Favorite "Hair Metal" Albums

Why they can't just make a proper Dokken album is beyond me...
Because Don’s a douche and always has been. Though in fairness, the band he’s calling Dokken these days has been together for a long time, and they’re all apparently willing to put up with his shit, so he doesn’t want to mess that up with an extended reunion.

And I’m not sure I agree with 10% Don being better than other options, really. His voice is totally shot now, and Mason still sounds great. Hell, Jeff Pilson’s voice is better than Don’s now. The Lynch/Pilson album and the T&N stuff with Jeff on vocals worked great. Maybe they should’ve just done a three-piece and called it “Rokken” (without Dokken), and let the law suits fly. But Mick Brown is still in Dokken, so that probably wouldn’t be an option.

A couple more End Machine videos:

I’ve listened to the full album now, and as you’d expect it’s got elements of both Dokken and Lynch Mob to it, but also an interesting noodly vibe that gives it a different feel from a lot of their previous work.

I need to digest the album some more. There’s a lot of strong stuff here, but at least a couple of filler tracks on the first listen.

Other than Maiden and Metallica I mostly listened to hair metal as a teen but lost interest once I found Bob Dylan. The only hair band that I really kept listening to was Motley Crue but recently decided to get those 80s albums on disc.

01 Motley Crue - Too Fast For Love
02 Motley Crue - Shout At The Devil
03 Skid Row - Slave To The Grind
04 Cinderella - Long Cold Winter
05 Ratt - Invasion Of Your Privacy
07 Whitesnake - Whitesnake
08 Skid Row - Skid Row
09 Cinderella - Cinderella
10 Motley Crue - Dr. Feelgood

Whitesnake 1987
Whitesnake - Slide It In (Although this one really isn't hair metal)
Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet
Def Leppard - Hysteria
Def Leppard - Pyromania
Scorpions - Lovedrive
Scorpions - Blackout
Scorpions - Love At First Sting
GNR - Appetite for Destruction (Also not really true hair metal)

Whitesnake 1987
Whitesnake - Slide It In (Although this one really isn't hair metal)
Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet
Def Leppard - Hysteria
Def Leppard - Pyromania
Scorpions - Lovedrive
Scorpions - Blackout
Scorpions - Love At First Sting
GNR - Appetite for Destruction (Also not really true hair metal)
The inclusion of Slippery When Wet is the only reason I did not click LIKE; rest of the list I agree with (I much prefer the 1st 2 Bon Jovi cds over SWW)

The inclusion of Slippery When Wet is the only reason I did not click LIKE; rest of the list I agree with (I much prefer the 1st 2 Bon Jovi cds over SWW)
I have sadly neglected the first two albums; my intention is to give each a proper listen in the near future. Slippery just has so many great songs on it

SWW is Far too commercial for me with the songwriting doctors that were hired for that lp. I feel the 1st 2 cds have more heart and heavier as well

I spun off a Dokken & Lynch Mob thread since there’s a decent amount going on in that camp and this isn’t the most appropriate place to talk about it.

This isn't the most appropriate place to talk about anything, because "hair "metal"" doesn't exist.

This isn't the most appropriate place to talk about anything, because "hair "metal"" doesn't exist.

Sorry if I cant tell if this is sarcasm or not, but I always assumed that hair metal was more of a "derogatory" term for Glam Metal, and they're one and the same. I pretty much use Hair Metal, Glam Metal, and Glam rock all the same.

Sorry if I cant tell if this is sarcasm or not, but I always assumed that hair metal was more of a "derogatory" term for Glam Metal, and they're one and the same. I pretty much use Hair Metal, Glam Metal, and Glam rock all the same.

All those names are considered derogatory terms towards the bands classified under the umbrella. They are just commerical sounding rock and metal.

I don't think glam is a derogatory term.
It was used by the radio stations to reduce the bands status as a viable band of the genre of hard rock or metal. Basically it was their way of saying you tick all the boxes to be part of the genre but you sound a little different so we are going to add a tag which can be used to discredit your value.

Back