Progressive rock / metal

Hmm.

Langevin:
The music is like a futuristic prog thrash metal trek with many twists and turns. The story involves the usual Voivodian topics: disasters, chaos, conflicts, strange plots and alternate consciousness.

Cool. I've never been much into this band, but I did like the sound and atmosphere of Phobos. Which sounded futuristic indeed.

Wow. It seems to be a really busy time for prog-metal. In the past month alone, Riverside, Haken, and Seventh Wonder have all released new albums. Not to Mention the newest Dream Theater album coming in February.

I don't know what to listen to first!

I am really pleased with the new Haken album after one listen. Their previous one, Affinity, was solid but a little bloated and took some musical directions that underwhelmed me. Vector stripped things down a bit and is also heavier. Cool keyboard sounds and awesome instrumental passages. The songwriting is also less predictable.

The only other prog metal I have spent significant time with this year is Orphaned Land. Their newest album is pretty good, lots of middle eastern influences in the music.

Very interesting Dutch progressive rock/metal band with female vocals:

Lisette van den Berg is the lead vocalist, she sang backup vocals for Ayreon and The Gentle Storm. Arjen sure knows how to pick female vocalists.

Favorite Prog Metal records:
  1. Devin Townsend - Infinity
  2. Cynic - Traced In Air (Focus also deserved to be here)
  3. Ihsahn - Amr
  4. Death - Individual Thought Patterns (any other of their 90's albums also deserved to be here)
  5. Voivod - Dimension Hatross (tough pick between Phobos)
  6. Opeth - Still Life
  7. Blut Aus Nord - 777 Cosmosophy
  8. Aghora - Formless
  9. Sadist - Hyaena
  10. Atheist - Elements

Favorite Prog Rock records
  1. Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (These guys could easily fill this rank with Pipper, Saucerful, More, Meddle and Division Bell)
  2. Tool - Lateralus
  3. King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King
  4. Opeth - Heritage
  5. Om - Advaitic Songs
  6. Cynic - Carbon Based Anatomy
  7. Scorpions - Lonesome Crow
  8. Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells
  9. Hawkwind - X In Search Of Space
  10. The Orb and David Gilmour - Metallic Spheres

Last edited:
Two lists in one post!

Although both lists have the "prog" label, the stuff I featured in Prog Metal is so different and Heavier (with the exception of Infinity) to the second list that I simply couldn't mix them.
Even the 2 bands featured in both... There's a large diference of sound style between Traced In Air and Carbon Based Anatomy and an abyssal one between Still Life and Heritage.

Van der Graaf Generator have announced their first UK tour in 7 years. Fantastic band that I really got into thanks to Bruce's recommendation of H to He Who Am The Only One and Pawn Hearts in response to an e-mail I sent him when he was doing his BBC 6 Music radio shows.

London Palladium here I come!

5d8a047ddf2a3.jpg

As a fan of side long songs (as they were called in the vinyl days), I have attempted to create a list of the ones I am aware of (the word intro tells how long it takes until the vocals start):

68 IAGDV – Iron Butterfly (intro :25)
69 Eight Miles High - Golden Earring (Intro :47)
70 Atom Heart Mother – Pink Floyd (Instrumental)
71 Echoes -PF (Intro 2:58)
71 Salisbury – Uriah Heep (intro 3:12)
72 Thick as a Brick, Part 1 – Jethro Tull (intro :10)
72 Thick as a Brick, Part 2 – Jethro Tull (intro :54)
72 Supper’s Ready – Genesis (intro :01)
72 Close to The Edge - Yes (intro 4:02)
73 Tales from Topographic Oceans -Yes (intro 1. 1:37(cd version); 2. :38; 3. 4:16; 4. 5:28)
73 Karn E9 – EL&P (intro :25)
74 Gates of Delirium – Yes (intro 2:11)
75 Shine on You Crazy Diamond – PF (intro 8:42)
75 Fountain of Lamneth – Rush (intro :22)
76 2112 – Rush (intro 4:25)
77 Dogs – PF (intro :37)
78 Hemispheres – Rush (intro 2:59)
81 As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls – Pat Metheny & Lyle Mays (instrumental)
88 Ivory Gate of Dreams – Fates Warning (intro 2:08)
92 Achilles, Agony and Ecstasy in Eight Parts – Manowar (intro 1:31)
95 Change of Seasons – Dream Theater (intro 4:15)
95 Dante’s Inferno – Iced Earth (intro :16)
96 That, That Is – Yes (intro 4:44)
97 Mind Drive – Yes (intro 3:59)

