Weakest Song from each Iron Maiden album

All songs in SiT are good. This is however the least enjoyable to me. The intro riff is cool and the riffage itself throughout is good. The solos, although good, doesn't leave any lasting impression on me. I think the vocal lines are poor, the singing itself sounds strained. It doesn't feel like the song is written with consideration to the vocals, rather the vocals being contructed afterwards. This isn't uncommon, but it's often quite clear when it is done this way. The sections flow nicely together, but the chorus is a bit of an anticlimax which is why the song falls short. The bridge is however very good and fits perfectly with the short instrumental secttion from just before .The "ooooh oooh" bits before the bridge is very smooth and fits perfectly. But the rest of the songs are better. I was torn between this and "Heaven can Wait", but ultimately went with this, largely due to HCW's superior sing-along chorus.

Iron Maiden: Running Free
Killers: Another Life
The Number of the Beast: Invaders
Piece of Mind: Sun and Steel
Powerslave: The Duellists
Somewhere In Time: Déjà Vu
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son: The Prophecy
No Prayer For the Dying: Mother Russia
Fear of the Dark: Childhood's End
The X Factor: Look For the Truth
Virtual XI: Futureal
Brave New World: The Mercenary
Dance of Death: Age of Innocence
A Matter of Life and Death: The Pilgrim
The Final Frontier: The Alchemist
The Book of Souls: The Man of Sorrows

All songs in SiT are good. This is however the least enjoyable to me. The intro riff is cool and the riffage itself throughout is good. The solos, although good, doesn't leave any lasting impression on me. I think the vocal lines are poor, the singing itself sounds strained. It doesn't feel like the song is written with consideration to the vocals, rather the vocals being contructed afterwards. This isn't uncommon, but it's often quite clear when it is done this way. The sections flow nicely together, but the chorus is a bit of an anticlimax which is why the song falls short. The bridge is however very good and fits perfectly with the short instrumental secttion from just before .The "ooooh oooh" bits before the bridge is very smooth and fits perfectly. But the rest of the songs are better. I was torn between this and "Heaven can Wait", but ultimately went with this, largely due to HCW's superior sing-along chorus.
Interesting view. I feel the pre-chorus and chorus are quite good, but there are lyrics in the verses that don't really fit the vocal lines. Besides, the riff is nothing special - Adrian is not that great a riffer overall (apart from "Wasted Years" of course). I don't love those of "Back in the Village" and of "When The River Runs Deep", which are similar in style, speaking as a guitar player. In a way, they feel cool to play, but as a listener, I don't find them very efficient. What I prefer from him -apart from the well-thought solos- is his more rhythmic riffs like those of "The Prisoner" and "22 Acacia Avenue".

Iron Maiden: Running Free (assuming Sanctuary isn't counted as an album song, cause it isn't really)
Killers: N/A
The Number Of The Beast: Invaders
Piece Of Mind: Quest For Fire
Somewhere In Time: Heaven Can Wait
Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son: Can I Play With Madness

Wait, what? How is Sanctuary not an album song?
"Sanctuary" is a one-off single. It is included as a bonus on reeditions or at best, it could be considered as an album song only marginally (US edition on Capitol Records, 1980 for the vinyl and 1988 for the CD). It was not intended to be part of the first album by the band or the label back when said album was released.
The same goes for "Twilight Zone" and "Total Eclipse".

"Sanctuary" is a one-off single. It is included as a bonus on reeditions or at best, it could be considered as an album song only marginally (US edition on Capitol Records, 1980 for the vinyl and 1988 for the CD). It was not intended to be part of the first album by the band or the label back when said album was released.
The same goes for "Twilight Zone" and "Total Eclipse".
Ah, that explains it. I've only ever heard the 1998 remasters.

Actually Total Eclipse was intended to be in the tracklist, but the band had to choose one song for the Run to the Hills B-side since they had too much material. They later regretted their choice, tho.

It's not exactly the same as Sanctuary and Twilight Zone.

Ah, that explains it. I've only ever heard the 1998 remasters.
Sanctuary was also in a different position (I think due to the vinyl limitations). They placed between Strange World and Chalotte the Harlot back in 1980, in 1998 they moved it to the second position (also they changed the credits).

Iron Maiden: Running Free (assuming Sanctuary isn't counted as an album song, cause it isn't really)
Killers: N/A
The Number Of The Beast: Invaders
Piece Of Mind: Quest For Fire
Somewhere In Time: Heaven Can Wait
Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son: Can I Play With Madness

What about the other albums?

IM: Iron Maiden
K: Innocent Exile
TNOTB: Gangland
POM: To Tame A Land
P: Losfer Words
SIT: Deja-Vu
SSOASS: The Prophecy
NPFTD: The Assassin
FOTD: Weekend Warrior
TXF: Look For The Truth
VX: The Educated Fool
BNW: The Thin Line Between Love And Hate
DOD: Journeyman
AMOLAD: The Legacy
TFF: Mother Of Mercy
TBOS: Death Or Glory

IM: Charlotte
K: Genghis
TNOTB: 22 Acacia Avw
POM: Quest
SIT: Alexander
SSOASS: Prophecy
TFF: Starblind

Last edited:
IM: Iron Maiden
K: Innocent Exile
TNOTB: Gangland
POM: To Tame A Land
SIT: Deja-Vu
SSOASS: The Prophecy
NPFTD: The Assassin
FOTD: Weekend Warrior
TXF: Look For The Truth
VX: The Educated Fool
BNW: The Thin Line Between Love And Hate
DOD: Journeyman
AMOLAD: The Legacy
TFF: Mother Of Mercy
The Prophecy (I understand since SSOASS is all killer- nevertheless this is one of my favorite tracks fom the album), The Educated Fool and Journeyman (with tracks such as TAATG, WTWC, DLTTEOAS, Age Of Innocence, New Frontier?) are controversial picks to say the least but ok.
But.... To Tame A Land, The Thin Line Between Love And Hate and The Legacy???????? OMG.

Back