What if Adrian had joined Def Leppard?

(Thread diversion....)

I think the punk influence on early Maiden is overstated. If you listen to punk of that era, most of it is mid-paced and (deliberately) sloppy. Most of it is poorly-performed pub rock, with a lot of the better bands showing ska and reggae influences. To quote Foro's and Mosh's examples, Running Free is much tighter and more intricate than any punk, it's main influence sounds like Radar Love by Golden Earring. Prowler has a punk rhythm and pace but could also have come from Judas Priest/Sabbath. The verse bit of Phantom is waaay too fast and tight to be punkish. NWOBHM and punk shared a DIY attitude, and both were aggressive, but they came from completely different musical roots.

True what 2Mins said. Many of the early 70s punk rock groups in the UK drew inspiration from beat music, glam and ska/reggae. Yes, there was some fast punk bands but "hardcore punk" was very late 70s and in the 80s....With bands like Discharge, The Exploited etc. with most of their seminal albums coming out in the 80s...

I think the most "punk" thing about early Maiden was Di'Anno honestly. His voice, attitude and stage presence.

(Thread diversion....)

I think the punk influence on early Maiden is overstated. If you listen to punk of that era, most of it is mid-paced and (deliberately) sloppy. Most of it is poorly-performed pub rock, with a lot of the better bands showing ska and reggae influences. To quote Foro's and Mosh's examples, Running Free is much tighter and more intricate than any punk, it's main influence sounds like Radar Love by Golden Earring. Prowler has a punk rhythm and pace but could also have come from Judas Priest/Sabbath. The verse bit of Phantom is waaay too fast and tight to be punkish. NWOBHM and punk shared a DIY attitude, and both were aggressive, but they came from completely different musical roots.
There are punk bands who played tight. But tight or not tight, that's not a good enough argument. A metal band can always be inspired by punk (even unconsciously) and then play it in their own (tight) manner. It's especially the type of riffs that are punkish to me. It's the way these riffs are constructed. Before punk (rock) happened, these type of riffs did not exist.

Last edited:
Bruce Dickinson: NWOBHM was a fiction, really, an invention of Geoff Barton and Sounds. It was a cunning ruse to boost circulation. Having said that, it did represent a lot of bands that were utterly ignored by the mainstream media. Because of that it became real and people got behind it.

The vast majority of musical movements are only regarded as such because influential writers were able to group together artists connected by circumstances - often a time, place, or style, more so than the music itself.

Very few artists set out to label themselves as standard-bearers for any particular movement.

There are punk bands who played tight. But tight or not tight, that's not a good enough argument. A metal band can always be inspired by punk (even unconsciously) and then play it in their own (tight) manner. It's especially the type of riffs that are punkish to me. It's the way these riffs are constructed. Before punk (rock) happened, these type of riffs did not exist.

Oh I beg to differ. There was nothing musically innovative about punk, it drew musical elements from rock'n'roll and 60's rock albeit in a very, very bad rendition.
The riffs you are talking about were done by bands like The Who.

The riffs you are talking about were done by bands like The Who.

And the Kinks! A bit later on, the Stooges and MC5 were the real start of punk, but I don't see any influence from them (or any punk) to Maiden.

The term "punk" (as a reference to music) was coined by writer Lester Bangs to describe the band he called the start of it all: The Count Five. He then went on to apply it to the Stooges, MC5 and Ramones as (in his opinion) followers of the 60s garage rock bands like Count Five and The Troggs.

just wanted to point out as I've someone said a few pages back that Dio was a solo effort not a band... that's not true at all, Dio started as a band and in time turned into a Ronnie James Dio thing...

my two cents addition to this thread. and yes IM as a sum is bigger than its individual parts...

Just to throw an idea out there....

In 991/92, Def Leppard were looking for a replacement for their deceased Steve Clarke.
And at that time, Adrian was out of a job, so to speak - having left Maiden the year before and seen his ASAP band break up.

Leppard were arguable the biggest band in the world at the start of the 90s, coming off two blockbuster albums and were no doubt making the kind of melodic rock music that Adrain was being drawn to at the time.

Now, I suspect Adrain was too big of a name to fit into Leppard, I suspect their remaining guitarist Phil Collen wanted a more subordinate co-guitarist (the job went to Vivian Campbell who is terribly undervalued as a guitarist in the band).

But what if Adrain had joined? Def Leppard continued to major league success through to the mid 90s - 'Adrenalize' in 1992 was a worldwide number 1 album including the USA where it hit number 1 for 5 weeks. In 1993, 'Two Steps Behind', a previously released b-side was flipped to become an a-side and became the band's biggest selling single worldwide. And in 1995 their greatest hits album was a major global hit.

But since 96, the band have been in terminal decline and are now doing package tours of the USA every summer - sometimes going on last, but most recently going on before Kiss. There hasn't been a new album since 2008!

But would their career have been more sustained if Adrian had joined - would more Maiden fans have started to follow Leppard? And if Leppard's decline had happened anyway, would Adrian have come over to Maiden for the reunion or stuck with Leppard. And what would the Maiden reunion (ei jsut Bruce coming back) have been without Adrian in terms of excitement/fan interest?

God forbid! Def Leppard, those "we never loved metal" sellouts? Things happen for a reason, and I'm glad Adrian is part of IM.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlsSG0Mhlsb

HkV6Tkb.jpg

I always thought the chorus to Different World sounds like a Lep song, complete with the cheesy backing vocal.

Silver & Gold is pretty much a Lep wannabe album.

Somehow Hysteria always gets played on the PA at Maiden gigs. Or at least ‘Rocket’.

What he was thinking.. god only knows, at least he saw the light again. Too much & mullet & bleach in your hair in the 80s must scramble ones brain.

Sorry Adrian, love you really.

KRD Keto Slim: - Today, the world has a tendency to acknowledge for the brilliant work instead of the diligent work.Despite the fact that, if the diligent work out and endeavors don't give you expected outcome then this faster equation will offer you the coveted outcomes in 90 days.KRD Keto Slim is incredibly valuable and capable on the grounds that this supplement has the affinity to blend the generation of ketones at your body which normally uses the fat substance of your body to change over it into required vitality and obliterate the fat naturally.
http://newfitnesssupplements.com/krd-keto-slim/
You're an idiot. Goodbye.

Yesterday I visited a Walmart (Florida) & Def Leppard t-shirts were selling for 'bout $8. No bullshit.

Think that kinda sums it up: DL was much more mainstream than IM... and much more lame, too.

And a fuck load o' power ballads too. Would've appealed to Adrian's softer side, as is apparant in both Urchin and A.S.a.P.

Back