Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

On this site

The Chemical Wedding is the 26th best release of 1998, as in worldwide all genres (stuff like Lauren Hill and Ocarina of Time soundtrack are above it). 6th highest rated metal release, and the highest rated non-death metal release. Therefore the best heavy metal album of the 1998.

Its contemporary reviews, its later reviews, all sky high, yet it didn't close to even half a million units. Shows how much shafted metal market was in the late 90s.

Death's Perseverance is in top 10 overall yet it didn't make them rich or anything.

Every now and then I’ll stumble on an event I’ve never heard before and am surprised that it took this long for me to do so. Last night it was the Hillsborough disaster. I stumbled on a YouTube video was like huh I have no idea what’s going on until the narrator said “and 96 were dead.” WTF. So I spent a lot of time last night researching it. What a horrific way to go.

To the MaidenFans from Britain and elsewhere: is this event still public knowledge today and is it just an American thing to not know of stuff like this?

Every now and then I’ll stumble on an event I’ve never heard before and am surprised that it took this long for me to do so. Last night it was the Hillsborough disaster. I stumbled on a YouTube video was like huh I have no idea what’s going on until the narrator said “and 96 were dead.” WTF. So I spent a lot of time last night researching it. What a horrific way to go.

To the MaidenFans from Britain and elsewhere: is this event still public knowledge today and is it just an American thing to not know of stuff like this?
I remember it happening. But how widely it's know elsewhere in the world, I have no idea :(

Id say football fans all over Europe are well aware of it. In the UK and Ireland, any anniversaries and the recent inquest were headline news, not just sports news. The Sun newspaper blamed the victims back in the day and there are still shops that wont sell that paper, particularly in Liverpool.
I dont find it strange that you, as an American, dont know about it but I would assume that most Europeans here know of it, or at least those of a certain age and/or football fans.

Id say football fans all over Europe are well aware of it. In the UK and Ireland, any anniversaries and the recent inquest were headline news, not just sports news. The Sun newspaper blamed the victims back in the day and there are still shops that wont sell that paper, particularly in Liverpool.
I dont find it strange that you, as an American, dont know about it but I would assume that most Europeans here know of it, or at least those of a certain age and/or football fans.
I was only 7 when it happened, but those who are a few years older than me remember it very well.

The way the aftermath of the disaster was treated is disgraceful. Not only the coverage from The Sun :puke: but the way the police tried to cover up the fact they had a lot of blame.

^ I didn't see the posts on the previous page, only this above, and I knew immediately what's it about.

What are some other events of the same caliber that are really famous in Europe but a typical American probably wouldn't have heard of it? Not necessarily solely human crushes or sporting incidents, but with the same 'infamy' / 'iconic status'.

What are some other events of the same caliber that are really famous in Europe but a typical American probably wouldn't have heard of it? Not necessarily solely human crushes or sporting incidents, but with the same 'infamy' / 'iconic status'.

That's a toughie to answer. When you mean 'infamy'/'iconic' status, can you maybe provide some examples from America that you're thinking of in compare to this status?

Or are you just thinking of generally traumatic events, including bombings, accidents, stampede, etc.?

Back