GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

Time is running low to get my vote in so skimming these two. Never listened to either before. Bewitched easily. Gallops and melody for the win.

Bathory beats COB - I listened to both albums in full. Listened to some Bathory before, never listened to COB. I didnt mind some of COB but the vocals were annoying, as were the 8 Bit sounding guitar and the thin production. It was a weird listen for me, at times I thought the keyboards really enhanced a section and then there were some really out of place keys. And I thought the production was generally thin but then there would be a brief bass heavy section. Odd. Some decent, energetic stuff but overall I was constantly thinking it could be good rather than it was good. Bathory also has production issues but I ignore them because its old and cheap. Some great guitar in this, I can really hear the NWOBHM influence.

Spiritual Beggars beat Heavens Gate. Listened to both in full and enjoyed both but as the Hick says, there's better versions of HG out there and SB were something different in the game. This is the first time I've listened to a full SB album, mainly know them through Stoner Blues playlists. I reckon I'll listen to more of both of these bands.

Final match is hard. I know little of either band. Heard the odd song here or there. DT seems more up my street although neither is what I normally listen to. I'd say both deserve a proper listen but as it is, DT get my vote.

Aspid over Bewitched - the Bewitched album should have lost already at league 17, yet it appears I will have to talk at least once more about how the style and theme don't make sense together whatsoever. Aspid are quite unique (and the artwork is actually pretty awesome), easy vote.

Bodom over Bathory - sorry, I just haven't been able to get into black metal at all.

Missed the last 2

Bewitched knocks off Aspid's only album in the GMAC. Next up: Danzig.
Children of Bodom continues a minnow run, defeating Bathory. Bathory has many more albums in the game, and returns in League 8.
Spiritual Beggars edge Heavens Gate. That was the German power group's last band, and Beggars next is against Nirvana.
Dark Tranquility ends Persefone's deep minnow run with a narrow win. They'll face Strapping Young Lad next.

Silence_Followed_By_a_Deafening_Roar_album.jpg

Paul Gilbert - Silence Followed By a Deafening Roar (2008)

How it got here

List entries: Metalstorm 32
League 15 - Match 9vs.
Skidrow-st.jpg

Skid Row - Skid Row (1989)

How it got here

List entries: Metal Rules 82
Previous Rounds:
League 17: Defeated Lamb of God - As the Palaces Burn 17-6.
League 16: Defeated Melvins - Bullhead 14-7.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Slipknot_Iowa.jpg

Slipknot - Iowa (2001)

How it got here

List entries: Rolling Stone 50
League 15 - Match 10vs.
Baroness_-_Red_Album.jpg

Baroness - The Red Album (2007)

How it got here

List entries: Rolling Stone 83

Previous Rounds:
League 17: Defeated Naked City - Torture Garden 19-2.
League 16: Defeated Type O Negative - Bloody Kisses 12-8.

Tombofthemutilated.jpeg
Cannibal Corpse - Tomb of the Mutilated (1992)

How it got here

List entries: Loudwire 47
League 15 - Match 11vs.
Living_Colour-Vivid.jpg

Living Colour - Vivid (1988)

How it got here

List entries: Rolling Stone 71
Previous Rounds:
League 17: Defeated Manowar - Hail to England 12-10.
League 16: Defeated Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant 15-5.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pantera-FarBeyondDriven.jpg

Pantera - Far Beyond Driven (1994)

How it got here

List entries: Rolling Stone 39
League 15 - Match 12vs.
Isis_-_Oceanic.jpg

Isis - Oceanic (2002)

How it got here

List entries: Rolling Stone 72
Previous Rounds:
League 17: Defeated Eyehategod - Take As Needed For Pain 16-4.
League 16: Defeated Hibria - Defying the Rules 12-8.

Last edited:
Paul Gilbert - I'm not a fan of listening to guitar virtuoso albums, but I've a mate who lives for them, and I've gone to a good few gigs down through the years with him as it's great to watch these guys in the flesh. I've seen Gilbert a few times, and I'm pretty sure I seen him on this tour, and he's the best of the lot of them, as he's clearly having a laugh. However, he's up against a real album that I actually like (EDIT - also Metal Storm :lol: 32nd best album of all time!)

Skid Row - opinion given a few times

Skid Row with the win.

Slipknot - rubbish, pretty sure there's a riff lifted from Slayer's Kill Again in that intro, vocals are terrible, compounded by the fact that this guy can actually sing really well

Baroness - if it was just this song I might have voted for Slipknot, takes ages for anything to kick in and when it does it's just a stolen chord sequence from Oasis' Champagne Supernova, but I remember an okay track from the last round

Baroness with the win.

Cannibal Corpse - intro okay apart from laughable snare drum, then it's just awful

Living Colour - not my kind of music but easily good enough to beat Cannibal Corpse, sounds like if Stevie Ray Vaughan collaborated with Fine Young Cannibals

Living Colour with the win

Pantera - This is the album where I lost interest with Pantera. Paradoxically, I think I'm Broken is the best thing they ever done, it's like a pissed off Led Zeppelin (think Immigrant Song/Wanton Song), Planet Caravan is okay as well, and the first few tracks are passable but there's a lot of rubbish on the rest of the album.

Isis - this track is better than the others I've heard in the previous rounds, but it's really just a couple of minutes of nothing

Pantera with the win

Last edited:
I was at that Gilbert tour, found this impromptu cover that I remember from the gig, the year matches the album

People=Shit is one hell of a concert opener. It might not be the most accessible track on the album for someone who doesn't know or like Slipknot though.

As a fun aside, I used to work for Apple on the iTunes Store. This was back before purchases were kept in the cloud - all iTunes Store purchases were allowed to be downloaded once, then the user had to manage their data appropriately. From time to time, downloads would fail or the device would fail before data could be transferred.

A fellow emailed in to get his song restored. He emailed in from his work email, and it had his signature as a VP at some major US bank, like Chase Manhattan or BOA, I don't remember which one. He was super cagey about what he wanted. "I recently downloaded an album. And the album downloaded entirely except for one song. It was the 7th song on the album." So I looked it up and it was Tomb of the Mutilated. The song was "Entrails Ripped From a Virgin's Cunt". It was clear he was worried about tripping some work security feature with his outgoing email.

My response email quoted the song name as many times as possible. It was like this:

Hello Mr. Banker,

I'm really sorry to hear that your copy of "Entrails Ripped From a Virgin's Cunt" didn't download as expected. I know it's really disappointing when a song you're excited to listen to, like "Entrails Ripped From a Virgin's Cunt", doesn't show up on time. I'm happy to help you resolve your issue with the missing copy of "Entrails Ripped From a Virgin's Cunt"! In order to resolve the issue, I've requeued a new copy of "Entrails Ripped From a Virgin's Cunt" for you to download and enjoy. Please sign into the iTunes Store on your favourite device to download "Entrails Ripped From a Virgin's Cunt."

Mr. Banker, I hope this resolves your issue with missing "Entrails Ripped From a Virgin's Cunt". If you still can't get a copy of "Entrails Ripped From a Virgin's Cunt", please let me know as soon as possible. I hope you enjoy "Entrails Ripped From a Virgin's Cunt!"

Cheers,
LC

Back