Best and worst opening bands you have seen.

PieceofMind89

Educated Fool
Best: Saxon(opening for Judas Priest), Uriah Heep(Judas Priest), Ghost(Iron Maiden) and Rival Sons(Black Sabbath).
Worst: The Raven Age(Iron Maiden) and Stone Sour(Ozzy).

Best: Gojira (Metallica)

Worst: Lauryn Harris (Maiden), Ghost (Maiden)... and I could swear I saw 5 Finger Death Punch opening for someone somewhere, but I'm not sure who.

Best: Helloween (opening for Maiden in '98 right after the forgettable bland Dirty Deeds)
Enchant (opening for Spock´s Beard)
Mindfeed (opening for Symphony X)

Worst: My Dying Bride (opening for Maiden in ´95)
Freedom Call (opening for HammerFall)

Best: Edguy (opening for Angra in 1999)
Worst: Murderdolls (opening for Maiden in 2003)
Most "Don't Know What To Think About It": Tiken Jah Fakoly for Alice Cooper (2015). Not unpleasant, but it felt long. It was a small festival.

Last edited:
Best: Scorpions for Judas Priest, they blew them off the stage

Worst: the promoters own pub band for Geoff Tate or Murderdolls for Maiden

Worst: Lauryn Harris (Maiden)

Surprised to see that you're the only one mentioning her. I wonder are people too young for that tour, unlikely I think since AMOLAD put up a good performance in the album poll. I wonder is she getting a free pass because Richie Faulkner was in the band and now people are retrospectively deciding the band was better than they were?

Or maybe she wasn't that bad? I for one would rather hear a band open with The Natural Thing than watch some prick twirl an umbrella around while he sings "I like to say fuck":lol:

Actually, now that I think about it Mastodon were worse than Murderdolls.

No stage pressence, shit sound, they had the bass drum skin go during the set and spent ten mins shoe gazing rather than entertain, e.g. when Scorpions had guitar issues at one of those Priest shows they filled the dead air with an acapella version of Holiday

In fairness, I saw Mastodon open for Slayer as well when they had no problems, and they were pretty bad then as well.

Anyone remembering Dirty Deeds? It was quite bad but Murderdolls was at a much higher level of shittiness.

Anyone remembering Dirty Deeds? It was quite bad but Murderdolls was at a much higher level of shittiness.

I got them on the X Factour.

The Untouchables featuring you-know-who were the support at the gig in Nottingham two days later. D'oh!

Just noticed that the tour dates on the Maiden site are fucked up, they don't have the belfast date listed, and they have the Dublin date as taking place on the day the Belfast date took place. By all accounts that Belfast date was possibly the worst attended in Europe since the pub days, so I wonder are Maiden trying to delete it from history :lol: @Luisma do you have any info about this Belfast date from Jan 30th 1996? Dublin date was definitely the 31st, I was there and I have the ticket.

The official website mentions "Montluron" instead of Montluçon... They can't even spell citynames properly... which happen quite frequently it seems (Wiener, instead of Wiener Neustadt for instance)

Best: Metallica, Dokken, and Scorpions opening for Van Hagar the summer of ‘88.

Worst: Blitzspeer opening for Megadeth in early ‘91.

Dishonorable mention: Stone Temple Pilots opening for Megadeth in early ‘93.

Surprised to see that you're the only one mentioning her. I wonder are people too young for that tour, unlikely I think since AMOLAD put up a good performance in the album poll. I wonder is she getting a free pass because Richie Faulkner was in the band and now people are retrospectively deciding the band was better than they were?

Or maybe she wasn't that bad? I for one would rather hear a band open with The Natural Thing than watch some prick twirl an umbrella around while he sings "I like to say fuck":lol:
Can’t speak about her live performances, but her songs have come up on Spotify and actually were kinda cool. Didn’t think she was bad at all.

Back