Megadeth

I quite like Countdown To Extinction, but dang, that album literally sounds like Metallica with Dave Mustaine on vocals.

...it does not. They are certainly making an attempt to be more radio friendly and focus on catchy hooks, but those riffs and drumming are so much more complicated than Metallica. Honestly, the vocal melodies are even more melodic than Metallica’s, they’re just, ya know, sung by Dave.

Yeah, the technicality there is a step above The Black Album, but I'm talking about the sound - the drums, guitars, bass - it sounds as if they took their stuff and said, "Let's make it sound like a Metallica record."

I quite like Countdown To Extinction, but dang, that album literally sounds like Metallica with Dave Mustaine on vocals.
excuse.jpg

Yeah, the technicality there is a step above The Black Album, but I'm talking about the sound - the drums, guitars, bass - it sounds as if they took their stuff and said, "Let's make it sound like a Metallica record."

I don't hear it.

CtE and Black Album are both awesome but I can't hear those similarities. Both are the same genre but they really don't sound the same to me.

Sorry, @Diesel 11. I'm with the majority on this one..CtE might be more commercial but it's still laden with the traditional Megadeth sound, whereas The Black Album begins intentionally severing Metallica's connection to thrash.

:(

I’m going to check out the remaster today and see if there’s a sound difference.

I’ve never listened to the Megadeth discog in sequence but Rust In Peace is an album I’ve long been familiar with. Hearing it after the first three albums only increases my appreciation for it. Huge step up in writing and musicianship. Friedman makes a huge difference too.

:(

I’m going to check out the remaster today and see if there’s a sound difference.
Of which album? The RIP remix has better bass presence, but Dave rerecorded vocals on at least “Take No Prisoners” and “Five Magics”, and they sound pretty bad, IMO. It’s a shame, because I would probably prefer the RIP remix otherwise.

Out of interest: how many phases of remastering (just once?) did Megadave carry out & when? I think I have original CD releases of everything from the 80's. I'm assuming if there isn't a bonus track on a CD it isn't a remaster, would this be correct?

BFD0497E-5233-4F93-9B33-0C6778DF2DDE.jpeg

Well how do you fuckin do. I’ll give you three guesses as to what’s cookin for the MegaBOIS.

Out of interest: how many phases of remastering (just once?) did Megadave carry out & when? I think I have original CD releases of everything from the 80's. I'm assuming if there isn't a bonus track on a CD it isn't a remaster, would this be correct?
Dave remixed a bunch of the albums, and I believe they all say “Remixed and Remastered” in the clear part of the spine on the front of the disc. No bonus disc that I’m aware of, though some have alternate content.

KIMB got a third “final cut” as well, which I’m not familiar with.

Back