Guitar-Orientated Instrumental Music

CriedWhenBrucieLeft

Meme Only Account
:welcome:

GUITAR-ORIENTATED INSTRUMENTAL MUSIC
Heartwarming chitchat about all your favourite pluckers & pickers.
Post your thoughts, your clips, your reviews, right here. Even your lists!
Discuss guitars, guitar heroes, guitar technique, gear, harmonic theory...
Discuss anything that's guitar-orientated instrumental music.

———————————————————————————————

I know most of the guitarists that might be discussed here may also have their own threads; this doesn't aim to replace those. You want to talk Satch or Buckethead specifically—they have their own threads. But I think it a bit messy sometimes to off-topic threads with really specific guitarist chat, as I was with the DT thread & Petrucci. And without his own thread (& others who're too minor to have their own dedicated threads) there isn't really anywhere to have nerdy guitar-orientated discussion. Thought it might be cool to have somewhere for random chat to come together.

Going to open the thread with a few clips of a guy I've really, really come to admire but that nobody's probably heard of. He has interesting "old-school" technique (hybrid/finger-picking right-hand); is a bit AOR-ish, but has huge chops; and has a small but really impressive body of solo work. But most of all he's a Holdsworth fan (we'll get to him later) and that influence is clearly evident in his use of altered scales, Super Locrian, etc. His "outside" playing isn't as crazy as Holdsworth's but it is exquisite; a bit more approachable than Holdsworth you might argue. His note-choice & phrasing is incredible; the best of any guitarist I listen to, in my opinion. Trying not to sound too gushing here, but I love his playing. He's a great slide player too...

BRETT GARSED
Please listen to these. The guy is pure gold.

THIS THREAD IS BROUGHT TO YOU BY CRIED

Not my thing at all but he did say that he was a legato player so hats off for that. I may view your thread, Cried but I doubt that I will have anything of note to say. As usual. Although if you get to Jeff Lang I'll tell ye a story. Not a good one but a story nonetheless.

Ben Garsed was pretty cool. Really liked the space-y vibes in the first vid. Dark Matter wasn’t quite my style, but mad respect all the same.

Thank you, Cried. Never heard of Garsed before. Really great stuff here, when there´s time I´m going to delve deeper into his music.

:welcome:

GUITAR-ORIENTATED INSTRUMENTAL MUSIC
Heartwarming chitchat about all your favourite pluckers & pickers.
Post your thoughts, your clips, your reviews, right here. Even your lists!
Discuss guitars, guitar heroes, guitar technique, gear, harmonic theory...
Discuss anything that's guitar-orientated instrumental music.

———————————————————————————————

I know most of the guitarists that might be discussed here may also have their own threads; this doesn't aim to replace those. You want to talk Satch or Buckethead specifically—they have their own threads. But I think it a bit messy sometimes to off-topic threads with really specific guitarist chat, as I was with the DT thread & Petrucci. And without his own thread (& others who're too minor to have their own dedicated threads) there isn't really anywhere to have nerdy guitar-orientated discussion. Thought it might be cool to have somewhere for random chat to come together.

Going to open the thread with a few clips of a guy I've really, really come to admire but that nobody's probably heard of. He has interesting "old-school" technique (hybrid/finger-picking right-hand); is a bit AOR-ish, but has huge chops; and has a small but really impressive body of solo work. But most of all he's a Holdsworth fan (we'll get to him later) and that influence is clearly evident in his use of altered scales, Super Locrian, etc. His "outside" playing isn't as crazy as Holdsworth's but it is exquisite; a bit more approachable than Holdsworth you might argue. His note-choice & phrasing is incredible; the best of any guitarist I listen to, in my opinion. Trying not to sound too gushing here, but I love his playing. He's a great slide player too...

BRETT GARSED
Please listen to these. The guy is pure gold.

THIS THREAD IS BROUGHT TO YOU BY CRIED

Alright, okay. The first example reminded me of a cross between Eric Johnson (sound) and the harmonics stuff of Tommy Emmanuel.

I think I like Brett Garsed best in the demonstration video you posted.

A guitar oriented instrumental album I enjoy is Scott Henderson’s VIBE STATION.

Last edited:
I haven't listened to any Scott Henderson stuff yet. How would describe his playing @jazz from hell?

