New stage set?

gazda

Ancient Mariner
I really hope that we will see a new stage set this year. Maiden use the same stage concept from X-Factor tour, and I would like to see something new.

I really like their stages from 1984-1988. They were really epic and something different and new at that time. But in last 20 years, they just changes artwork and that is all.

Also I wolud like to see new background, maybe a video screen with some great clips. With Eddie, and great lyrics you can make really epic animated scenes that can be played on background video screen.

Helloween did sam great stuff on background screen for their Pumpkins United tour, Maiden with their obviously bigger budget and production can make a lot better than this.

Same stage set from the X Factor tour? Every stage set has looked quite different to me so I don't know what you're talking about.

He's talking about the basic stage setup, I reckon. I disagree a litte bit though, since During the X-Factour and VXI tours there were no ramps, but yes, the lines have been pretty much the same since then. Ed huntour was built around the 80's basis and even BNW had some minor differences when compared to more recent ones, but from 2003 onwards the basis has been the very same every time, with changing drapes and added props of course. I don't think they're gonna change that basic structure anymore, but adding props and bringing a few new tricks in wouldn't hurt. TBOS stage set was pretty cool and elaborate and those little stone things with pyro on the top of the ramps (and towers, of course) were definitely something that Maiden England stage arguably lacked. I hope they'll manage to keep the same level of inspiration for TLOTB tour with some rumoured new tech; something pretty awesome might turn out of it! There's always a risk when it comes to mixing different environments, periods and Eddies together, which seems to be their intention with the upcoming stage show, but I believe it turns out well. They've done something similar a couple of times, but it sounds like they're taking it to a whole new level this time, according to what Rod talked about interlocking worlds and all that. Then again, it wouldn't be the first time these announcements end up being more or less exaggerated. :D

Ed Huntour stage was a rushed mishmash of all kinds of stuff, as this Maiden Revelations article states, with something from World Slavery Tour, you got the floor from Piece of Mind tour and some recent Ed-Hunter/VXI style stuff going on etc... Give Me Ed was just "Eddie drapes all over the place" but at least there was something different going on with the lighting department. Eddie Rips Up the World Tour stage looks messy as hell, but I suppose that was the intention as well... Would have worked better with a bit more sophisticated approach. And then we have Maiden England stage, which kinda hits the same category: lots of past Eddies and stuff with the icy aesthetic of the 7th Son cover; there is so much more and arguably better things they could have done with the icy landscapes and the stage dressing than just expanding the frozen Eddies thing from the Seventh Son cover to cover the whole stage, but at least the execution is actually pretty good! Icy backdrops are also a nice touch too! Which means that, funny enough, Maiden England stage, pretty much like the whole tour, was a bit underwhelming yet still very well executed, not to even mention that the performances and show elements were absolutely amazing.

Long story short, yes, I would like to see them breaking the mold a little bit, and some new tricks are definitely to be expected too. There has been three history/best of tours with a messy, all over the place style stage sets... BUT they came up with rather adventurous setlists, so we'll see how this one turns out... :D

I'm thinking that in keeping up with the video game aspect of everything, the most realistic major innovation we'd get would be a video screen in the back. I'm not sure how much it would enhance the show, to be honest. I remember seeing video backdrops with Blind Guardian, Queen, Heaven and Hell and Helloween, and I always thought they were taking the attention away from what's happening on the stage, but didn't really add much of significance, especially when it's just an animation that gets looped all the time. Call me crazy, but the backdrops are one of my favourite aspects of a Maiden show. I always pay close attention to them, and I like seeing how they announce which song is being played, or adding some mystique without being distracting with animations.
Just about the only benefit I could see from this is if they did something similar to Helloween (cod, I still can't believe I'm saying something like this) and have some longer interludes inbetween songs so the band can catch a breath. I wouldn't know what they could play there without it becoming annoying, though.

I don't care what the stage is like because Maiden give such an amazing performance. They could be on a plain, nothing stage with no ramps, Eddies, pyro, etc. and they would still be just as much fun to watch because of all of their incredible energy. Look at how great bands who play clubs can be. All of that other stuff is just a nice bonus, but it sure isn't needed.

He’s talking about the copy n paste set. It’s cost effective but very unimaginative.

We will never see a set on the scale of the 80s tours again, sadly.

Most of the money goes on creating the new Eddie.

Back