Nicko's drum kits over the years

I believe he ditched the secondary 20" ride around 1993 when he switched to Premier- I'll have to check some FOTD tour footage to confirm that though.

He definitely didn't have it on the FOTD tour going by Donington '92. It wasn't included in the FOTD videos either.

Amazing drum kit!

Attachments

• iron-maiden-santiago-show-11-3-16-49568.jpg
    iron-maiden-santiago-show-11-3-16-49568.jpg
    731.5 KB · Views: 33
  • iron-maiden-tulsa-26-2-16-45531.jpg
    iron-maiden-tulsa-26-2-16-45531.jpg
    634.9 KB · Views: 30
  • nicko - tbos tour.jpg
    nicko - tbos tour.jpg
    352.5 KB · Views: 5
  • tbos drum kit.jpg
    tbos drum kit.jpg
    974.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
It's just been confirmed to me by a Ludwig drums artist that they are bringing back the old Silver Dot heads! They'll be made by Remo thought, who Nicko has endorsed since around 1992.

The Ludwig Silver Dot is a fantastic head and Nicko used them on all the Maiden records through NPFTD. I wonder if he'll start using them again?!

Alright, here's a (nearly) exhaustive list of Nicko's Maiden kits, sorted by which albums/tours they were used on:
Nearly right except for 1988 to 1992. 6x8 and square toms except for floor which was 18x19 deep. These are always the Sonor sizes from 1983 to 1992.

check out my 1990 Replica which Nicko helped me build on

https://m.facebook.com/AGTSP16/?tsid=0.552049997029826&source=result

Also this white Sonor Signature is supposed to be coming to drum one Manchester Nicko's drum shop so come and see for yourself

Nearly right except for 1988 to 1992. 6x8 and square toms except for floor which was 18x19 deep. These are always the Sonor sizes from 1983 to 1992.

check out my 1990 Replica which Nicko helped me build on

https://m.facebook.com/AGTSP16/?tsid=0.552049997029826&source=result

Also this white Sonor Signature is supposed to be coming to drum one Manchester Nicko's drum shop so come and see for yourself

I love your kit! I've seen those photos on that page before. Absolutely gorgeous!

And good catch! I missed the 6x8" tom. But as far as I've heard, did have two white Sonor Signature kits, the second of which was the non-"Lite" version with square-sized toms- this is the one used on No Prayer and Fear of the Dark tours. The first one for the Seventh Son tour in 1988 was the "Lite" version which had the slightly shallower toms, he talks about it in an issue of the fanclub magazine (although mispeakes and says it was the Somewhere In Time kit). The second kit is probably the one he'll be bringing to Drum One. I'll be in London in August, so I will certainly try and make the trip!!

2016-03-26 16.08.36.png He may have had two white sig kits I always thought so. But if you watch the maiden England and his Rhythm of the beast video he says the kit was used on the seventh son tour. You can see from the spacing in between the lugs that the toms are square. Failing that I have a Sonor promotion post card with the seventh son kit on it and it tells you the sizes but when you look at the pics of this seventh son kit you can tell square toms are very deep. He says it is a signature lite kit but as an endorsee he could ask for square sizes. Compare it to mine and you will see the spacing between lugs is the same.

2013-11-25 18.22.09.png

Last edited:
I dunno, they look pretty much the same to me... I'm still not convinced. I've seen plenty of "official" spec sheets on his gear that get the sizes wrong all the time (I believe it was the Real Live/Dead One booklet that left off the 10" tom entirely, for example).

There's also the matter of the tom mounts. On Signature 14x14" mounted toms, the bottom of the mount is well above the top of the badge, and the vent hole is almost dead-center in the height of the badge.

Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 8.50.48 PM.jpg

But on Nicko's kit (seen here around the recording of No Prayer), you can clearly see the bottom edge of the tom mount on the 14" tom intersects the top badge, and the vent hole is at the bottom:

nickonpftd.jpg

nickonpftd.jpg

Maybe they are indeed custom sizes, like 13x14", 14x15" etc. - but I really don't think they're full-on square.

Screenshot_2018-03-14-00-06-51.png s-l300.jpg I think you might be on to something. Compare Nicko's tom with mine. I m measured the lug and the gap between badge mine is bigger. Also on the 13x13 signature tom the tom mount and air vent are in the right place. So on this findings I would say his 14 tom is 13 deep . Well done I Have never noticed this before.

Here is a 14x12 the normal lite size. You can see that the bracket is below the badge and the vent is really low. So Nicko has to have had a 14x13s-l400.jpg

That bubinga Lite 12x14 pic all but confirms it ^ it's gotta be a 13x14" on Nicko's kit! Makes sense, being one of their top endorsers I'm sure he could have had whatever he'd wanted!

The second issue of Sonor's World Beat magazine in 1992 mentions Nicko will be touring with a new White Sparkle Signature kit that year - so we know he definitely got a new kit for the Fear of the Dark Tour - http://www.sonormuseum.com/articles/worldbeatmags/july92/worldbeat1-2.html

I'll do some digging thru my collected pics and see if i can nail down exactly which kit was used on No Prayer for the Road. It's entirely possible it was a third white Signature kit altogether!

It's strange because his seventh son kit is supposed to be white diamond. But on all the pics it looks flat white. So does the fear of the dark kit. It's a shame that it sounds like cardboard. The seventh son and the no prayer tour sound better. I read that the Fear of the dark was recorded on the xpk kit that he has in flight of Icarus and he wanted to try to recreate that sound live. Even the 6 and 8 on that kit sound terrible. By the way the snare he is on about he already used on the no prayer tour. I actually played it when he got it out with his somewhere in time kit on the 1991 clinic tour. He let me play a solo on the kit.

12341452_1020666944621857_7028453113447043466_n.jpg Here is his snare from seventh son kit. You can see the silver specs. Never can see it on the rest of the kit though

2018-03-14 10.17.30.jpg 2018-03-14 10.12.32.png 2018-03-14 10.07.47.png These pics show that his No prayer kit were the heavy beech shells on the 10 onwards like mine and the 6 and 8 have a thinner shell. The second pic you can see the bubinga inside also like mine. The Fear of the dark kit had no bubinga inside

Back