Legacy of the Beast Tour 2018 - CONTAINS SPOILERS

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. If you count Maiden’s playing as 3/4, then they’re clapping 3/2.
You can even see Maiden’s riff as 6/8, then they’re indeed clapping in 3/4.
Check out hemiolas, they’re fun: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemiola

Well. You can count any way really, but they're still clapping as if they were playing a 4/4. Audience is clapping a 4/4 beat. If you put the riff in a 4/4 notation with quarter notes and eight notes - they clap on 1 and 3 of each bar. Like @matic22 were saying, it shifts the accent each time and you get a 6-bar riff instead of a more regular 8 bars.

Which one is worse? Killswitch Engage or The Raven Age?
I have to survive both at Nova Rock :facepalm: It will be my first time with Killswitch, but i've already seen Raven Age 3 times (they were supporting Anthrax too, when they were here last year), and now i will see them 2 more times...

I have to survive both at Nova Rock :facepalm: It will be my first time with Killswitch, but i've already seen Raven Age 3 times (they were supporting Anthrax too, when they were here last year), and now i will see them 2 more times...

Enjoyed both bands. Seen Raven Age twice, opening for Maiden and for British Lion.

Killswitch. By far. Probably the worst opening band I saw with Maiden. Lauren Harris was excellent compared to them.

So glad that in Zagreb, Tremonti is opening.

Lauren Harris, I think, was a fresh opener. Bold move, considering her musical style, but I think it worked very well.

I mean, by that logic Killswitch Engage is a bold choice. People are there to see Maiden and, for the most part, are going to dislike the opening bands no matter who it is. Bands want opening acts that are cheap and don't steal their thunder. They don't care if the fans like it because they know nobody is there to see the opening bands anyway.

I mean, by that logic Killswitch Engage is a bold choice. People are there to see Maiden and, for the most part, are going to dislike the opening bands no matter who it is. Bands want opening acts that are cheap and don't steal their thunder. They don't care if the fans like it because they know nobody is there to see the opening bands anyway.

.....Ghost!!!!

Ghost is one of the big exceptions. See also Dream Theater and Alice Cooper (only talking North America here since that's what I know).

Reactions: Gk1
Here in Greece we will have The Raven Age, Tremonti and Volbeat before Maiden, along with a couple other bands; really looking forward to it!

Not a huge fan of Killswitch, but I have to admit that playing Holy Diver as the last song of their set has been a very good move.

In Tallinn, the crowd seemed to like them quite a lot, not so much in the later shows. :D Then again, the Tallinn crowd was on fire for the whole night. There was even a moshpit - you don't (fortunately!) see that too often in Maiden gigs, especially in Europe.

Rather than them being bad, the problem is often with the supporting bands being of limited interest to Maiden fans. Sometimes they get bands that are relevant to their their style of music, but they also have a record of incompatible acts (at a guess it's so Maiden clearly come across as dish of the day).

I think this happens a lot with various headlining bands on tour, especially if there are three bands playing. You often get an opening band which has a style bearing some resemblance to the headliner but comes across as underwhelming. Then a second band which will be bigger and maybe have some of its own fans present, but is very different to the headliner. It all gives the headliner more impact.
Eg: Katatonia - Lacuna Coil - Paradise Lost (by chance I wanted to see Katatonia as much as I wanted to see PL)
Amorphis - Arch Enemy - Nightwish (pure luck here as I wanted to see all three bands)

I wish the formula wasn't so laboured in some cases. You're paying to see the headliner mostly, but you don't want to be actively bored or treated to a glorified pub band as part of the £70 package. It's not surprising people don't bother to come in until just before the main act.

Though you do get those rare cases where the two bands playing are at essentially equal levels of popularity. For instance, I recently saw Sabaton and Amon Amarth in Sydney, and (set length excluded) it was for all intents and purposes a double-headline gig. Great stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back