05 Fullness of Time – Redemption (intro 1:12)
08 Octavarium – Dream Theater (intro 5:33)
09 Count of Tuscany – Dream Theater (intro 4:24)
13 Illumination Theory – Dream Theater (intro 3:57)
13 From the Ages – Earthless (instrumental)
15 Empire of the Clouds – Iron Maiden (intro 2:06)
15 Greatest Show on Earth – Nightwish (intro 3:46)
15 Ash Memory – Wilderun (intro 2:03)

I almost included A Nightmare to Remember by Dream Theater but at 16 minutes long, thought it might be just shy of an lp side.

Let me know of any I missed!

As a fan of side long songs (as they were called in the vinyl days), I have attempted to create a list of the ones I am aware of (the word intro tells how long it takes until the vocals start):

68 IAGDV – Iron Butterfly (intro :25)
69 Eight Miles High - Golden Earring (Intro :47)
70 Atom Heart Mother – Pink Floyd (Instrumental)
71 Echoes -PF (Intro 2:58)
71 Salisbury – Uriah Heep (intro 3:12)
72 Thick as a Brick, Part 1 – Jethro Tull (intro :10)
72 Thick as a Brick, Part 2 – Jethro Tull (intro :54)
72 Supper’s Ready – Genesis (intro :01)
72 Close to The Edge - Yes (intro 4:02)
73 Tales from Topographic Oceans -Yes (intro 1. 1:37(cd version); 2. :38; 3. 4:16; 4. 5:28)
73 Karn E9 – EL&P (intro :25)
74 Gates of Delirium – Yes (intro 2:11)
75 Shine on You Crazy Diamond – PF (intro 8:42)
75 Fountain of Lamneth – Rush (intro :22)
76 2112 – Rush (intro 4:25)
77 Dogs – PF (intro :37)
78 Hemispheres – Rush (intro 2:59)
81 As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls – Pat Metheny & Lyle Mays (instrumental)
88 Ivory Gate of Dreams – Fates Warning (intro 2:08)
92 Achilles, Agony and Ecstasy in Eight Parts – Manowar (intro 1:31)
95 Change of Seasons – Dream Theater (intro 4:15)
95 Dante’s Inferno – Iced Earth (intro :16)
96 That, That Is – Yes (intro 4:44)
97 Mind Drive – Yes (intro 3:59)

05 Fullness of Time – Redemption (intro 1:12)
08 Octavarium – Dream Theater (intro 5:33)
09 Count of Tuscany – Dream Theater (intro 4:24)
13 Illumination Theory – Dream Theater (intro 3:57)
13 From the Ages – Earthless (instrumental)
15 Empire of the Clouds – Iron Maiden (intro 2:06)
15 Greatest Show on Earth – Nightwish (intro 3:46)
15 Ash Memory – Wilderun (intro 2:03)

I almost included A Nightmare to Remember by Dream Theater but at 16 minutes long, thought it might be just shy of an lp side.

Let me know of any I missed!

You got most of the ones on my list. A few others from 1970's prog bands:

"Lizard" by King Crimson
"Nine Feet Underground" by Caravan
"Tarkus" by ELP
"The Fountain of Lamneth" by Rush
"Hamburger Concerto" by Focus
"Eruption" by Focus
"Supper's Ready" by Genesis

The album "Third" by The Soft Machine is similar to Yes's "Tales From Topographic Oceans" - a 75 minute album with four songs of roughly equal length.

You have Jethro Tull's "Thick as a Brick" (two twenty-minute songs) but they have another album like that - "A Passion Play".

So I knew this guy, Mike Mills, from Ayreon live shows and last 3 albums, and I've heard of his main band - Toehider - but never checked them/him out. He performs every instrument on this album, but I think it wasn't always the case. Sounds very cool. Lyrics and artwork make it seem like a joke band, but music is actually very cool. Kinda reminds me of Devin Townsend a bit. What do you think, @Mosh?

I wasn't too convinced at first, but once the song got going it was pretty cool. Very interesting and unique sound. I get the Devin comparison for sure, although this seems more technical slightly. Saved the album for later.

What a fucking song. It's like if Tool played metal and had good vocals, and songs that aren't all buildup, no payoff.

Back