Empire Of The Clouds

How good is Empire of the Clouds on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
That is a massive Straffe Hendrik quadrupel. Great beer from Bruges, although at 11%ABV it can sink the Bismark.

Excellent ale for an excellent song!

P.S. I love the praise Kevin Shirley’s excellent mix gets.

Last edited:
So that I understand. this song is about an airplane that crashes?
Airship, not an airplane. From the Greek Wikipedia:

Το 1924 η Βρετανική Κυβέρνηση εισήγαγε το Αυτοκρατορικό Σχέδιο Αερόπλοιων, ένα σχέδιο ένωσης της Βρετανικής Αυτοκρατορίας με δρομολόγια αερόπλοιων. Σύμφωνα με αυτό προβλεπόταν η κατασκευή δύο μεγάλων αερόπλοιων, του R100 και του R101, με έξοδα της κυβέρνησης. Το R100 κατασκευάστηκε ιδιωτικά από την Vickers-Armstrongs με την χρήση των υπαρχουσών εμπορικών πρακτικών, με τον Μπαρνς Ουάλις να ηγείται της ομάδας σχεδιασμού. Μετά την πρώτη πτήση του τον Δεκέμβριο του 1929, το R100 πραγματοποίησε επιτυχημένη πτήση προς το Κεμπέκ του Καναδά τον Ιούλιο και τον Αύγουστο του επόμενου χρόνου. Το ανταγωνιστικό R101 σχεδιάστηκε και κατασκευάστηκε από το Υπουργείο Αεροπορίας και υποτίθεται πως θα ενθάρρυνε την χρήση νέων πρακτικών. Το R101 ήταν ελαφρώς βαρύτερο από το κανονικό, κυρίως λόγω της χρήσης κινητήρων ντίζελ ώστε να μειωθεί το ρίσκο για πυρκαγιά. Έτσι αποφασίστηκε να επιμηκυνθεί ο σκελετός του σκάφους ώστε να αυξηθεί η άνωση. Τον Οκτώβριο του 1930 το R101 ξεκίνησε το ταξίδι του για το Καράτσι στην παρθενική του πτήση αλλά συνετρίβη στη βόρεια Γαλλία λόγω κακοκαιρίας με τους 48 από τους 54 επιβαίνοντες να χάνουν την ζωή τους, συμπεριλαμβανομένου του Υπουργού Αεροπορίας και του μεγαλύτερου μέρους της ομάδας σχεδιασμού. Μετά το ατύχημα αυτό, το R100 δεν πέταξε ποτέ ξανά και εν τέλει αχρηστεύθηκε το Νοέμβριο του 1931, σημαίνοντας το τέλος του ενδιαφέροντος της Βρετανίας στα άκαμπτα αερόπλοια.

Airship, not an airplane. From the Greek Wikipedia:

Το 1924 η Βρετανική Κυβέρνηση εισήγαγε το Αυτοκρατορικό Σχέδιο Αερόπλοιων, ένα σχέδιο ένωσης της Βρετανικής Αυτοκρατορίας με δρομολόγια αερόπλοιων. Σύμφωνα με αυτό προβλεπόταν η κατασκευή δύο μεγάλων αερόπλοιων, του R100 και του R101, με έξοδα της κυβέρνησης. Το R100 κατασκευάστηκε ιδιωτικά από την Vickers-Armstrongs με την χρήση των υπαρχουσών εμπορικών πρακτικών, με τον Μπαρνς Ουάλις να ηγείται της ομάδας σχεδιασμού. Μετά την πρώτη πτήση του τον Δεκέμβριο του 1929, το R100 πραγματοποίησε επιτυχημένη πτήση προς το Κεμπέκ του Καναδά τον Ιούλιο και τον Αύγουστο του επόμενου χρόνου. Το ανταγωνιστικό R101 σχεδιάστηκε και κατασκευάστηκε από το Υπουργείο Αεροπορίας και υποτίθεται πως θα ενθάρρυνε την χρήση νέων πρακτικών. Το R101 ήταν ελαφρώς βαρύτερο από το κανονικό, κυρίως λόγω της χρήσης κινητήρων ντίζελ ώστε να μειωθεί το ρίσκο για πυρκαγιά. Έτσι αποφασίστηκε να επιμηκυνθεί ο σκελετός του σκάφους ώστε να αυξηθεί η άνωση. Τον Οκτώβριο του 1930 το R101 ξεκίνησε το ταξίδι του για το Καράτσι στην παρθενική του πτήση αλλά συνετρίβη στη βόρεια Γαλλία λόγω κακοκαιρίας με τους 48 από τους 54 επιβαίνοντες να χάνουν την ζωή τους, συμπεριλαμβανομένου του Υπουργού Αεροπορίας και του μεγαλύτερου μέρους της ομάδας σχεδιασμού. Μετά το ατύχημα αυτό, το R100 δεν πέταξε ποτέ ξανά και εν τέλει αχρηστεύθηκε το Νοέμβριο του 1931, σημαίνοντας το τέλος του ενδιαφέροντος της Βρετανίας στα άκαμπτα αερόπλοια.
Thank you very much!!!
I feel a little amorphous. Many of the maiden songs I do not know where they inspired the lyrics and it is very interesting to expand my knowledge. This forum has helped me.
Unfortunately I do not know English I would have a broad view on the subject. I use lyricstranslate.com to see what the lyrics mean. Thanks!

Steve about EOTC: ''I think it's a masterpiece. I think I can say that because I didn't write it. It sounds like Maiden, but it's totally different from what we've done before. The whole song is such a journey. I wish I had written it - I can't make a bigger compliment than that''.

Steve about EOTC: ''I think it's a masterpiece. I think I can say that because I didn't write it. It sounds like Maiden, but it's totally different from what we've done before. The whole song is such a journey. I wish I had written it - I can't make a bigger compliment than that''.
There is a masterpiece in there somewhere but not in the album version.

I live quite close to the sheds where the R101 was built. In a previous thread, I told people that my wife’s grandparents are buried in the same churchyard that is mentioned in the song (we also got married at the church)

For those who are interested, the area surrounding the sheds is now being built on for housing. It’s such a shame to see heritage being eroded. It also removes the chances for airships to use the airfield ever again. Bruce’s ‘Here lie their dreams’ verse is based on this airfield. It’s sad to see it happening.

For more pictures of the site and the housing, you can see it all at this page (I am not affiliated with the owner of the page).

Lots of great parts and melodies. Nice vocals by Bruce and two great but short solos. The song as a whole on the other hand is arranged VERY POORLY and it gets too repetitive at times.

Last edited:
Still a masterpiece for me. I love the long guitar section in the middle, especially the part between minutes 7.18 - 8.29 led by Janick.

Just finished reading the book Final Flight.
Check out the attached screen shot of the last page. I didn't know what the scrap was used for from the crash. Wow.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230209_155207_Kindle.jpg
    Screenshot_20230209_155207_Kindle.jpg
    721.9 KB · Views: 25
This song was never my favorite or anything, but it's still a masterclass song and one of the most ambitious things the band has ever written. I enjoy listening to this song.

For Mother’s Day, we went to visit the graves of my wife’s grandparents. They are buried in the same graveyard as the crew and passengers of the R101. It was nice to see the memorial in excellent condition. 055443F8-439B-45D0-9434-A44C9F6C3781.jpeg

I still think it is a great song, telling a very poignant story. I definitely enjoy it much more than any of the other recent 10+ minutes songs.

It also shows some very clear influences from Van der Graaf Generator, the song Man-Erg in particular.

Back