Which songs by Maiden you considered as a classics ?

Kalata

Out of the Silent Planet
Usually, the classics for Maiden are the songs from the 80's , but they have a lot of modern classics !
I'll list the classics from each album:

IM [1980]:
- Prowler
- Sanctuary (I always wondered why this song wasn't included on the first album instead of Strange World or Charlotte the Harlot - then, it would have been even more strong album)
- Running Free
- Phantom of the Opera
- Iron Maiden
* If I had to pick one of the 4 instrumentals for a classic one, for sure, will be Transylvania !

Killers [1981]:
- Wrathchild
- maybe Murders in the Rue Morgue
- Killers
- not 100%, but I'll say, Drifter
* Even to this day, it annoys me that Maiden decided to include 2 instrumentals to this album - to make him longer o_O The Ides of Match is a nice intro to the Wrathchild, but they never played it live on tape before it ! And instead of Genghis Khan, which has a great melody, they should have added Twilight Zone - like Sanctuary from the 1st album - why to release bonus songs from the albums - include them on the albums !!!

TNOTB [1982]:
- Children of the Damned
- The Prisoner
- 22 Acacia Avenue
- The Number of the Beast
- Run to the Hills
- Hallowed Be Thy Name
* And again, why they don't have included Total Eclipse to the album - At least, they have been played all these bonus songs live !

POM [1983]:
- Revelations
- Flight of Icarus
- I want to say DWYBO, but that song is not perfromed enough times live, to be a classic !
- The Trooper
- also, songs that are close to be classic, for me are: Still Life and To Tame A Land !

Powerslave [1984]:
- Aces High
- 2 Minutes To Midnight
- Powerslave
- Rime of the Ancient Mariner
* the other songs would have been have a chance, but they are never played live - without the instrumental which is a sad decision to add instrumental with vocalist like Bruce ! The Duellists has that classic Maiden sound/vibe to become a classic ! But these 4 songs are tremendous !

SIT [1986]:
- Caught Somewhere In Time - that's definitely a classic !
- Wasted Years
- Heaven Can Wait
- Stranger In A Strange Land
- Alexander the Great - the great epic !

SSOASS [1988]:
- Can I Play With Madness
- The Evil That Men Do
- Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
- The Clairvoyant
* and maybe Moonchild

NPFTD [1990]:
- Tailgunner
- Holy Smoke
- No Prayer For The Dying
- Bring Your Daughter... To The Slaughter
- and perhaps, Mother Russia !

FOTD [1992]:
- Be Quick Or Be Dead
- From Here To Eternity
- Afraid To Shoot Strangers
- Wasting Love
- I really want to think that people consider Judas Be My Guide as a classic !
- Fear of the Dark
* Childhood's End would have a chance to become classic song if Maiden released it as a single or played it live for once - love the melody on this one !

TXF [1995]:
* from the Blaze albums I do not think that has a classic songs , but I'll try to list some:
- Sign of the Cross
- maybe Lord of the Flies and Man on the Edge

VXI [1998]:
- Futureal
- The Clansman
- and perhaps When Two Worlds Collide

BNW [2000]:
- The Wicker Man
- Ghost of the Navigator
- Brave New World
- Blood Brothers
* maybe + The Mercenary, Dream of Mirrors and Out of the Silent Planet

DOD [2003]:
- Rainmaker
- No More Lies - that's a classic for eternal times !
- Dance of Death
- Paschendale - modern classic, but maybe I should say a classic epic!
* I always like Wildest Dreams a lot, great melody, chorus and solo - great rock song done in a Maiden style, like Futureal !

I think the classic songs are 'till 2003, but I'll list some songs from the rest of the albums ! From that on, the songs are very long and they are more like epics - that's why is hard for me to pick a classic, but it has some !

AMOLAD [2006]:
- Different World - I always think that this song has a essential Maiden sound/vibe !
- These Colours Don't Run - essential melody and chorus for Maiden !
- Brighter Than A Thousand Suns
- The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg
* FTGGOG is an epic but has a chance to be considered as a classic ! The whole albums is a masterpiece and I can also add: The Pilgrim and The Longest Day !

