A question about the Rock In Rio DVD...

RueMorgue

Invader
Hi all,

Recently I bought a used copy of the Rock In Rio DVD. Upon opening the case, the first thing I noticed was that
it didn't contain a booklet. So my question is: should the Rock In Rio DVD contain said booklet?
Just want to have my facts straight before I get in touch with the seller. Thanks in advance.

My copy doesn't have one.

Thank you! I feel a bit better about it now :)

...but lo and behold, there's a sting in the tail. My new LG 3D Blu-Ray/DVD player will not play it, as it's a region code 2 (it would appear that here in Australia, I needed region code 4 or multi-region). A bit complacent on my part, as region codes have not been an issue for me previously :-(

Last edited:
I've held out buying this for years because it was often shown on bbc4.

I was actually going buy it a couple of months ago but it's bizarrely out of print, with inflated second hand prices..

I bought one on ebay and they sent me a clear cd case with two the discs in it. :facepalm:

I need to buy a new one...

Some bitches broke in to my house in 2004 or something and stole all the cds/dvds in the living room, Rio dvd, DOTR dvd and cds of both. The Rio dvd sleeve/case was cool but one of the upraised bits for holding the disc broke very quickly. Cool to look at but shoddy and not really user friendly, I thought.

The Rio DVD case used really cheap materials and is a pretty low quality package overall. It goes for so much online because it's probably hard to find one that isn't damaged in some way.

Aye, sounds about right. Its the cardboard one that I'm talkin about and assume you are too. Never handled the standard plastic version.

I remember when I first saw the RIR DVD (when it first came out) my father had borrowed the hologram cover version from someone and I remember thinking it was really cool. It's nearly impossible to get that one today and if, then only for ridiculous prices on the net, second-hand. I've decided to let it go and buy the "cheap" version (w/o booklet, BTW), but I still keep thinking about the original version.

P.S. I've just made a casual Google search and it would seem it disappeared from the face of the Earth altogether - I found only the CD with the hologram cover. But I'm quite positive it was the DVD.

Mine is still in ok shape, but yes it's a shitty package...

I remember when I first saw the RIR DVD (when it first came out) my father had borrowed the hologram cover version from someone and I remember thinking it was really cool. It's nearly impossible to get that one today and if, then only for ridiculous prices on the net, second-hand. I've decided to let it go and buy the "cheap" version (w/o booklet, BTW), but I still keep thinking about the original version.

P.S. I've just made a casual Google search and it would seem it disappeared from the face of the Earth altogether - I found only the CD with the hologram cover. But I'm quite positive it was the DVD.

Nah, the dvd never had a hologram cover. I was there day of release and I’ve got the hologram cover slip case that came with the first issue of the CD. The dvd was a cardboard affair that when you opened it, it was like a pop up book with a cardboard 3D representation of the stage and band that unfolded with a picture of the crowd on the inside of the dvd. When you laid it down on a table it was supposed to look like a 3D cardboard model of the band on stage with the crowd. It was kinda cool and mines still in good condition but these things are a bit of a novelty and very hard to keep in good condition over the years as the cardboard will naturally wear down. I hate digipack cds for the same reason and will only buy if theirs extra content worth having otherwise these days it’s itunes.

Nah, the dvd never had a hologram cover. I was there day of release and I’ve got the hologram cover slip case that came with the first issue of the CD. The dvd was a cardboard affair that when you opened it, it was like a pop up book with a cardboard 3D representation of the stage and band that unfolded with a picture of the crowd on the inside of the dvd. When you laid it down on a table it was supposed to look like a 3D cardboard model of the band on stage with the crowd. It was kinda cool and mines still in good condition but these things are a bit of a novelty and very hard to keep in good condition over the years as the cardboard will naturally wear down. I hate digipack cds for the same reason and will only buy if theirs extra content worth having otherwise these days it’s itunes.

I can confirm, I have the same DVD.

Back