Which songs by Maiden you considered as a classics ?

When you post on a public forum, you should expect all sorts of reactions. What you say online and how you say it is what other people see as "you." Posting way too many emoticons gives people a certain impression, the same way leaving your home without pants on does. Basically, you are free to post whatever you want, and we are free to react to it in any way we want.

We all noticed the number of emoticons has gone down significantly, which is great. Unfortunately, first impressions tend to stick. ;)

Are you trying to be more smart with this comment ! Instead of this bullshits, talk about the title of this thread !
And again, what is your problem with me posting emoticons or the problem is with me ? You better just don't think that emoticons has diminished because of you and I'll post them whenever I want girl ! And what is the impression of a person who post, like you say ''too many'' emoticons ? - I'm curious to know !

Kalata, in all seriousness (with no mocking intended), one use of emoticons is to help to distinguish text that could otherwise be misunderstood as sarcastic, for example. Their perceived overuse could possibly lessen their effect.

So for example, Ariana placed a smiley/wink emoticon on her post to let you know she was not being nasty and was just trying to be helpful. You still responded quite aggressively though.

The same could be said for the use of "!", which could come across as intending to be angry or excited. Since you now use less emoticons and have replaced them with exclamation marks (!) in your posts I am never sure if you are "shouting" at people or just excited in your posts.

It is totally up to you how you post and type however. Sometimes less is more. :)

Since you now use less emoticons and have replaced them with exclamation marks (!) in your posts I am never sure if you are "shouting" at people or just excited in your posts.

shouting, wow ! - that is so wrong, man. All I want to know is what is the problem with me using emoticons or some of the people here just mock me, because I'm not the one that opens this discussion for the emoticons. Other people also post emoticons, but I don't mock them or whatever !

Thanks for not replying in a nasty way :)

Ironically, if you placed a smiley on your post to Ariana, I would have assumed you were just excited and not "shouting" at her.

Dude, you can't win! ;)

Your posts are really appreciated in general and you are clearly enthusiastic for Maiden. People on here just sometimes like to have a joke (sometimes at others expense) but it is all in good fun.

Back on topic, classics for me would probably be the live staples (which by playing them so frequently has probably helped them to become classics)

So, The Trooper, FOTD, TNOTB etc

Back on topic, classics for me would probably be the live staples (which by playing them so frequently has probably helped them to become classics)

So, The Trooper, FOTD, TNOTB etc

And what you think about DWYBO - great song but less played, it would have been a classic :)

Then again, I would call Icarus a true classic, even though it has been underplayed, so I really don't know what makes a classic.

I'm not quite sure what makes a song "classic" to me, basically they just sound like it, but these are more or less what I consider to be Maiden's classics:

"Prowler", "Remember Tomorrow", "Running Free", "Phantom of the Opera", "Transylvania", "Charlotte the Harlot", "Iron Maiden", "Sanctuary", "The Ides of March", "Wrathchild", "Murders In the Rue Morgue", "Genghis Khan", "Killers", "Invaders", "Children of the Damned", "The Prisoner", "22 Acacia Avenue", "The Number of the Beast", "Run to the Hills", "Hallowed Be Thy Name", "Where Eagles Dare", "Revelations", "Flight of Icarus", "Die With Your Boots On", "The Trooper", "Still Life", "Aces High", "2 Minutes To Midnight", "Losfer Words (Big 'Orra)", "Flash of the Blade", "The Duellists", "Back In the Village", "Powerslave", "Rime of the Ancient Mariner", "Caught Somewhere In Time", "Wasted Years", "Sea of Madness", "Heaven Can Wait", "Stranger In a Strange Land", "Alexander the Great", "Moonchild", "Infinite Dreams", "Can I Play With Madness", "The Evil That Men Do", "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son", "The Clairvoyant", "Tailgunner", "Holy Smoke", "No Prayer For the Dying", "Bring Your Daughter...To the Slaughter", "Be Quick Or Be Dead", "From Here To Eternity", "Afraid To Shoot Strangers", "Judas Be My Guide", "Fear of the Dark", "Sign of the Cross", "Lord of the Flies", "Man On the Edge", "The Edge of Darkness", "Futureal" and "The Clansman".

