Opeth

By Request, Part 1 - Orchid:

• Total voters
I've become addicted to Wreath and By The Pain I See In Others. Reoccuring parts that start at 1:46 in Wreath and 3:32 in By The Pain are incredible. On the whole I don't think these songs are their best, but those moments alone are Top 5.

I definitely agree that these two songs make the Top 5 on Deliverance.

Wreath is the best example of Opeth paint by numbers. If Mikael ever tried to write Death Metal again I could imagine it sounding like that. He said it would have to be all brutal too, which Wreath is.

BTPISIO doesn't work for the opposite reasons. They're trying something different but it just doesn't come together. Would still much rather listen to that than Wreath.

I really like By the Pain I See in Others. The "rise to submission" riff is sick, and the calm middle part is very nice.

Wreath, I'm not a big fan of. It's the only track on Deliverance that I don't care for.

Yesterday I read somewhere on FB

The last 3 Opeth albums > the first 3 Opeth albums.

(it was in a discussion under the meme on the last three albums, short version: "you like it = you're a pleb")

Agree or disagree?

Can't remember how I ranked them for the survivor but they're very close. Pale Comminion is easily the best of the six, but the rest are pretty close. Heritage and Sorceress probably show better songwriting but the first two albums have some fresh/exciting ideas.

(it was in a discussion under the meme on the last three albums, short version: "you like it = you're a pleb")

Agree or disagree?

I commented on that very meme :D.

I think Heritage is better than the first three albums, but not Pale Communion and Sorceress.

Man, Mostly Autumn!!! :eek: I am shocked and offended.

AFAIK, that was a response to NP. I didn't denounce the genre, I just knew he would hate it.

Last edited:
There are a lot of prog folk albums from the 70s that are way more interesting than Storm Corrosion imo.

Agree or disagree?

Without actually checking my rankings, I'm pretty sure my list would be:

PC > MAYH > Sorceress/Orchid > Morningrise > Heritage

I might go with that too. I'm still not sure where to place Sorceress. There are some really cool parts but it's the first Opeth album that I had no urge to go back to after the first few listens.

The Wilde Flowers, Era, Chrysalis, and Strange Brew are awesome. The rest is OK but nothing too spectacular.

Listening to Opeth for the first time. Went with Heritage. 8 songs in and I find it pretty tasty. They are playing my town in November so I'll probably hit that.

You listen to Opeth for the first time and you choose Heritage...and you like it?! God, you're in for a treat because it's their worst album!

Ha, I picked it based on the cover alone, no prior knowledge of the band. Then I checked a 'Best Opeth Album' list and saw Heritage was last. The top album was Blackwater Park so I tried it and was not totally sold. Although its possible that I was aurally saturated at that point.
Listened to Heritage again today and aye, its class. Songs like Folklore and Slither are cracking. Ill take you advice @Mosh and try Pale Communion next.
To put this in context, progginess and heaviness are not new to me but I certainly do not listen to anything like this kind of stuff with any regularity. After Heritage, the youtube directed me to Steve Wilsons latest one, To The Bone. This was also enjoyable.

Ha, I picked it based on the cover alone, no prior knowledge of the band. Then I checked a 'Best Opeth Album' list and saw Heritage was last. The top album was Blackwater Park so I tried it and was not totally sold. Although its possible that I was aurally saturated at that point.
Listened to Heritage again today and aye, its class. Songs like Folklore and Slither are cracking. Ill take you advice @Mosh and try Pale Communion next.
To put this in context, progginess and heaviness are not new to me but I certainly do not listen to anything like this kind of stuff with any regularity. After Heritage, the youtube directed me to Steve Wilsons latest one, To The Bone. This was also enjoyable.

Yeah, for a first time listener I'd say that more than one Opeth album in a day is too much to digest. I would definitely recommend Pale Communion next, but then I'd save Damnation for later. Jump to something like Ghost Reveries, otherwise you're going to get the opinion that all Opeth is softer and mellow, which could lead you to disliking all of their earlier (heavier) works.

Back