Dream Theater

Images & Words has the best drum sound ever IMO.
I don't know, sounds a bit 80s to me.
I'm finding it very hard to focus on Dream Theater. I like the music, but it doesn't speak very much to me. Maybe I'll find some of the same things you guys do in repeated listening.
I know what you mean. I couldn't focus while listening to Awake at first and consequently couldn't remember the songs at all but it has become one of DT's Big Four for me alongside Six Degrees, Metropolis II and Black Clouds. The last has a lot of sentimental value for me as it was the first DT album I became familiar with, and I think they reach a divine level on some moments of it, but overall it's weaker than the other three.
Dream Theater 10/10
If you're giving the self-titled album 10 points, you won't have any room to rank their older albums.

Just in time.

33d0e65780da1e6d381c09a44eee9df3.png

Just in time.

33d0e65780da1e6d381c09a44eee9df3.png

Saw the tweet this morning so I decided to listen to it: Heap of noise. Doubt I will return to it soon.

This being said, I'm just starting to get into Dream Theater. I've tried a couple of times, but didn't manage.

In my case, it takes an album to get me into the band. People often point you to their "classic" album or some greatest hits, but it just doesn't work for me. Bands that have more colorful discography I usually started to listen by their lesser know albums (example: Meddle by Pink Floyd, Fly by Night by Rush.)
With Dream Theater it was Metropolis Pt. 2 (which on the contrary is one of their best). Now, funny thing, just a couple weeks before I've discovered Metropolis Pt. 2 I've listened to their Greatest Hit... and 21 Pretty Cool Songs and wondered later which Metropolis songs were on it: Through Her Eyes and Spirit Carries On - two weakest songs on the album. But wait! If you think that's a bit blasphemic, wait a bit until later. I also have a few thoughts about new album.

So, I've heard first three singles from the upcoming album Distance Over Time. Although Untethered Angel has one of the cringiest choruses, this song really started to grow on me. Maybe it's opening an album and if, on longer distance, I started to like album general, I just can't skip or dislike on opener. I have a feeling it's going to be same with this one. Same thing with Paralyzed, it just keeps flowing, nothing spectacular but also nothing you would frown upon and skip it.

Now, Fall Into The Light has what I like (so far) about Dream Theater. When they just split a song and add an slower, easier part that (on the first listen) is completely unrelated to previous one. Break around 3:15 and acoustic melody has been stuck in my head for several weeks now. Nothing ground-breaking, but ear-worms like that is what makes me start to like certain band a bit better.

I don't understand such love for Barstool Warrior and hate for Room 137.

S2N is really cool, and from what I've heard/read on this and other boards it's Myung masterpiece. Which is really a shame because I've expected there are at least a dozen bass based songs in their back catalog (if anybody can point me to something similar it would be appreciated). I also don't understand hate for the Viper King, since it's a bonus track and sounds like a Purple tribute. I don't get what wrong with having an extra song from original material. It's for starters a way better than having an uninspiring cover.

Some parts of At Wit's End and Pale Blue Dot seem like they have a lot to offer. Due to their structure, it's the only two songs I haven't fully grasped (since the album came out 2 weeks ago I've been listening to it from start to finish, without skipping or repeating certain songs.).

And then there's Out Of Reach... A lot of you are probably going to disagree with me but ballads like Out of Reach, Spirit Carries On, Wither and so on (there are probably more that I'm unaware of) are no different than any other pop/rock ballad slugs that got constant rotation on Top 40 on radio. That is probably one of the reasons why it took me so long to get into this band since a lot of doorways point to those same ballads. Not that anything is wrong with that type of music, but it kind paints a different picture.

Now, with this out of the way, can anybody suggest me where to go from Metropolis Pt. 2 I would be thankful.

Now, with this out of the way, can anybody suggest me where to go from Metropolis Pt. 2 I would be thankful.
If you haven't yet heard Images and Words, it is absolutely essential. Otherwise I'd suggest Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, and, my personal favorite, Train of Thought. I'm also a big fan of A Dramatic Turn of Events.

Just do yourself a favor and hold off on The Astonishing until very last. Or better yet, never. :p

Spambot - I think it was Mosh many years ago who recommended me Awake and Six Degrees after listening to Scenes, and I will now pass this recommendation onto you.

Please elaborate!
It just felt like every time I went on a song's individual thread plenty of the first few posts were slating it, or at least started with "Contrary to popular opinion, I like it..." or words to that effect. Someone called Lines in the Sand Petrucci's last good guitar solo. That kind of thing. Honestly this is probably an overreaction as I'm bored enough with the "Nothing good since '85" mob that Maiden seem to have. Even though I've been disappointed by some of what DT have done in the last 10 years I've still been able to see the good parts.

And who the hell dislikes BC&SL anyway?

I've seen Dream Theater seven times now.:eek:
Lucky. At the end of the year I’ll have seen Maiden 9 times but zero DT shows. They don’t ever come anywhere close to me, and whenever they tour it’s like around the same time as Maiden. Last time they came within 6 hours of me was in Seattle during the Astonishing Tour. Which I was glad to skip. I feel really annoyed about missing out on the last two tours.

They played my town once, like back in 2003 coheadlining with Queensryche. I would’ve been more than happy to drive to Seattle for the last two tours lol.

Me. The first two songs are good but the rest is dull.

It just felt like every time I went on a song's individual thread plenty of the first few posts were slating it
I see that here too. There's also a few members who take great joy in pointing out where each members make mistakes and how much worse the performance was than earlier in the tour. It's like these people want the band to fail so they can say "I told you so". They know who they are.

Dream Theater is my top #1 band that I haven't seen live.
Same here. Still hoping though.
We'll I hope you guys get to see them soon. I reckon they will be back in Europe for a proper arena/theatre tour so maybe they'll visit Tallinn.

I wouldn't necessarily say that I'm lucky to have seen Dream Theater so many times. A lot of it is persistence on my part since 2007 when I first saw them at Download Festival (with Iron Maiden headlining the same day!). I've only missed them twice since. Once was on the tour for the self-titled album when they didn't play in Scotland and I couldn't afford to go to England, and then I didn't bother with either of their London shows for the entirety of 'The Astonishing'. There's been some festivals that I wasn't at too but I can't go to everything. Perhaps I'm lucky that I live in a small country which is fairly densely populated and where Dream Theater have a good following.

Someone called Lines in the Sand Petrucci's last good guitar solo.

Instrumentally, the band peaked with Ytse Jam. It’s all downhill from there!

I think it’s a solid album, with the bookends being the strongest portions. No weak tracks, a solid mix, and great riffs. My only complaints are the typical Portnoy tuf guy vocals that he started on Six Degrees. That stuff always dragged the band down to my ears.

BC&SL is a weaker album. I'm not the biggest fan of 'A Nightmare to Remember', and the other two tracks. The last three songs are very good though.

Wouldn't say dislike, but I think it's a very underwhelming record. Far, far too long and plodding.

Could've been their best record in the post-ToT period if the ideas were executed in a better way. The 5:45 single version of A Rite of Passage is far better than the 8:40 studio version, for example, because it gets rid of all the fluff.

Back