Then on to the modern classics:

"The Wicker Man", "Ghost of the Navigator", "Brave New World", "Blood Brothers", "The Mercenary", "Dream of Mirrors", "The Fallen Angel", "Wildest Dreams", "Rainmaker", "No More Lies", "Dance of Death", "Paschendale", "Face In the Sand", "Journeyman", "Different World", "These Colours Don't Run", "Brighter Than a Thousand Suns", "The Pilgrim", "The Longest Day", "Out of the Shadows", "The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg", "For the Greater Good of God", "Lord of Light", "The Legacy", "Satellite 15...The Final Frontier", "El Dorado", "Mother of Mercy", "Coming Home", "The Alchemist", "Isle of Avalon", "Starblind", "The Talisman", "When the Wild Wind Blows", "If Eternity Should Fail", "Speed of Light", "The Great Unknown", "The Red and the Black", "The Book of Souls", "Death or Glory", "Shadows of the Valley", "Tears of a Clown" and finally "Empire of the Clouds".

Last edited:
All of them.
I still agree with myself here, but I'll take this seriously and pull out the "classics".

Iron Maiden
  1. Phantom of the Opera
  2. Iron Maiden
Killers
  1. The Ides of March / Wrathchild
  2. Murders In The Rue Morgue
  3. Killers
The Number of the Beast
  1. Children of the Damned*
  2. 22 Acacia Avenue*
  3. The Number of the Beast
  4. Run To The Hills
  5. Hallowed Be Thy Name
Piece of Mind
  1. Where Eagles Dare
  2. Revelations*
  3. Flight of Icarus
  4. Die With Your Boots On*
  5. The Trooper
Powerslave
  1. Aces High
  2. 2 Minutes To Midnight
  3. Powerslave
  4. Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Somewhere In Time
  1. Caught Somewhere In Time*
  2. Wasted Years
  3. Stranger In A Strange Land
  4. Alexander the Great
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
  1. Moonchild*
  2. Infinite Dreams*
  3. Can I Play With Madness
  4. The Evil That Men Do
  5. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
No Prayer For The Dying
  1. Holy Smoke*
  2. Bring Your Daughter... To The Slaughter
Fear of the Dark
  1. Afraid to Shoot Strangers*
  2. Fear of the Dark
The X Factor

Virtual XI

1. The Clansman
Brave New World
  1. The Wicker Man
  2. Blood Brothers
Dance of Death
  1. Paschendale
A Matter of Life and Death

The Final Frontier

The Book of Souls

*Ones I could've left off.

For me, the classic song of Maiden is when a song has the essential parts of a Maiden sound - to be very melodic and with a great chorus !

A classic by what sense? From my understanding of the word there would be significantly fewer than you've listed, and pretty much nothing recent. I'd go with:

1) Iron Maiden
2) Sanctuary
3) Running Free

(Phantom of the Opera is a song the band clearly love but I'm not sure it is *that* well known amongst more casual listeners)

5) Wrathchild

6) The Number Of The Beast
7) Run To The Hills
8) Hallowed Be Thy Name

9) The Trooper

(Revelations is played live a fair bit and Flight of Icarus broke them in America so I'll give honourable mentions)

10) Aces High
11) 2 Minutes to Midnight

(ROTAM and Powerslave deserve honourable mentions but just because they're revered here doesn't mean they're classics to a general audience)

12) Wasted Years

13) The Evil That Men Do

14) Bring Your Daughter... ...To The Slaughter (I don't care if the band doesn't play it and people here have other preferences, this is one of the more well known Maiden songs as their only #1)

15) Fear of the Dark

16) The Wicker Man

(Maybe Blood Brothers?)

It's a very conservative list but I really don't want to overstate what's a classic and what isn't. Alexander The Great isn't a classic Maiden song, it's effectively a meme amongst their more hardcore fans.

Wayne, we've been through this recently. Give it a rest now, please.

Back