GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

Black Sabbath stomps on Dream Theater.
Bruce Dickinson finishes off King Diamond with no challenge.
Heaven and Hell wins over Sabbath Bloody Sabbath in the Black Sabbath bracket.
Brave New World squeaks past The Number of the Beast in the Iron Maiden bracket.

Round of 32 Matchups Set:
Black Sabbath - Paranoid vs. Bruce Dickinson - The Chemical Wedding
Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell vs. Iron Maiden - Brave New World

Reign_in_blood.jpg

Slayer - Reign in Blood (1986)

How it got here

List entries: Rolling Stone 7, Loudwire 4, Metal Rules 5, DigitalDreamDoor 4, Metal Kingdom 5
Maidenfans Nominators: @Diesel 11, @karljant, @srfc, @Whooten
League 1 - Match 29vs.
Blackout_%28Scorpions_album_-_cover_art%29.png

Scorpions - Blackout (1982)

How it got here

List entries: Rolling Stone 73, Metal Rules 63, Metalstorm 65
Maidenfans Nominators: @mckindog, @Niall Kielt, @The Dissident
Previous Rounds:
League 2: Defeated Dream Theater - Train of Thought 20-18.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Iron_Maiden_%28album%29_cover.jpg

Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden (1980)

How it got here

List entries: Rolling Stone 13, Loudwire 45, Metal Rules 40, Metalstorm 69, DigitalDreamDoor 33
Maidenfans Nominators: @Cornfed Hick, @Dityn DJ James, @Forostar, @Kalata, @Magnus, @Niall Kielt, @Perun, @phantomoftheicarus, @srfc
League 1 - Match 30vs.
Iron_Maiden_-_Seventh_Son_Of_A_Seventh_Son.jpg

Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (1988)

How it got here

List entries: Metalstorm 7, DigitalDreamDoor 54
Maidenfans Nominators: @Collin, @Dr Eddie’s Wingman, @Jer, @Kalata, @matic22, @MrKnickerbocker, @Niall Kielt, @Perun, @srfc, @The Flash
Previous Rounds:
League 2: Defeated AC/DC - Back in Black 31-7.

Last edited:
220px-Slayer_-_Seasons_in_the_Abyss.jpg

Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss (1990)

How it got here

List entries: Rolling Stone 31, Loudwire 22, Metal Rules 9, DigitalDreamDoor 36, Metal Kingdom 38
Maidenfans Nominators: @Travis The Dragon, @Whooten
League 1 - Match 31vs.
Accept_-_Balls_to_the_Wall.jpg

Accept - Balls to the Wall (1983)

How it got here

List entries: Loudwire 50, Metal Rules 32, Metalstorm 82
Maidenfans Nominators: @Kalata, @Niall Kielt
Previous Rounds:
League 2: Defeated Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings 20-16.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blizzard_of_ozz.jpg

Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz (1980)

How it got here

List entries: Rolling Stone 9, Loudwire 6, Metal Rules 19, Metalstorm 57, DigitalDreamDoor 14, Metal Kingdom 31
Maidenfans Nominators: @Cornfed Hick, @srfc
League 1 - Match 32vs.
DioTheLastInLine.jpg

Dio - The Last in Line (1984)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Rules 27, Metalstorm 53
Maidenfans Nominators: @Forostar, @Kalata, @mckindog, @Perun, @Yax
Previous Rounds:
League 2: Defeated Slayer - South of Heaven 24-13.

Voting Slayer 2x, Ozzy, and Di’Anno Maiden just because I think the debut will be easier to beat down the line than SSOASS.

Well. Slayer again. And guess what, it’s the same story with this album — great riffage, but directionless soloing, mostly non-melodic half-shouted vocals, and uninspired songwriting. When put up against a solid Scorpions album with a few great tracks, it doesn’t really compete. Sorry, Whaliesrfel 2.75, but The DissiallKieltindog’s choice takes this one. Winner: Scorpions

Never was much of a fan of the Iron Maiden debut. “Prowler”, “Remember Tomorrow”, and “Strange World” are good, “Phantom Of The Opera” is wildly overrated and merely OK, and I guess “Charlotte The Harlot” is OK too. The rest is kind of insipid and “meh”, and the eponymous track is just bad. Still better than the Blaze-era albums, but this is bottom three Maiden for me, and it’s up against Maiden’s very best album, so the decision is clear. Sorry, NiallKielataforoed PrickynOfTheDJJagnarusrfc, but Dr Niallinsrfie’s MrPerickalaterFlashjerbockermaticman77‘s nominee makes sure your soul’s gonna burn in a lake of fire. Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son

Yep, more Slayer. Not surprisingly, my assessment is pretty much the same, though the title track is a half a notch better because of the attempt to have melody in the vocals. While I’m not much of a fan of this Accept record, its songwriting is consistently better and it has its fair share of strong guitar work, so I think it earns the faint praise consolation prize here. Sorry, Whovis The Dragooten, but Niel Kalltata’s choice limps ahead in this match. Winner: Accept

Blizzard Of Ozz is a strong album overall with some really great stuff on it. “Crazy Train” is a timeless metal classic, “Mr. Crowley”, “Goodbye To Romance”, and “Dee” are great, and most of the rest of the songs are solidly good. Great guitar work throughout. Compared to a solid but unremarkable Dio album, this is an easy call. Sorry, Pax Americkalatostar, but Scornfed Rick’s nominee is superior. Winner: Ozzy Osbourne

Slayer - Just non stop from start to finish, the only pause to catch your breath is the drum intro of Criminally Insane. Sounds fantastic too. Similar to Painkiller that some of the tracks might not hold up if they had been taken out of context and been on a more varied album, but such concerns are nonsense, as this is the context that they exist in and in this context the whole thing is bludgeoning. I fully expect this album to be too popular for all the hipsters on here who will probably say Christ Illusion or Diabolus are the real classics. Everyone knows the first and last tracks but they're all good, especially the one-two of Altar of Sacrifice/Jesus Saves, Postmortem, Piece by Piece and Reborn. Enter to the Realm of Satan!

