Your Maiden blasphemy

It’s overrated because it has those three songs on it.
It's overrated... because it has three of Maiden's all-time top 20 songs on it? Weird logic, but okay. I give that honor to SiT because it has only one all-time classic standout track. Don't get me wrong, I love that album and it has plenty of good songs on it, but the average songwriting just isn't at the "best album" level a lot of people seem to claim it is.

NOTB, as highly ranked as it is everywhere outside of Maidenfans, actually earns that privilege because it has some of the best fucking songs Iron Maiden ever put on tape on it, and even with two bummers (Invaders and Gangland) the rest of the album is also extremely good material. That's why I don't consider it the most overrated. It may be somewhat overrated, sure, but definitely not the worst example in my mind.

The thing with TNOTB, in my opinion anyway, is that those two bummers are relatively big part of a record with eight songs, where as many other albums might not have as many all-time-best songs, but are slightly more consistent. That's what probably makes SIT so beloved and arguably overrated: it doesn't really have any big drops in overall quality and consistency, even if some individual songs are more or less clearly inferior to others. That, combined with it's signature sound and glorious artwork makes it remarkably special album, even if the songwriting itself isn't quite their best-ever there.

As for my personal opinion on the matter... I agree that TNOTB is a bit overrated when it comes to it dominating many "best Iron Maiden album" rankings and whatnot, but that's about it.

Given how many times I've posted on this thread without really revealing any blashphemic opinions of my own, I should probably do it now... Maybe I've actually mentioned this earlier, but this is one of these threads that go on cycles anyway... :p

I've always find the visual side of Virtual XI period very interesting and intriguing. The horrible CGI is a product of it's time and the overall styslistic approach wasn't that tasteful either, but there was a lot of potential...

The album with NOTB, Hallowed and RTTH on it? Yeah, no.
And more generally, there is no other Maiden album that can boast a stronger 5-song run than "Children of the Damned", "The Prisoner", "22 Acacia Avenue", "The Number of the Beast" and "Run To The Hills" in a row.

And more generally, there is no other Maiden album that can boast a stronger 5-song run than "Children of the Damned", "The Prisoner", "22 Acacia Avenue", "The Number of the Beast" and "Run To The Hills" in a row.
  • Moonchild through Seventh Son
  • The Longest Day through Lord Of Light

Any 5-in a row on AMOLAD, BNW, SIT, POM, TFF, TBOS or SSOASS is better than the one on The Number of the Beast. Hell, that streak doesn't even include the only 10/10 song on the album. :)

Ranking of the reunion albums:

1: Book of Souls (great short rockers like Great Unknown and Shadows of the Valley - and of course great epics)
2: Dance of Death/AMOLAD (tie -- DoD has greater highs, AMOLAD more consistent, yet I find it to be *slightly* overrated by the fanbase and I actually give the *slightest* edge to DoD as far as repeat listens over the years - excellent first 5 track run on DoD also
3: Brave New World
4: The Final Frontier (the "No Prayer for the Dying" of the reunion era -- yet I find that a few of the songs are more impressive than anything on BNW - especially Starblind and The Talisman)

Also where eagles dare to still life is a 6 song run.

EDIT: I'd argue SSOASS is an 8 song run, but I will accept for the sake of this argument The Prophecy is considered a weak track by most

Bruce-related blasphemy (?):
my favourite live line-up is not one that includes Adrian Smith (though the albums which do are at least top 3 material). From watching the live performances of each line-up, I think the best is the latest one: Bruce - Alex Dickson - Pete Friesen - Chris Dale - Robin Guy. They were all professional, precise, intense but also -and this is what most other line-ups lacked- fun to watch, so that Bruce seemed to feel less alone moving around on stage (Eddie Casillas made efforts at least).

Back