Everyone seems to be selling bootlegs these days

Ascendingthethrone

Ancient Mariner
I have been on a few FB groups for bootlegs and rare items and it seems that more and more people are selling bootlegs these days. When I got hold of some bootlegs about 15 years ago, I did all by trading. Is it now acceptable to sell them or is it still frowned upon? Personally I hope it is the latter.

Still frowned upon in the trading circles. I have a Facebook group for lossless bootlegs and selling is not allowed. I will also have a community for it up and running by hopefully July 1, 2020.

It depends on the format I suppose. As many others do Ive made my lossless digital concert collection free to all for years on the bootleg hub. Though I havent been active in a couple of years and I think my account has gone dormant.

Ive never sold/bought digital, tape or CD bootlegs. I will however go out of my way to buy a vinyl bootleg of exceptional quality or one of a specific concert I attended.

It depends on the format I suppose. As many others do Ive made my lossless digital concert collection free to all for years on the bootleg hub. Though I havent been active in a couple of years and I think my account has gone dormant.

The hub is still up and yeah I think after a certain time you have to redo your account. I had to when I came back to trading a few months ago.

The hub is still up and yeah I think after a certain time you have to redo your account. I had to when I came back to trading a few months ago.

Did you have to make a new account or were you able to reactivate your old one? Now that I have a new computer Id like to get back into that.

Im curious how this all works. So selling is frowned upon. Do you need to give to get? I know fuck all about this scene.
I have a double disc cd Maiden bootleg, X Factour, recorded from what seems to be backstage in Holland. There are many moments when the chatter is louder than the band. Its shit. Might be funny to Dutch speakers. I also have a vinyl from Hammersmith 1980, its called Unleash The Beast. Is that the kind of thing people are after? I have no interest in selling but I would share these if they are interesting or rare (which I doubt).
Also , I've seen quite a few boots on youtube. Is there a thing were people want the actual physical copy of a good boot rather than listen online or are the best ones not on youtube?

Did you have to make a new account or were you able to reactivate your old one? Now that I have a new computer Id like to get back into that.

I'm assuming we are talking about the Iron Maiden DC++ Hub here. If you still know your login for the forum you can login and contact an admin (Tommy666) by PM to ask that your account be reinstated. I'm using my account from years ago I just had to let them know I was back to trading again. If you don't have an account on that forum, create a new one, read the rules sticky and contact Tommy666.

Im curious how this all works. So selling is frowned upon. Do you need to give to get? I know fuck all about this scene.

Yes selling is a no no and also typically most traders do not encourage you to buy any bootlegs either fearing that it just fuels the sellers to offer more shows for sell. Selling bootlegs is actually illegal everywhere except Japan. Trading bootlegs is legal everywhere except Sweden (at least last time I checked the laws, it's been a few years, it may have changed now). When you trade bootlegs its just what it sounds like. You trade your shows for other shows from other traders.

I have a double disc cd Maiden bootleg, X Factour, recorded from what seems to be backstage in Holland. There are many moments when the chatter is louder than the band. Its shit. Might be funny to Dutch speakers. I also have a vinyl from Hammersmith 1980, its called Unleash The Beast. Is that the kind of thing people are after? I have no interest in selling but I would share these if they are interesting or rare (which I doubt).

Not sure about those shows, but there are literally hundreds of Maiden shows already circulating in the trade circles so those shows are probably already being traded, but I'm not sure. You would have to do some research to see.

Typically these days bootlegs are traded online or via Snail Mail (Postal Mail). Most people choose to trade online because its faster, less costly & easier. If trading snail mail you burn out whatever shows the other trader wants on media disks & send them. Bootleg shows are usually unauthorized live shows filmed or taped by a fan for fans. For instance when I list my updates on here I list audio (usually FLAC format) & video shows (usually in DVD, HD or Blu-Ray). As for trading those shows you listed in the format they are in already that is different from what bootleg traders like me do. There are people who trade the physical bootlegs in vinyl or what have you as well and some traders like me trade those too.

Also , I've seen quite a few boots on youtube. Is there a thing were people want the actual physical copy of a good boot rather than listen online or are the best ones not on youtube?

Yes that is what the kind of trading I do is all about. You get your own copy of the show to share with others. :)

Thanks for the info Herz666. Ill poke around and see if I can get back up and running.

Im curious how this all works.?

It really depends out what your looking for. Do you just want to collect lossless digital versions of concerts then the Hub or poking around guitars101.com should get you most everything you want.

Anytime someone puts value on something there will be someone looking to sell it. In my experience there's not just a single trading community with a single like set of rules. If you really want to get into those trading communities then you will want to hang out where they congregate and get an idea of that particular group finds appropriate. The thought of physically recording, packaging and mailing out and waiting on a return from your trading partner is way to tedious for 2020 me but there's plenty out there that enjoy this from of collecting.

Then there's lots bootleg labels that produce CD's, tapes and vinyl to varying degrees of quality. Alot of them are shit but some are really nice. There are whole communities out there focused on releases by these labels. Rob Doran has a long running youtube channel where he reviews bootleg Maiden vinyl thats worth checking out.

On guitars 101, it's best to register and once you're approved, use the search function. Under search, select "advanced search". Then, on the right side, highlight "bootlegs". Then, under the search bar, select "search titles only". Then do your search.

On guitars 101, it's best to register and once you're approved, use the search function. Under search, select "advanced search". Then, on the right side, highlight "bootlegs". Then, under the search bar, select "search titles only". Then do your search.

Not sure what this has to do with the topic :) There is an easier way though. Just go to the bootlegs section and on the right hand side there is a drop search "search this forum" type in the band name you are looking for and hit the enter key.

Back