Favorite Band by Country (UK and USA not included)

Smak (Serbian Cyrillic: Смак; trans. The end time) is a Serbian and former Yugoslav rock band from Kragujevac. The group reached the peak of popularity in the 1970s when it was one of the most notable acts of the former Yugoslav rock scene. The band's leader, guitarist Radomir Mihailović, nicknamed Točak ("The Wheel"), is considered one of the most influential guitarists on the former Yugoslav rock scene.

The musicianship.

Wow... this is really nice prog with some touches of folk here and there (y)

Just out of curiosity, why leave out the US and the UK? Many of us aren't from either of those countries and would consider that international. Also, Germany, Sweden and Finland each have as many mainstream metal bands as the US and the UK, so if you're going for diversity, you might as well leave those out. This isn't meant to criticise, just to add a thought. I'll come up with a list some time later.

Probably because those countries are where the most significant numbers of successful rock bands are from.

But that's no longer true, is it? Especially in the metal genres. As I said, Germany, Sweden and Finland pretty much take the cake there.

But that's no longer true, is it? Especially in the metal genres. As I said, Germany, Sweden and Finland pretty much take the cake there.

I can only think of Rammstein and Scorpions as global bands with a popularity comparable to that of the big British/North American hard rock/metal bands.

If we are talking about bands at a different level, then yes. Ghost and Nightwish are examples of bands that are quite successful without being from the UK or North America.

I can only think of Rammstein and Scorpions as global bands with a popularity comparable to that of the big British/North American hard rock/metal bands.

In case we really want this discussion: Which big British/North American hard rock/metal bands are we talking about? Where's the cut-off? Megadeth? Iced Earth?

In case we really want this discussion: Which big British/North American hard rock/metal bands are we talking about? Where's the cut-off? Megadeth? Iced Earth?

Those two would definitely be below Rammstein in terms of popularity!

Those two would definitely be below Rammstein in terms of popularity!

Yeah, but that's not really answering my question.

In any case, I just wanted to know from @karljant why he chose these criteria, because he didn't explain them, and they made no sense to me personally. I'm much more exposed to bands from the countries I mentioned, so I wondered what was behind this.

Yeah, but that's not really answering my question.

The cut-off would be above the level of those two. :p

Joking aside, I still stand by my original message though. The most significant numbers of successful (and by this I mean being very popular worldwide) rock bands are from North America or the UK.

Should we go back to the original topic? :D

Before I posted that answer I dwelled quite a bit into their discography. Really liked Unspoken. Listening to 1987 - live to get an overview. Great slow heavy riffs and excellent vocals. Thanx for the tip :okok:

Unspoken is a pretty good album. I really like this instrumental song:

Back