Your Maiden blasphemy

Maiden did mistake by releasing The X Factor and Virtual as separate albums.
IRON MAIDEN
The X Factor '95

1. Futureal
2. The Clansman
3. Man on the Edge
4. Fortunes of War
5. The Aftermath

6. Lord of the Flies
7. The Edge of Darkness
8. Judgement of Heaven
9. Sign of the Cross

it would be a great album :edmetal:

Maiden did mistake by releasing The X Factor and Virtual as separate albums.
IRON MAIDEN
The X Factor '95

1. Futureal
2. The Clansman
3. Man on the Edge
4. Fortunes of War
5. The Aftermath

6. Lord of the Flies
7. The Edge of Darkness
8. Judgement of Heaven
9. Sign of the Cross

it would be a great album :edmetal:
Good selection. Unfortunately, one certain @Diesel 11 will have to burn you alive for forgetting an essential song! :D

Joking aside, I have always thought "Sign of the Cross" (possibly with a shortened introduction) would have (also) made a great closer.

My selection would be

1. Man On The Edge
2. The Angel and the Gambler (much shortened version)
3. Judgment of Heaven
4. Fortunes of War
5. The Clansman

6. The Edge of Darkness
7. The Educated Fool
8. Como Estais Amigos
9. Lord of the Flies
10. Sign of the Cross

NB I like prog but, as much as Maiden is my favourite band, I don't think it is their forte (hence the absence of "Blood on the World's Hands" or "The Unbeliever" for instance). Leaving "The Aftermath" aside was a hard decision to make, but on the same subject, "Fortunes of War" was chosen instead thanks to Dave's solo).

Last edited:
Blasphemy!

My blasphemy is that I pretend the album after Seventh Son of a Seventh Son is Brave New World (No Prayer for the who? Fear of the what? X-Fact-how? Vitual X-why?). Also I think Paschendale is about 4 minutes too long and while I consider it a decent song, I just don't see it in Iron Maiden's top 4 songs.

Nine years too late, but hey! Totally agree! Plus, take the "best" (cough, cough) songs from X-Factor & Virtual XI, and they would barely make a half-decent album

A (potential) "visual" blasphemy: Brave New World is the last great Maiden sleeve cover, singles included.

The CGI hasn't aged well and never looked particularly good on anything bigger than a CD booklet. But the Eddie and the idea are great and I had a poster of it on the wall for some 12 years.

A (potential) "visual" blasphemy: Brave New World is the last great Maiden sleeve cover, singles included.

I agree to a certain extent, although I think TBOS is better. I only consider FOTD, BNW and TBOS to be iconic out of all post SSOASS artwork. Before that practically everything is iconic.

I like the Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg as well, even if the idea isn't the most original in the world at least it looks like Eddie the character rather than just a generic monster.

I agree to a certain extent, although I think TBOS is better. I only consider FOTD, BNW and TBOS to be iconic out of all post SSOASS artwork. Before that practically everything is iconic.

I like the Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg as well, even if the idea isn't the most original in the world at least it looks like Eddie the character rather than just a generic monster.
Granted, "Benjamin Breeg" is nice, but not that original (it is a kind of variation on Live After Death).

I, too, think TBOS is better.
And I'd add the sleeve is the best about that album.

Last edited:

TBOS cover is great (could have been more detailed though), TFF cover looks good, but Eddie is not looking like Eddie.. xd... AMOLAD cover is 50/50 and DOD cover is not that bad (! it is a unfinished artwork).

After the timeless artworks from the 80's I think only the FOTD cover is timeless too. NPFTD is not bad, TXF is 50/50 and VXI is great. And of course, the BNW cover is awesome.

You're right about the singles though - after TWM and OOTSP only the singles covers for TROBB and EOTC (if we count it) are great. It's a shame that SOL single do not have a proper cover. Maiden have a huge tradition with artworks for single covers and that is sad imo.

The Book of Souls is one of the best covers and pretty much every artwork they did for that album was brilliant.

Yeah, I think that the whole visual motif of TBOS was very well done and tastefully executed. Sleeves and booklets in every version from CD to vinyl, and also The Live Chapter. I also love BNW and AMOLAD covers, even if the CGI in the first mentioned is a bit dated and sort of misses the opportunity to include some 7th Son/SiT kind of details, but TBOS is probably their most consistent and extensive "overall visual package" since 7th Son of a Seventh Son days. That's something. AMOLAD isn't far behind, but the lack of "companions" such as live album kind of leaves it behind TBOS.

Live After Death is ruined by the crowd failing to chant "six six" in TNOTB

Edit: and " Iron Maiden" ffs!

Last edited:
Live After Death is ruined by the crowd failing to chant "six six" in TNOTB

Edit: and " Iron Maiden" ffs!
It has often been said, rightly or wrongly, that audiences have specificities depending on where they are from. For example, South American audiences sing, American audiences dance. ;) (and communication with Latin European audiences -France included- often fail because their English is rather poor. :D )

Another possible blasphemy: Kevin Shirley is the right producer for Iron Maiden...minus Bruce's voice.

It has often been said, rightly or wrongly, that audiences have specificities depending on where they are from. For example, South American audiences sing, American audiences dance. ;) (and communication with Latin European audiences -France included- often fail because their English is rather poor. :D )

Another possible blasphemy: Kevin Shirley is the right producer for Iron Maiden...minus Bruce's voice.

I was thinking more that there might be heavy "studio manipulation" involved in the crowd noise on LAD

Back