GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

I have no clue what this Megadeth album is doing in this game. It's just a record full of plodding, run-of-the-mill Mustaine with nothing that sticks out whatsoever.
Same opinion here. I think the only reason some people like it is really the great lead guitar work. Like a tasteless cake with some really refined topping. But when it comes to songwriting, overall I truly concur it's a vulgar album at best.
This Megadeth album, on the other hand, truly deserves to be here. I was all over it when it was released, and songs like 44 Minutes, How the Story Ends, The Right to Go Insane and This Day We Fight stand with the very best Megadave ever made.
Once again agreed. And it aged surprisingly good. Perhaps the Megadeth album I listen to more nowadays.

thrash was the one classic metal genre that had such a hard time getting a revival. Meanwhile, everything it once stood for had been developed further by death metal
It depends. If you inspect the "recent" revivalist thrash metal bands, most of them take the "let's copy DRI and other crossover bands" route to be honest. Ok... with some sparkles of Bonded By Blood plus Kill 'Em All poured on top of it but that's all. And my opinion on those bands is that they're really subpar and derivative (unlike DRI that made a couple of truly amazing and - by then - groundbreaking albums). And yes some "Thrash" got "refined" into "Death Metal". One can easily see how records such as Altars Of Madness, Left Hand Path, Slowly We Rot, Leprosy or Malleus Maleficarum are indeed refined versions of Early thrash releases (some of them even labelled proto death metal) like Endless Pain, Morbid Tales, Bestial Devastation, Seven Churches, Sentence Of Death and In The Sign Of Evil.

Nevertheless I believe the reason why the "formula" from other great Thrash records from 80's was rarely revived with proper quality is a bit different. Take Metallica and Anthrax as an example. In this cases I believe the reason is these guys released such stellar albums (Ride to Justice and Disease to Persistence respectively) and extended their blueprint to such a diverse song structure spectrum, they ended up making life reaaaaly hard for everyone who came after. Take the case of Metallica: from absolute savagery in tracks such as Fight Fire With Fire, Battery and Dyers Eve, to semi acoustic epics like Fade To Black, Welcome Home and One, passing through proggy stuff like Call Of Ktulu, Orion, And Justice For All and Master Of Puppets these guys have done it all it was to be done. And to a certain extent that's why not even themselves succeeded entirely to make an album in those terms when they tried to rehash some of that fire during the 2010's.

On the other hand there's the myth that thrash metal is a square genre. Some bands were so unique no one could replicate them. Take Sabbat as a reference. Coroner and Mordred also come to my mind. Or even Killing Technology / Dimension Hatross era Voivod (Vektor tried but they had to put some Death on their sound to sound similar). Then there are those that kept on playing roughly the same genre (with more or less tweaks or even doing a hiatus to venture into other stuff only to return shortly after). In this case you have Megadeth: the most time they spent recording "thrashless" (or almost) records was between Countdown and Cryptic Writings (where they penned some Thrash Metal tracks once again) and they returned once again in The System Has Failed to include the genre in their works. Testament, Overkill, Slayer, and even Terrible Certainty onwards Kreator that only left the genre during less than a decade. And it's hard to compete against these dudes at their game (even when they make subpar thrash albums).

Finally there's one more thing: different breeds of thrash metal were created during the 90's. But the 90's and 00's were the decades of "we have to invent a new genre with a stupid name for every fucking band that simply doesn't copy something". So when you had guys like Meshuggah, Nevermore, Confessor and The Haunted rearing their heads they were labelled something else while sounding quite "thrashy". And, yes, to a certain extent we have the case of Pantera (so... it's ok to call Exhorder Thrash metal but Cowboys has to be Groove metal just because it came out in the 90's... see my point?).

Summing it up it's really difficult to pinpoint the absolute influence and distinguish every single distinct trait of two genres that are so close to each other stylistical and chronological wise. Proof is the eternal discussion regarding the 1st Death Metal record ever between 7 Churches and Scream Bloody gore.

Last edited:
The vocals on Bloodbath are pretty aggressive for me, but there's really interesting music here, and some neat stuff happening in the background. By the end of it I was nodding along, but I don't know that I'd ever seek it out. I feel like I'd hear it while drinking in The Koven, and that gives me Good Feelings™. Testament is more my speed, but also just a little more...I don't really have a better word for it...lame. They sound like a parody. I'll vote for Bloodbath because of authentic feels.

Authentic classic Queensrÿche is such good fuckin' stuff. The Warning is a really good album, this weird American version of NWOBHM that hasn't fully developed yet. Queensrÿche isn't a one album band, this is proof. Dystopia isn't a bad album, but it's never been one I slow down and listen to, or that caught me. Queensrÿche.

Now, the opposite is true for Endgame, which might very well be the last great Megadave album, and I'm basically just going to say "read @Perun's comments". Megadave.

Avantasia in the hopes it convinces Wiz to come back.

Playlist time for the next league! Here's a little bonus preview:

League 7 Spotify Playlist
League 7 Youtube Playlist

Anthrax, Dissection, Enforcer, Entombed, Paradise Lost, Razor (my nomination!!), Power Windows by Rush (one of my favorites from them, probably 2nd favorite now behind 2112), Saxon, Scorpions, Sodom (another one of my noms!!)... Gonna be a hell of a league. Probably the best yet. League 9 was super fun too. I can't wait. Also, someone nominated Linkin Park and I cant wait for them to get stomped (cant stand em).

Testament’s More than Meets the Eye kept showing up in my Youtube recommendations when I was 10. I thought it was the most boring thrash then, and I think it’s the most boring thrash now. 10-year-old me loved Bloodbath, though, and I still think they do pretty good death metal.

Testament’s More than Meets the Eye kept showing up in my Youtube recommendations when I was 10. I thought it was the most boring thrash then, and I think it’s the most boring thrash now. 10-year-old me loved Bloodbath, though, and I still think they do pretty good death metal.
Yup... I also think MTMTE is quite boring and predictable. But fans like to get what they expect no matter how forced it may sound. Too bad because The Gathering, Demonic and Low are incomparably more enjoyable while dwelling somewhat outside early Testament's comfort zone.

PS: Next league is stacked as hell. To begin with 3 albums I nominated: Persistence Of Time, Turn Lose The Swans and Draconian Times. Then Spreading The Disease, Deconstruction, Violent Restitution, Storm Of The Light's Bane, Left Hand Path, M16, Them, The Hunter, Empire, Magma, Facelift... and this Squalus thing?Wow! :eek:

Back