Megadeth

Is that underrated though? Most people seem to consider it the best Megadeth song of the 21st century, or at least one of them.
Yeah, it's probably not really that underrated, it just happens to be my favorite song by them. Victory, FFF, Vortex and How the Story Ends are my picks for the most underrated Megadeth song. But there are just so many.

Sleepwalker, Never Dead, and Recipe For Hate... Warhorse are all pretty underrated.

Is that underrated though? Most people seem to consider it the best Megadeth song of the 21st century, or at least one of them.
Who are these “most people” that you and @KidInTheDark666 keep referencing when supporting the fact that you like certain songs or albums...? You cite some pretty odd choices and then claim that they’re supposedly the voice of the majority... :huh:

Who are these “most people” that you and @KidInTheDark666 keep referencing when supporting the fact that you like certain songs or albums...? You cite some pretty odd choices and then claim that they’re supposedly the voice of the majority... :huh:
These are not odd choices. I personally mostly refer to album reviews and discussions with fans.

And I don't want to sound like I only defend songs that I personally like. For example 'Prince of Darkness' is often considered to be (one of) the best song on Risk and I don't like the song at all. It's not like I need to defend myself if I like something. I just like to bring up lesser-known facts or my experiences.

These facts are just shit you've read online though, right?
It's a more reliable way to learn about other's opinions than going outside and asking people if they like Megadeth. Of course, if you assume that everyone is just talking shit online, then it's a different thing.

2. Hangar 18 - If "Holy Wars..." wasn't good enough for you, surely "Hangar 18" is. Lots of people have said it already, but I'll say it again - this is pretty much the greatest example of what makes dual guitar so good ever put down on an album. I mean, seriously. Dave and Marty combined their talents to create a ripping song that wastes no time whatsoever in getting started. The opener is heavy, mean, and has a ton of menace backing it at the same time. But the verse riff is where the dual guitar really shines through. A single guitarist trying to attempt something of this caliber would never manage to do this. Sure, multi-tracking the stuff would work, but playing it live? Out of the question. And yet Megadeth have performed this song live almost as well as they have in studio. Which is another thing I love about this band - much of their live performances absolutely nail the songs down. I love the verses here too. Aliens and metal combined will never not be cool IMO. Dave even throws in some surprisingly great lines in ("The military intelligence / two words combined that can't make sense!"). I don't always agree with what the dude is saying, but there's a certain art to his crafting of lyrics that often strike the listener with some "wow" moments. There's all sorts of soloing between the two verses, but then the band just say "fuck it" and head into the final section, which is basically just Dave and Marty trying to one-up each other with solo after fucking solo. There's also some really heavy parts intertwined between them, and the whole thing leads up to an absolutely spectacular finish. This is beyond question my favorite Megadeth song, and my choice for the best song in thrash metal overall. It's got everything I want from the genre and then some - heaviness, aggression, pacing, soloing, sheer technicality and musicality, etc. The list goes on. At one point this was actually my favorite song out there. That's changed, obviously, but fuck if it isn't just as good as the day I first heard it. This one hits 10 and keeps shooting up. It's beyond fantastic. 11/10
You know, 'Hangar 18' is the one big classic Megadeth song I don't like that much. I certainly don't think it's bad but I find that it gets lost in a brilliant album among other gargantuan songs like 'Holy Wars', 'Tornado of Souls' and 'Five Magics'. Maybe if 'Hangar 18' was on another album I'd enjoy it more.

That’s fair, but I’ve loved “Hangar 18” since the first time I heard it. Still manages to keep up the greatness all these years later.

In November 2015 I saw Megadeth at Wembley Arena. It was the day after the shootings at the Eagles of Death Metal concert at Batlacan and at other locations in Paris. Kiko Louriero played 'La Marseillaise' before the final song, which was 'Holy Wars'. Never has that song been so meaningful and it wasn't even put there because of the events of the previous night. It had been the final song of the set for the whole tour and was quite some experience that night.

I quite like Countdown To Extinction, but dang, that album literally sounds like Metallica with Dave Mustaine on vocals.

Back