FUNNY / RANDOM / WEIRD Pictures...

Not too different here btw, although we're of course the good guys by default.
There's a story still giving me cringes 20+ years later: my mother used to teach at Bilkent University for 15 years or so starting 1997, so I'm visiting her in 1998 I think; there's this girl, a student of hers, lovely, incredible person, we're talking about all kind of things, she observes that we Bulgarians and Turks seem to have quite a few words in common, and I automatically blurt without even thinking, well what do you expect after 500 years of Turkish yoke. I'll never forget the way her smile just went away, and she was so embarrassed and confused what the hell I'm talking about. Fucking idiot.
What I mean is, it's good to know history, it should not be forgotten or easily allowed to be falsified, but it's just bloody wrong to rub it in the face of totally innocent people.

Most Turks are simply unaware of the Ottoman's policies in the Balkans. It's not that they condone it, it's that they genuinely don't know the history. School books barely cover it, and most don't go into reading more about it.

The janissaries consisting of Balkan young males forcibly taken away, the women of the harem being Balkan young females forcibly taken away, the forced conversions into Islam and jizya are barely mentioned in the curriculum or not mentioned at all.

Germany funded its side of the First World War by taking out vast loans, on the basis that they would win and make the Triple Entente pay for everything. Because they lost, the combination of vast debt, political instability, and the depression plunged Germany into a deep recession. The Reichstag's solution was to simply print more money, which (in concert with the prevailing economic climate) created a situation of uncontrolled hyperinflation

I think Perun's point is:

Last edited:
Not sure what the joke is here.
Germany funded its side of the First World War by taking out vast loans, on the basis that they would win and make the Triple Entente pay for everything. Because they lost, the combination of vast debt, political instability, and the depression plunged Germany into a deep recession. The Reichstag's solution was to simply print more money, which (in concert with the prevailing economic climate) created a situation of uncontrolled hyperinflation
sign0111.gif

Thank you, I am aware of the history behind it. I don't understand what's supposed to be funny in the picture you posted. Like, what's the punchline or the point where you are supposed to laugh.

I also don't understand where the joke is supposed to be here.

I mean, I realise I don't have the most sophisticated sense of humour in the world, but I generally like to think that even if a joke doesn't make me laugh, I would get the mechanism that's supposed to create the humour. With the picture @Wogmidget posted and now @phantomoftheicarus , I just see some infantile randomness. I'm very familiar with the history of the First World War and Weimar Germany, I know a lot of funny pictures and memes involving it, but I don't get what's supposed to be funny in that picture. It's not that I'm offended or saying something like, "I can't laugh about this", I genuinely don't see what the mechanism of the humour is that is supposedly being employed here.

Back