Higher, lower or equal?

• Higher

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • Lower

Votes: 34 56.7%
  • Equal

Votes: 6 10.0%

• Total voters
Funny given that most of their studio versions beat the live ones. Besides, Empire of the Clouds, regardless of being not a live song, has the single best chemistry of any song ever recorded. Everyone is doing their part and it works insanely. Live sound is an afterthought.

Oh I beg to differ since I have a rather large library of their bootlegs. For each and every song that works live there are better live versions than the one on the record. Especially when we dwelve into crap production albums (see my post above)

I listened to a live recording of it and it was utter shite, marred by heaviness and, would you know? the good production. Say what you want about the way VXI was produced - no, it's not great, but I wouldn't want to listen to the album any other way.

Oh I beg to differ since I have a rather large library of their bootlegs. For each and every song that works live there are better live versions than the one on the record. Especially when we dwelve into crap production albums (see my post above)
I beg to differ because most of the live releases, including bootlegs, are boring compared to the actual studio releases. Not all, but most.

The only song I've ever heard that's equal to the one of the record is The Red and the Black, and even then it's mainly because the guitars are better and feel fresher. Bruce does not.

The only song I've ever heard that's equal to the one of the record is The Red and the Black, and even then it's mainly because the guitars are better and feel fresher. Bruce does not.
I think Maiden do have a number of songs that are vastly improved live ("Powerslave" and "Hallowed...", for example, sound too shy on their studio versions, but their live counterparts, namely Live After Death ones truly do them justice), but yeah, for most of them, I prefer the originals.

I listened to a live recording of it and it was utter shite, marred by heaviness and, would you know? the good production. Say what you want about the way VXI was produced - no, it's not great, but I wouldn't want to listen to the album any other way.
I totally get what you're saying. Some Maiden albums (Virtual XI, since we're on this topic, plus The X Factor) do suffer a bit from some nasty production values, and surely could've been made better, but the productions as they are fit the tones on their respective albums considerably well.

Exactly, that's your opinion. But frankly, every single one of your arguments sounded as if you were saying contrary opinions were wrong and illogical.

Opinion that Maiden sounds better in studio than live is unpopular, minority opinion.
I'm stopping here, have a nice day.

Opinion that Maiden sounds better in studio than live is unpopular, minority opinion.
I'm stopping here, have a nice day.

Not looking to start the entire discussion over again, but I just want to clarify that I personally find Maiden equally good live and in the studio, but for different reasons. Some songs definitely come more together live, where the chemistry, energy and audience participation is unbeatable. Other times I find myself digging a particular tune's studio version, because it's more polished and "clear", in lack of a better word, whereas it can be hard to distinguish the different parts in live versions, depending on the mix.

So preferring one over the other depending on the song, mood or whatever isn't contradictory in my opinion. Whether I'm a minority here or not doesn't matter, it's all subjective :)

Back