or just simply Heaven. Steve uses it in the song because it’s about a man who dies and comes back to life. The promised land in the song is paradise — Heaven. And the narrator says that it can wait til another day.

When you write something formal (i.e., not a text, Tweet or other social media post), how many spaces do you use between the period at the end one sentence and the first letter of the next sentence? This website autocorrects to one space, and there are publications that say one space is proper. But I refuse to believe that anything other than two spaces is OK.

When you write something formal (i.e., not a text, Tweet or other social media post), how many spaces do you use between the period at the end one sentence and the first letter of the next sentence? This website autocorrects to one space, and there are publications that say one space is proper. But I refuse to believe that anything other than two spaces is OK.

One.

Double-spacing after a full stop was a very particular grammatical rule taught in Canada and the UK for a limited period in the 90's and 2000's. This fact helped people figure out that Satoshi Nakamoto is not actually Japanese or at least was not educated in Japan.

I've heard of if it in some really old typing convention, might have been the RSA secretarial skills style dating back decades. We did do some RSA typing in secretarial skills at school, until (thank f***) they stopped teaching that and did business studies and IT instead.

When you write something formal (i.e., not a text, Tweet or other social media post), how many spaces do you use between the period at the end one sentence and the first letter of the next sentence?

I'm pretty sure it's one as a standard at least in foreign countries when you learn English.
Also from internationalization programming guidelines, string construction is done with concatenation of punctuation and a space character. Therefore it's always one character, regardless of the next sentence or not.

One.

Double-spacing after a full stop was a very particular grammatical rule taught in Canada and the UK for a limited period in the 90's and 2000's.
And in the U.S. That was what I learned: two spaces. I remember having to look for this when cite-checking law review articles while in school. When I was a junior associate, that got drilled into me too. Evidently that changed along the way, while I got old. I recently brought this up with my partners and even a couple of judges I know -- most if not all of the folks over 40 still say they prefer two spaces. I do think it makes text easier to read with two spaces between sentences. But I realize I'm on the wrong side of history here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jer
I do think it makes text easier to read with two spaces between sentences. But I realize I'm on the wrong side of history here.

You are not wrong, there is a detail, back in the days of typing and telegraph most fonts used were monospaced. Since the dot character takes same character box width as any letter, the dot itself will be centered.

Code:
Maybe this should help. See how the dot isn't touching the letter 'p'

+ just a conjecture but if I were designing machines for formatted text processing like IBM did back when computers were a house, I'd appreciate as much spacing in between letters as possible.

When I was young, I was taught two spaces, and I gave up on that somewhere in the late 2000s when it seemed to drop out of fashion. I don't think it's necessary.

most if not all of the folks over 40 still say they prefer two spaces. I do think it makes text easier to read with two spaces between sentences.
I prefer two spaces. It gives clarity between sentence ends and abbreviations. Like your first sentence in your post, “And in the U.S.” If the next sentence began with a proper noun or something that would be capitalized regardless, you’d have to guess if it was a new sentence or not. With two spaces it’s always clear.

I prefer two spaces. It gives clarity between sentence ends and abbreviations. Like your first sentence in your post, “And in the U.S.” If the next sentence began with a proper noun or something that would be capitalized regardless, you’d have to guess if it was a new sentence or not. With two spaces it’s always clear.
I agree with that if I am reading a book or something formal. And as I started to type a second sentence, I realized out of habit I put in 2 spaces. Looking back at some of my prior posts, I seem to do that more often than not. Habit I guess

Here’s as best as I can put it, from what I know:

The “promised land” is a concept originating in Judaism, a place Abraham was told by God that he and his descendants would live in. Moses and Joshua lead the Israelites back to it after serving in Egypt as slaves. Fast forward many hundreds of years and the country of Israel was founded on the same notion of Jews returning to their homeland.

African-Americans took the concept of “the promised land” during slavery, to mean Heaven or an end to slavery. This usage is the one that’s led to the modern interpretation of the line, which is either a literally land promised to you, or just simply Heaven. Steve uses it in the song because it’s about a man who dies and comes back to life. The promised land in the song is paradise — Heaven. And the narrator says that it can wait til another day.
Perfect!!!

Back