Scorpions - Pretty decent 80's Scorpions album, I'm more of a 70's fan where the guitar playing of Uli Roth elevates their solid, well written and arranged rock to a higher level.

Slayer leave Scorpions ripped and torn.

Iron Maiden - The first album is a classic. I don't give a fuck about the production it sounds great for what it is, and any attempt to change or re-record it would be an atrocity. The songs are all great musically, although some of the lyrics do not hold up and I kind of hope that Wilcock gets acknowledged as the writer of the sleaze of Prowler and Charlotte. Remember Tomorrow, Phantom, Transylvania and Strange World are top tier Maiden, Running Free is a classic hit, and other than the lyrics Prowler and Charlotte are great musically. Iron Maiden doesn't carry the same impact on the album without the live theatrics but who cares the riff is still the best ever from Maiden, when the harmony kicks in nothing can touch it.

Seventh Son of a Seventh Son - The only album from Maiden that every single track is as good as each other. There isn't a flaw in any of the songs, the running order, the artwork, the choice of single anything except if you really put a gun to my head, the Puma tracksuits in the photoshoot. Even the purple and yellow Maiden logo is the best colour scheme!

Seventh Son of a Seventh Son.

Slayer - Seasons is a great Slayer record, big hitters in the title track, War Ensemble and Dead Skin Mask and regular live track Spirit in Black. But the lesser known tracks really hold up Blood Red, Expendable Youth, Hallowed Point and especially Born of Fire. Even the more filler inclined Skeletons of Society and Temptation are pretty good.

Accept - Balls to the Wall is a personal favourite of mine, and one of my favourite sounding albums. It's just rocked up to a gunfight with a knife.

Slayer with the win

Ozzy Osbourne - Randy Rhoades just mops the floor with every other cunt who ever picked up a guitar on this record. The solos on Mr Crowley, Crazy Train and Goodbye to Romance are obviously landmarks, but the riffs are just as good, Steal Away (The Night) FFS, I Don't Know, Crazy Train again, Suicide Solution. No Bone Movies is a bit cringey but Revelation (Mother Earth) more than makes up for that, and even Dee is great.

Dio - A solid Dio record, not as good as it's predecessor, or any album Dio had sang on since the first Rainbow album. Some of the tracks stack up as being on the level of Holy Diver, We Rock, the title track and I Speed at Night, the rest not so much, with Breathless and Eat Your Heart out being quite bad.

Ozzy Osbourne with the win

Easy win for Blackout - one of Scorpions best albums (and btw, I definitely not nominated its opponent).

Another easy win this round - Balls To The Wall is one of the all time best metal albums.

The Last In Line is the ultimate classic from DIO.

Iron Maiden is the best debut album ever imo, but Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son is a masterpiece... and overall has more strong songs.

The lesser songs in both albums (they're good too) IMO:

''The Prophecy'' > ''Charlotte The Harlot'' & ''Strange World''.

* ''Sanctuary'' should have been added in the regular album from the beginning.

Blackout
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
Balls To The Wall
Blizzard of Oz

It is starting to get very difficult. Note that I vote for albums, not necessarily for the artists as a whole (I like Slayer a lot, up to Decade of Aggression). ;)

Reign In Blood remains to this day the most vicious thing ever recorded in metal. Plus its overall quality is absurdly high. Easily one of the first records I picked for my list. Slayer.

Then we have the first and last record of Maiden's almost immaculate 80's run. IMO 7th Son has no song on the level of Phantom Of The Opera. On the other hand although Maiden's debut is filled with stunning tracks (like Sanctuary, Prowler or Transylvania) the sum of 7th Son's tracks off the charts quality and its conceptual bulk wins this one. Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son.

Balls to The Wall has some cool cuts but has no chance going against what is IMO Slayer's #3 album. War Ensemble is easily one of Slayer's best tracks. Then you have Blood Red, Skeletons Of Society, Hallowed Point, Born Of Fire and the title track. So yeah... Slayer again.

Mmmmm tough matchup. My second favorite Ozzy record vs my favorite Dio record. Blizzard Of Ozz has some crazy good moments. It's Mr. Rhoads' presentation card to leave mouths open in awe worldwide. It kicks off taking no prisoners with the monster riff of I Don't Know that gives way to the radio success yet ingenious composition that is Crazy Train. Besides that we have the supernatural aura of Mr Crowley and the alcoholism cautionary tale that is Suicide Solution. And it still manages to deliver a unique musical moment in Dee's classic guitar doodle as well as a cool old school balad in Goodbye To Romance. Nevertheless The Last In Line sounds stronger overall as an album so I'll go with Dio on this one.

Scorpions
Seventh Son
(My favorite Maiden album ever)
Accept
Blizzard of Ozz
(maybe the most difficult pair to decide, I love Holy Diver and I prefer Dio's voice of course but the music on that album with Randy Rhoads, Lee Kerslake, ...Crazy Train, Mr. Crowley, Goodbye to romance, I don't know…)

Blackout is like being behind the wheel a sports car twisting through a mountain road with the top down in the summer sun.
Reign in Blood is like revving your 2006 Mazda 3 up in the parking lot of your townhouse complex and driving it straight into a wall.

If you prefer the latter, hey, whatever make you happy. :D

Back