LEGACY OF THE BEAST 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bruce struggling with Icarus quite a bit...

But, as we learnt on TBOS tour we need 3-5 shows to pass to judge Bruce's real vocal form.
Yeah, he might need a few shows to get going. Altough last year he had a flying start. First night in Helsinki was sensational, Aces High, Where Eagles Dare and Run to the Hills was like hearing Bruce from 2008.

15,000 in Atlanta last night. American market came out strong. Show could be my all time favorite it's so good.
Good sales. The slowest dates are some of the places they played in 2017. Markets they haven't visited since 2012 or earlier have sold more tickets than last time. Casual goers probably doesn't have the same interest seeing Maiden twice in three years as hardcore fans.

Edit: Another thing is that they had Ghost in 2017 as support. That surely helped, as I doubt The Raven Age are able to sell a single ticket on their own as support.

Edit: Another thing is that they had Ghost in 2017 as support. That surely helped, as I doubt The Raven Age are able to sell a single ticket on their own as support.
This was a huge thing and something I talked about with almost everybody at the show. The lack of a quality decent name metal opener. They have done this so many times. Starting in 87 having Ace Frehley not show in Daytona (go figure) and getting a local band instead.

This was a huge thing and something I talked about with almost everybody at the show. The lack of a quality decent name metal opener. They have done this so many times. Starting in 87 having Ace Frehley not show in Daytona (go figure) and getting a local band instead.

That is disappointing. I was hoping they'd bring along someone like Sabaton, who are only now starting to get established in the U.S. Opening for Maiden would have really helped them quite a bit.

This is the first time I've seen Maiden when they didn't have an relatively established act with them.

1992: Testament
1996: Fear Factory
2000: Halford & Queensryche
2003: Dio & Motorhead
2005: Saw them on Ozzfest. This was the Indianapolis gig where Maiden headlined, getting to play about 80 minutes or so.
2010: Dream Theater
2012: Alice Cooper

That is disappointing. I was hoping they'd bring along someone like Sabaton, who are only now starting to get established in the U.S. Opening for Maiden would have really helped them quite a bit.

This is the first time I've seen Maiden when they didn't have an relatively established act with them.

2005: Saw them on Ozzfest. This was the Indianapolis gig where Maiden headlined, getting to play about 80 minutes or so.

Dio & Motorhead were the best openers Maiden's had. I wish I could've seen that tour.

Didn't Black Sabbath headline Ozzfest 2005? Was Ozzy sick in some dates?

That's a good selection of support bands. I've seen them with the following

2006: Trivium & Lauren Harris
2011: Airbourne
2013: Voodoo Six (but missed most of them)
2016: Ghost & The Raven Age
2017: Shinedown
2018: Killswitch Engage
2019: The Raven Age (in a couple of weeks)

My favourite of all these bands was Killswitch Engage, but they were a strange choice as I don't think there's a significant overlap in the fanbases. They had at least earned the right to be there, which we can't say for The Raven Age and Voodoo Six. The best overall line-up I'm aware of for an Iron Maiden concert (not a festival) must be with Sabaton and Gojira supporting in Madrid last year. I wish I could've been there. The choice of support bands for their UK shows in particular often baffles me. It's either one of their kids or a generic sub-arena Rock band who aren't bad but not great either. They could so do much better.

Last edited:
Also I pay no mind to Bruce's voice cracking or anything like that. The live performance of the band overcomes and speaks for itself. However I still can't get over Gers terrible solo in Hallowed. Give that back to Adrian where belongs.

RE Support bands..

Yeah, I agree, most support bands I have seen with Maiden have not been to my taste. I saw them with Marilyn Manson in 2005 which is probably the biggest support act I've seen but I was about 8 years past givin a fuck about Manson and everything just sounded the same to me. Decent stage show, to be fair.
Dio and Motorhead is probably the best support I am aware of, what a day out that would have been. Gojira and Sabaton is also pretty class.
I prefer to enjoy the bar before Maiden gigs and I have little interest in the support but if it was of the quality of the 2 line ups I just mentioned I would definitely go in early.
The best band I have seen go on before Maiden was definitely Pendulum at Sonisphere festival in 2010 or 2011. They certainly got me buzzing. The benefit of having a dancy band on was that I was able to walk right to the front at the side of the crowd and cut in. I ended up fairly central about 5 rows back from the barrier without having to push like a dick. During the break between bands I got hit in the face with an open bottle of piss. Definitely a highlight of the day.

Also I pay no mind to Bruce's voice cracking or anything like that. The live performance of the band overcomes and speaks for itself. However I still can't get over Gers terrible solo in Hallowed. Give that back to Adrian where belongs.
I have heard this mentioned quite a few times but I have never really noticed. I want to check it out, when was the last tour Adrian did the solo? Revelations also gets mentioned in terms of Adrian vs Janick, can someone point me to the 2 different versions of that?

The best band I have seen go on before Maiden was definitely Pendulum at Sonisphere festival in 2010 or 2011. They certainly got me buzzing. The benefit of having a dancy band on was that I was able to walk right to the front at the side of the crowd and cut in. I ended up fairly central about 5 rows back from the barrier without having to push like a dick. During the break between bands I got hit in the face with an open bottle of piss. Definitely a highlight of the day.
I was at that Sonisphere too, but was unimpressed that Pendulum were on the bill at all. They were quite good fun but they had no place subheadlining a Rock festival. I'm glad you enjoyed getting a piss bottle in the face though.

The choice of support bands for their UK shows in particular often baffles me. It's either one of their kids or a generic sub-arena Rock band who aren't bad but not great either.

I suppose it's because the UK isn't a market where Maiden needs a push (by having another popular band open for them) and because the management foresees a market in the UK in the future for the shitty sub-arena bands and the bands linked to Maiden....

I actually didn’t mind Janick’s Hallowed solo last night, but to each his own.

I have heard this mentioned quite a few times but I have never really noticed. I want to check it out, when was the last tour Adrian did the solo? Revelations also gets mentioned in terms of Adrian vs Janick, can someone point me to the 2 different versions of that?
1988, Seventh Tour of a Seventh Tour. Technically Adrian's played it exactly twice since then; both times Janick was unable to do so. Janick's been playing the Hallowed solo for far longer than Adrian has at this point and Adrian could've took it back in 1999 anyway. He didn't, and judging by how he kept changing it through the 80s, seemingly unhappy with it, I'm just going to say it: the second solo in Hallowed Be Thy Name belongs to Janick now. People whining about it 20 years into the reunion lineup really need to get over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back