Which opening band would you rather be forced to sit through?

Which opening band would you rather be forced to sit through in order to see your favorite band?

• Total voters

Collin

Chasing Ponce De Leon's Phantoms
Let's set the scene.. Today you are going to a concert. It's one of your favorite bands. You purchased GA tickets and have been lined up since 1PM to get the best possible spot. You have beared through the heat and the plantar fasciitis that affects you. Now there's one thing left... That shitty opening band you really hate. Which one would you rather be forced to listen to?

We will start out with The Raven Age and Amaranthe. I'm open to adding suggestions.

Discuss!

Not a fan of Amaranthe, but I think I'd find them far more entertaining than the Raven Age.

Not so many polls where you really can't insist upon the Adrian Smith option being included...
Nonsense, I would gladly be “forced” to sit through an opening set of any of Adrian’s solo bands!

Don't think I've ever been the least bit concerned by who the opening band is. If you like the opening band happy days, if you don't go to the bar or show up late.

Don't think I've ever been the least bit concerned by who the opening band is. If you like the opening band happy days, if you don't go to the bar or show up late.

Wise words my friend. Twenty years ago I was the singer in a metal band and we got the opportunity to open the show for bigger bands. I was glad not to experience the hatred and contempt that people sometimes show for opening bands and even see some support from the people that went to see the headliners.

Amaranthe has a lot more going for them: good looking singer, two other singers to break up the monotony (regardless of the quality), and bad dance beats.

Seeing The Raven Age is like drinking a Bud Light: it feels like you've consumed something, but you've already forgotten what it was.

Wise words my friend. Twenty years ago I was the singer in a metal band and we got the opportunity to open the show for bigger bands. I was glad not to experience the hatred and contempt that people sometimes show for opening bands and even see some support from the people that went to see the headliners.
I don't know that it's so much hatred as distinterest/frustration/boredom. I nearly started a thread on this subject a while ago but couldn't be arsed in the end. I often see choices of support bands that don't make a lot of sense and aren't particularly of interest to the headliner's fans. A cooldown rather than a warmup band, to make the headliner absolutely dazzle in comparison?

It's most noticeable if there are three bands on the bill - a 'B' band in the same vein as the headliner or relating to them in some way, but either young and raw or lacking polish and expensive sets, followed by a band that is much more well established but often within a different genre or subgenre which might either interest some of the headliner fanbase or else bore them to tears. Then when so many people stay at the bar then wade in to the front just before the headliner comes on, you've got to ask if there's much point to the chosen support bands.

Classic example: opening band Katatonia, second band Lacuna Coil, headliner Paradise Lost
Another was Amorphis, followed by Arch Enemy, followed by Nightwish. Yes, I see the logic, Arch Enemy are female fronted, but a good many Nightwish fans found the vocals offputting.

I don't know that it's so much hatred as distinterest/frustration/boredom. I nearly started a thread on this subject a while ago but couldn't be arsed in the end. I often see choices of support bands that don't make a lot of sense and aren't particularly of interest to the headliner's fans. A cooldown rather than a warmup band, to make the headliner absolutely dazzle in comparison?

It's most noticeable if there are three bands on the bill - a 'B' band in the same vein as the headliner or relating to them in some way, but either young and raw or lacking polish and expensive sets, followed by a band that is much more well established but often within a different genre or subgenre which might either interest some of the headliner fanbase or else bore them to tears. Then when so many people stay at the bar then wade in to the front just before the headliner comes on, you've got to ask if there's much point to the chosen support bands.

Classic example: opening band Katatonia, second band Lacuna Coil, headliner Paradise Lost
Another was Amorphis, followed by Arch Enemy, followed by Nightwish. Yes, I see the logic, Arch Enemy are female fronted, but a good many Nightwish fans found the vocals offputting.

The composition of touring packages depends on many different factors and in most cases has nothing to do with what the fans of the main band might want to see. For example, the bands might share the same management (this was the case with some of the support bands Maiden has had over the years or the reason why Skunkworks ended up supporting Helloween back in 1996) or there might be some sort of friendship/family relationship (no prizes given for spotting Steve's nepotism here). In other cases, the record company (or in the worst case the band themselves) have to pay for the privilege of supporting another band. The latter is an example of the music business at its worst and I am proud that Maiden have NEVER asked anyone to pay for supporting them.

Last edited:
I often see choices of support bands that don't make a lot of sense and aren't particularly of interest to the headliner's fans.

I saw Queensryche a few years ago and the support was from the promoter's own band. The gig started late as they took so long setting up and they were basically an average pub band. The promoter's girlfriend was the singer.

Point is, I was there for Queensryche so who cares?

The latter is an example of the music business at its worst and I am proud that Maiden have NEVER asked anyone to pay for supporting them.

re: steve's nepotism.

I was flying out of Eindhoven after Graspop 05 and Lauren Harris and band where there waiting for a Ryanair flight to wherever the next gig was. So by the looks of things at least Maiden aren't picking up the bill for Steve's kids bands.

re: steve's nepotism.

I was flying out of Eindhoven after Graspop 05 and Lauren Harris and band where there waiting for a Ryanair flight to wherever the next gig was. So by the looks of things at least Maiden aren't picking up the bill for Steve's kids bands.

Blimey, Steve might be a tight bastard if he forces his daughter to fly with Ryanair! :lol:

Joking aside, they were upgraded to Ed Force One not long after that...

The composition of touring packages depends on many different factors and in most cases has nothing to do with what the fans of the main band might want to see. For example, the bands might share the same management (this was the case with some of the support bands Maiden has had over the years or the reason why Skunkworks ended up supporting Helloween back in 1996) or there might be some sort of friendship/family relationship (no prizes given for spotting Steve's nepotism here). In other cases, the record company (or in the worst case the band themselves) have to pay for the privilege of supporting another band.
That makes a lot of sense and explains the lack of value the fans often get out of the presence of support bands. It begs the question of at what point it becomes zero value to anyone to have a support band. The day when they have so little relevance that the only people in the venue for the support band are two rows at the barrier, and it's not even worth having your name on the promotional artwork?

Sabaton in Oslo mid February, with Apocalyptica and Amaranthe as support.

Should we arrive early to make sure we catch Amaranthe (they go first) or catch an extra beer at the bar first?

Back