TFF [2010]:
- Coming Home
- Isle of Avalon - really epic song like To Tame A Land, similar bass line !
- The Talisman
- When The Wild Wind Blows
* other songs that are worth mentioning are: The Alchemist and Starblind ! El Dorado for me is a very unusual song for Maiden ! the title song is weak and that intro destroys it and it is a pretty simple song to be a title song. CSIT is the example how to do an epic title song !

TBOS [2015]:
- Speed Of Light
- The Red and the Black
- The Book Of Souls
- Death Or Glory (great trilogy along with AH and Tailgunner :p)
* IESF originally was a Bruce solo song, but it has a Maiden vibe ! EOTC with the piano has a 0% chance to be a classic, and it is very long ! TOAC and TMOS are unusual songs for Maiden, while TGU and SOTV both have a part of that Maiden sound/vibe/feel that is unique for them ! WTRRD - very slow chorus but riff is like a ''modern essential'' Maiden vibe/sound :)

That's my list of classic Maiden songs ! Hope you like it guys ;)

Last edited:
Die With Your Boots on was played at times on the tours for Powerslave and Seventh Son as well as being virtually constant for No Prayer, Give Me ‘Ed and Early Days. It is the 26th most played song, discounting solos, meaning it is above CIPWM? and Icarus.

Longest Kalata post, least amount of emoticons?

I think there's a very good question - what is a classic Iron Maiden song? Can a classic be on an album that just came out less than 3 years ago? Can a song like Prowler be a classic?

I think the most recent “classic” Maiden song is Blood Brothers.

I think the most recent “classic” Maiden song is Blood Brothers.

I'd go as far and say that the whole opening bunch (the first four songs) of Brave New World album could be considered as modern Maiden classics. Paschendale is definitely another strong candidate, it's appreciated a lot by casual fans as well. And it's getting 15 years old already. :D

The band seems to consider BNW as a classic album; Adrian actually stated that as early as in 2008. They might be a bit biased to say that though, since it's the first with current lineup and they sure do have a lot of precious memories from that period. But then again, it IS a very special album. And damn strong one too, although not quite as consistent as their best ones from the 80's or AMOLAD.

Not necessarily my favourite tracks but I reckon the tracks that would be well known and well liked enough to be considered "classics" are pretty much the songs Maiden play live and/or where released as singles. Everything else can be considered a deep cut.

Give or take, some of the tracks they've played live can be considered deep cuts, and some of the singles have been poor.

I tend to think of "classics" in terms of what got them on the map initially...which would basically be anything off of the LAD setlist.

Though I've also uses that term to reference anything off of the first seven records.

I tend to think of "classics" in terms of what got them on the map initially...which would basically be anything off of the LAD setlist.

Though I've also uses that term to reference anything off of the first seven records.
This + "Fear of the Dark"

Longest Kalata post, least amount of emoticons?

I think there's a very good question - what is a classic Iron Maiden song? Can a classic be on an album that just came out less than 3 years ago? Can a song like Prowler be a classic?

What is your problem with the emoticons ! :mad: I don't understand !

Prowler is a classic Maiden song - It has all of the essential Maiden parts for a song - great chorus and it is very melodic !

Dude, I'm the one who's been telling people not to complain so much, maybe pay attention to that. I was just pointing out that your post was less colourful than normal.

Dude, I'm the one who's been telling people not to complain so much, maybe pay attention to that. I was just pointing out that your post was less colourful than normal.

OK, but what is the problem to put emoticons on my comments ?

I'd go as far and say that the whole opening bunch (the first four songs) of Brave New World album could be considered as modern Maiden classics. Paschendale is definitely another strong candidate, it's appreciated a lot by casual fans as well. And it's getting 15 years old already. :D

The band seems to consider BNW as a classic album; Adrian actually stated that as early as in 2008. They might be a bit biased to say that though, since it's the first with current lineup and they sure do have a lot of precious memories from that period. But then again, it IS a very special album. And damn strong one too, although not quite as consistent as their best ones from the 80's or AMOLAD.

The whole Brave New World album is a classic for me !

When you post on a public forum, you should expect all sorts of reactions. What you say online and how you say it is what other people see as "you." Posting way too many emoticons gives people a certain impression, the same way leaving your home without pants on does. Basically, you are free to post whatever you want, and we are free to react to it in any way we want.

We all noticed the number of emoticons has gone down significantly, which is great. Unfortunately, first impressions tend to stick. ;)

Back