EDIT:
Okay, listening to Vibe Station right now. I like this, nice. I'm assuming "Jazz Fusion" covers this! ;)
He can fuck off with his Suhr endorsement though. Wouldn't expect anything else from £2k+ guitar.

Last edited:
Henderson plays a mix of blues, rock and jazz, yes. Roughly, his sound is rock. Chords, lines, improvisation = modern jazz (very much inspired by Holdsworth)... + blues.

Funny, I was just listening to Matador. Great album. Especially noteworthy for the presence of Mccoy Tyner and Elvin Jones. The rendition of My Favorite Things is interesting, especially to hear how Tyner and Jones play the song differently than with Coltrane. Much more modal recordings here than some of Green’s earlier work, but also typical of the time.
I spent a couple years at jazz college and Green is surprisingly underrated in the community.

Not my thing at all but he did say that he was a legato player so hats off for that. I may view your thread, Cried but I doubt that I will have anything of note to say. As usual. Although if you get to Jeff Lang I'll tell ye a story. Not a good one but a story nonetheless.
Just to add a general point: lots of the music I might post here is not really "my thing" either if I'm being totally honest. But over the last few years I started playing my guitar (a lot) more & have been doing more music theory. And as part of that I started listening to different guitarists in genres I suppose I'd never really listened to before. I'm not going to pretend I'm listening to lots of Jazz; but I'm certainly listening to more Jazz-influenced stuff e.g. Fusion players. Brett Garsed, as example, really isn't what I'd have listened to before. But his playing, as a guitarist, is very, very interesting. I like his approach a lot.

And with that in mind, I'd like to mention Charlie Hunter. Interesting Jazz/Blues guitarist. Plays 7&8-string "fanfret" (multiscale) guitars; his custom has staggered pick-ups which play through two amps, regular & bass. Plays both the bass parts and "guitar parts" together. A bit gimmicky and his releases are a bit of a mixed bag; but interesting, as the guy's got genuine groove.

Since Al Di Meola has already been mentioned and Cried wrote about trying to get into jazz, I'll drop my little fave here

Here it's with better sound quality, but without video (which is shit quality anyway)

Yup, I'm a sucker for most Latin-influenced music in general, I'm a sucker for both Al and Paco (and even McLaughlin, who played with them that night - various combinations, in the end they even played as a trio) so yes, it's kinda predictable of me, but anyway. One of the albums I spin very often.

Here's more Al solo

and more McLaughlin with Maha Orchestra

And I'm gonna bring this down to the "plebs level" again - this one is not an instrumental band usually ... but for this song they are and there's just something about Duane that makes my heart skip a beat. Also, while below any of the aforementioned greats, I'd say that for a Southern rock band they are pretty... "high-brow"...

Hey, you asked what guitar-oriented instrumental music rocked our boat, right? And you know I like Satch and MacAlpine and Vai and Tosin Abasi and Bumblefoot and Govan and all these, so I'm just kinda throwing other stuff out there.

Some of the later Mahavishnu stuff like Visions Of The Esmerald Beyond is great too imo. Plus they have great album covers + titles! :angel: Scott Henerson described them once as jazz with Indian music and heavy metal.

Funny, I was just listening to Matador. Great album. Especially noteworthy for the presence of Mccoy Tyner and Elvin Jones. The rendition of My Favorite Things is interesting, especially to hear how Tyner and Jones play the song differently than with Coltrane. Much more modal recordings here than some of Green’s earlier work, but also typical of the time.
I spent a couple years at jazz college and Green is surprisingly underrated in the community.
Glad you like that Mosh. Lots of people (here included) mostly seem to care for fast, technical or freaky stuff, and sadly ignore Grant Green's playing.

Al Di Meola is probably one of my Top 5 guitarists, at least close to that. Massive influence on my own guitar playing as well, probably more influential than anyone else. I'm probably about 5% as good as he is, but still. :D Elegant Gypsy is my favorite album from him.

Since Al Di Meola has already been mentioned and Cried wrote about trying to get into jazz, I'll drop my little fave here
Not really trying to get "into Jazz", but thanks.
Hey, you asked what guitar-oriented instrumental music rocked our boat, right? And you know I like Satch and MacAlpine and Vai and Tosin Abasi and Bumblefoot and Govan and all these, so I'm just kinda throwing other stuff out there.
Throwing stuff out there was definitely what this thread is for though. I plan to visit all suggestions at a leisurely pace...

:ok:

Back