Most Underrated Maiden Song

Which Iron Maiden song do you think is most under looked?

• Still Life

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • another song

Votes: 29 67.4%

• Total voters
When I went to see them in concert in Houston 8 years ago with the Brave New World Tour....I was around 30 years old and most of the people there were a few years younger or a lot of year older.  When I went and saw them 2 years ago the place was jammed with young people.  I think that when kids come to like band like Iron Maiden they pick up with the newest album ....and really probably go online and just buy the one song they heard on the raido.  I think Napster, Itunes etc have killed the album in a way.....no one feels they have to buy it...they just buy the songs they like.  This is why I think Caught Somewhere in Time isn't a big hit on here....or anything prior to Matter of Life and Death.

My favorite underated song is Powerslave.

T'boo

The Mid-Distance Runner said:
Caught Somewhere In Time for the following reasons:

* perfect opener to an album that was a massive departure in style from Powerslave
* sets the futuristic feel for the album
* the sensational and long guitar solos, the beginning of Adrians being the greatest metal lick ever
* its the "almost" title track, which always ups the expectation in a Maiden song...and it delivers!
* it contains lyrics so amazing that Steve decided to re-use them 20 years later...."like a wolf in sheeps clothing"!

A travesty that this underrated Maiden classic has not been played live since 87. Thank the good god of metal I saw them on that tour. Ay-ee!!

I would agree with this.

One of my favorite hidden gems The Duallists.

Tboo Ted said:
My favorite underated song is Powerslave.

T'boo

I've seen people say this a lot. I still don't understand why this song is considered underrated. Most Maiden fans practically worship this song, don't they?

I guess, on that album, it's overlooked because of Aces High, Ancient Mariner.
Back in the Village may have Powerslave beaten on that album.
T'boo

Oooh I see. Well, then you'll be happy to know that on a certain Survivor poll, Powerslave finished third overall, only beaten by Mariner and Hallowed.

Moonchild33 said:
Oooh I see. Well, then you'll be happy to know that on a certain Survivor poll, Powerslave finished third overall, only beaten by Mariner and Hallowed.

Well, the people on this forum are hardly representative of all the world's Maiden fans, are we? (If we were, I'm convinced Run To The Hills, The Trooper and Fear of the Dark would've been in the top 10  :p)

It just seems to me that Powerslave never really gets its respect. 
Can I switch my vote to The Prophecy  ;)?
I like the change in how each line is sung.
Now, you definetly don't hear that song listed much or on live albums.
T'boo

Eddies Wingman said:
Well, the people on this forum are hardly representative of all the world's Maiden fans, are we? (If we were, I'm convinced Run To The Hills, The Trooper and Fear of the Dark would've been in the top 10  :p)

It was just an example. I've just heard many people outside of this web site say that it was their all-time favourite and it's a concert favourite.

Totally agree with The Prophecy. Beautiful guitar at the end as well.

Moonchild33 said:
Totally agree with The Prophecy. Beautiful guitar at the end as well.

Yup, that's one song that gets too little recognition. I'd also like to add Where Eagles Dare. When I see discussions about Maiden I don't hear it mentioned often, and it went out of the survivor game on here too fast as well. The drumming alone is enough to earn it a high status.

It's quite sad actually that Maiden has loads of criminally underrated songs, but the most underrated is definitely "The Apparition".

Dance of Death. Although acknowledged as a masterpiece among fans it hasn't been played live since 2011. In my opinion, one of the greatest tracks of all-time.

I really liked that song, very atmospheric. Then I've read a review of a song once on official IM forum where a girl said that middle part reminds her of dwarfes and goblins dancing kozachok around the fire. Since then I can't get that picture out of my head every time that part comes. It also didn't help when I saw it live in '10, first row Bruce jumpin right in front of me, singing "And I've danced, and I've pranced!" Oh Bruce, please don't prance...

Out of recent tracks: When the River Runs Deep. I can't believe that song gets so little mention.

Dance of Death. Although acknowledged as a masterpiece among fans it hasn't been played live since 2011. In my opinion, one of the greatest tracks of all-time.
To be fair, the only time they could of played it since 2011 was the last album tour as it wasn't relevant to ME tour. And it wasn't relevant tothe other 80s History tours either. I think its had a fair shake, 3 tours since its release, Blood Brothers being the only reunion song to have been played on more tours.
I be damn glad to have it on this next tour, though. Total classic for the ages.

To be fair, the only time they could of played it since 2011 was the last album tour as it wasn't relevant to ME tour. And it wasn't relevant tothe other 80s History tours either. I think its had a fair shake, 3 tours since its release, Blood Brothers being the only reunion song to have been played on more tours.
I be damn glad to have it on this next tour, though. Total classic for the ages.
The Wicker Man and Brave New World have been played more than Blood Brothers. Dance of Death comes after these three.

Back