Out of the Shadows

How good is Out of the Shadows on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

("Mega solo" throughout the song: Dave Murray)

Hold a halo 'round the world, golden is the day
      Princes of the universe your burden is the way
      So there is no better time who will be born today
      A gypsy child at daybreak
      A King for a day

Out of the shadows and into the sun
            Dreams of the past as the old ways are done
            Oh there is beauty and surely there is pain
            But we must endure it to live again

Dusty dreams in fading daylight
      Flicker on the walls
      Nothing new your life's adrift, what purpose to it all?
      Eyes are closed and death is calling
      Reaching out its hand
      Call upon the starlight to surround you

(2:32 – Solo: Adrian Smith)

A man who casts no shadow has no soul

Discuss...

Re: 'Out Of The Shadows'

This song was something of a surprise to me. Not that they haven't made ballady songs before (Journeyman and Dream of mirrors come to mind), but this is a very strong power ballad and it brings tears to my eyes sometimes. The lyrics are great, and the last line: "A man who casts no shadow has no soul"... scary stuff ^_^

It's a great song with some really great riffs and I love it :yey:

Hmmm, to be honest this is the one song that does near nothing for me!  It's just too heard it all before on Bruce's solo work.  Which I might add I love and A Matter of Life and Death kicks sweet arse fer shre, love it but not this one song!

(2:32 – Solo: Adrian Smith)    :D

WardyS3 said:
It's just too heard it all before on Bruce's solo work.

I agree with you to the point where this song reminds me a LOT of Tears of the Dragon, but I think its absoloutely awesome!
A very deep sounding Bruce and kick ass guitaring all through the song (though the opening kinda doesn't work for me) This is one of my fav tracks . .

Well thats not really true coz everything on AMOLAD except for Different World is one of my fav tracks, so . .

Good solid song with great vocals IMO . .

On a side note, I found myself finding the chorus a perfect summary of what this album is for me!

Birth..

This song does sound a lot like Dickinson's solo work but it reminds me in no way of Tears of the Dragon.  When I listen to it I just get ACCIDENT OF BIRTH printed all over my brain.  It really reminds me of songs like Arc of Space, Omega and Man of Sorrows.  Musically-wise at least.  The chorus sounds to me like in Arc of Space; "In my heart I reach you, in my heart I reach out to you..." I may be alone who thinks this but what the hey, definately a strong Dickinson influence on this song, I'm sure we can all agree on that.

To me, this is definately on the top 3 songs of the album, For the Greater Good of God, The Longest Day and Out of the Shadows are all songs whom I will never skip when listening to my ipod, fantastic.  (Not that I skip Maiden tunes a lot, sometimes I'm in the mood for a song which I enjoy more than others, these three would be way up there with Alexander the Great, The Nomad, The Thin Line and Montsegur, songs that I'm always in the mood to hear.)

Jolly good show Maiden!  Keep 'em comin'!

Cheers, Hans

The birth. 
Yes. But what birth ? Our natural birth ? Knowing the way that Bruce writes his lyrics I would answer : No! ….Or more precisely : Not only
Exactly as in “these colours don’t run” here we have a lyric that can be read with two ways : the straight and the hidden one…

The key of “these colours don’t run” is its title, but one can “unlock” the lyric only if he knows the Ozzfest incident

Here, the key is self-governed, thus of bigger quality : The key of the lyric is the very last phrase ‘A man who casts no shadow has no soul’

I make a parenthesis here to say how I loved that song’s outro, we have a non-repetitive phrase, plus this phrase is the key

I explain my thoughts by the method of indirect proof
A man who casts no shadow has no soul…….why this phrase just in the end ? If the shadow was the princess’s womb, why would this phrase be necessary ?
So Bruce, here tries to define the term ‘shadows’
A man who casts no shadow has no soul : The death in Life is the shadow, the Life in Death, this mysterious woman –vision of Coleridge, is the princess.

The birth that interests Bruce is not our physical one, but a spiritual birth (that follows a spiritual death /shadow)
Midway upon the journey of our life
  I found myself within a forest dark,
  For the straightforward pathway had been lost.

What situation describes Bruce? He speaks for these men that cast a shadow, a death. He speaks for men like Dante who entered same inferno and finally got out, in the midway of their life

Below are some other –in my opinion- keys

Dusty dreams in fading daylight
Nothing new your life's adrift, what purpose to it all?
Eyes are closed and death is calling
Call upon the starlight to surround you

Yet another post deleted and reinstated by our resident poster of pointless trivia. ;)

____no5 said:
The birth. 
Yes. But what birth ? Our natural birth ? Knowing the way that Bruce writes his lyrics I would answer : No! ….Or more precisely : Not only
Exactly as in “these colours don’t run” here we have a lyric that can be read with two ways : the straight and the hidden one… "

I assumed that it was a song about death and the hope of an afterlife. Or maybe how life begins and how it ends.

"Oh there is beauty and surely there is pain, but we must endure it to live again." Alot of people believe that we are sent things to try us (I don't, I think we stumble over things by accident and things just happen because they just happen and I don't believe in an afterlife, I don't even believe we have a soul) and we have to pass the test to live in the afterlife - to live again. "Call upon the starlight to surround you." This brings up the image in my mind of the last breath of life as the "soul" departs from the body, the entry into the light - salvation in heaven or similar.

It brings tears to my eyes, like watching the last spark of life go out of someone cherished. It's a beautiful song.

The theme of this song reminds me a lot of the book "Children of the Morning Star". This is an awesome book and if you like this song it is worth reading it. I actually read this book using "Out of the Shadows", as a background music.

it took me a while to get into this song but when i did give  it a few listens i really liked it.it does sound a bit like tears of the dragon,i love the ending...a man who cast no shadow has no soul

This song would be so much better if it weren't for that intro and if it was shorter.I always thought it's the weakest song in the album and the weakest ballad Maiden have ever done.

Murder89 said:
This song would be so much better if it weren't for that intro and if it was shorter.I always thought it's the weakest song in the album and the weakest ballad Maiden have ever done.

The intro (and its length) is one of my favorite parts. Couldn't disagree more.

It kind of bugs me when people say stuff like "I've heard it all before on his solo albums" or whatever because this is Maiden, not his solo backing band, totally different thing.

Daily Song: Out of the Shadows

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Out of the Shadows

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

I don't find anything too memorable about this song. It's not a bad song, I never skip it, but I never go out of my way to listen to it. It's nice. 7/10.

Re: Daily Song: Out of the Shadows

Not the most interesting song, apart from the fact that it is a Dickinson/Harris composition, which is rare.
I really love the guitar solos (main solo by H and "in between" solos by Dave).

Very atmospheric and good choice for a live gig.

High 7

Re: Daily Song: Out of the Shadows

Fantastic ballad with a good chorus and performance by Bruce. IMO it's Coming Home's older brother song, although Coming Home is a better song. 9/10.

Back