another SRFC ridiculous nerd thread: the original video of FOTD back in the day is not the same as what's on youtube now

srfc

Ancient Mariner
I was discussing the FOTD Live single with mckindog in the spotify thread. My memory from back in the day was that the video footage of the single was from Donington but that the audio was not, that it was the same as on ARLO i.e. the audio was from Helsinki.

The video on youtube now has the audio from Donington. This is also the version that is on Visions of the Beast.

The quick way to spot the audio is the same, is you can hear an airhorn/foghorn while nicko is counting the song in. You can't hear this horn on the ARLO version.

However, I found the actual video from back in the day. Not only is the audio the proper audio from Helsinki as what is on the physical releases of the single, but the video footage is a good bit different from what is on youtube and visions of the beast.

The Hallowed Live single seems to have been wiped from existence on the Youtube channel. However it is on Visions of the Beast, with Audio from Donington not Moscow (very easy to spot, "scream for me donington").

I can't remember with certainty, but I think back in the day this had a proper video as well with the footage from Donington but the proper audio from Moscow. And I suspect the footage is probably edited completely different as well, like the FOTD footage was.

The Hallowed Live single seems to have been wiped from existence on the Youtube channel. However it is on Visions of the Beast, with Audio from Donington not Moscow (very easy to spot, "scream for me donington").

I can't remember with certainty, but I think back in the day this had a proper video as well with the footage from Donington but the proper audio from Moscow. And I suspect the footage is probably edited completely different as well, like the FOTD footage was.

It’s the Maidendela Effect.

This is legit, I remember somebody posting about this some 10 odd years ago. It's curious. My best explanation for this is that Maiden realised during the production of VOTB that the original FOTD video had never appeared on any official release and thus used the opportunity to retouch it into a Donington '92 promo video.

Does any version of this video appear on the 1998 ARLDO or Donington enhanced CDs?

This is the Hallowed video from VOTB. The audio is definitely Donington '92.

Does any version of this video appear on the 1998 ARLDO or Donington enhanced CDs?

Fear of the Dark with the Donington audio is on ARLDO on the ARLO disc. The ARDO disc has no enhanced content. ARLDO is the only cd from the whole set that only has one video on it.

Interestingly, Live at Donington has 7 clips on it! Including Hallowed live, and it's the video you just posted above.

I think your theory is correct that they touched up FOTD live in 98 and have done the same with Hallowed.

I doubt it's a "Maidendela" Effect, we had the Hallowed video as a topic a long time ago: https://forum.maidenfans.com/threads/iron-maiden-promo-videos-help.9115/#post-110777

I watched the clip again and the frame I remembered was on the video, so I sneakily deleted that part from my post :lol:

I've been looking on youtube, and jaysus what a nightmare, you can't find an actual Maiden official release video from a top 10 UK single, Bruce's last before he left the band no less!, but you can find umpteen videos of "rapper hears hallowed be thy name for the first time reaction OMG WTF!!LOL"

I was going to post the youtube clip of the original FOTD video in that other thread for Dreamaster but he hasn't been seen since 2007 :lol:

Ok so I found a video that has Donnington footage and ARDO audio (identified by the "Hey!" before cause at five o' clock) @srfc. It's the full video but at some points they have a small interview by steve harris so the audio goes down (like auto duck) and theres a small window like PiP with steve talking.

Ok so I found a video that has Donnington footage and ARDO audio (identified by the "Hey!" before cause at five o' clock) @srfc. It's the full video but at some points they have a small interview by steve harris so the audio goes down (like auto duck) and theres a small window like PiP with steve talking.

Good stuff! Do you have a link?

Brilliant, that's it alright!

Shame about the Steve interviews over it, but at least that's definitive proof that there was a different video for Hallowed with the Moscow audio on it, and as you can see the video footage is quite different as well to the video below, i.e shots of punters going into the venue etc.

Back