Dream Theater

That was a given and I can't wait! Hopefully, they'll wait until I return from my honeymoon in early October to hit Chicago.
Gonna be close since they finish the Pacific leg (Korea, Australia, Singapore) October 3. Been four months since they said there will be a US tour and still no dates?! I am hoping for October dates because I will be out of town working first half of November.

Last edited:
I have said I am glad I traveled to see The Astonishing live in Denver since it turns out that when DT finally got around to TX I ended up out of town working. Well now I have another reason to be thankful I saw them in Denver (earlier in the tour) as opposed to TX (later in the tour). I knew that near the end of the tour they were finally bringing back some old material at the end of the show but what I did not realize until just now is that was at the expense of five songs from The Astonishing which were cut from the setlist to make room for the older material. BLASPHEMY! Either play the whole thing live or don't but then don't advertise it as "The Astonishing Live" if the whole thing is not going to be played.

That whole second leg was one of the biggest missteps in the band's career. Their most extensive US tour in years and they spent the whole set on a fairly divisive album. If I lived in one of those areas that DT hadn't visited since Octavarium I would've been really annoyed. Dropping songs at the end was just too little too late. Now you're not even getting the whole Astonishing, so what's the point of playing so much of it? That tour should've been the setlist they're doing now.

FINALLY!

DREAM THEATER BRING THEIR HIGHLY ANTICIPATED “IMAGES, WORDS & BEYOND 25TH ANNIVERSARY TOUR” TO NORTH AMERICA, KICKING OFF OCTOBER 25 AT OAKLAND’S FOX THEATRE

NEW YORK, NY - Dream Theater has announced the third and final leg of their “Images, Words & Beyond 25th Anniversary Tour,” which sees the pioneering group celebrating the 25th anniversary of their milestone RIAA gold-certified album, Images & Words. The North American headline dates kick off September October 25th at Oakland’s Fox Theatre. The trek takes the band throughout the US, including dates at NYC’s Beacon Theatre and L.A.’s Wiltern, as well as a stop at the Sony Centre in Toronto.

Like previous legs, the show will be presented as an “Evening with Dream Theater,” with no opening act. The tour will feature an unparalleled live set of Images & Words in its entirety, along with fan favorites from their deep, widely-acclaimed catalog.
Said founding guitarist John Petrucci of the upcoming trek, “We are so psyched to bring our Images, Words & Beyond tour to North America this Fall! It's hard to believe that it's already been 25 years since Images was released! We've been having a blast playing those songs each night, and sharing memories and stories from our time in the studio back in 1992. We know that this is such an important album to so many of our fans, both old and new, so we plan on making this a really special night by playing I&W in its entirety as well as breaking out some rare material, and a few of our latest tunes, in order to make this landmark evening compete. We hope to see all of you there! Don't miss it”

Presale tickets for select headline shows will be available beginning Wednesday July 26th, 10 AM (local time), followed by a public onsale July 28th, with the remainder of the presales launching one week later, August 2nd, with a public onsales of August 4th.

For more information (and all up to the minute presale and ticketing information,) please visit www.dreamtheater.net/tour/.

Dream Theater recently concluded the European leg of the “Images, Words & Beyond 25th Anniversary Tour”, playing to sold-out crowds across Europe. The upcoming North American run caps off a year-long celebration of their ground-breaking album, Images & Words. After a short break in early 2018, the band will return to the studio to begin work on a follow up to their most recent opus, The Astonishing.

Dream Theater upcoming tour dates are as follows:

10/25 Oakland, CA Fox Theater
10/26 Los Angeles, CA The Wiltern
10/28 Phoenix, AZ Celebrity Theatre
10/29 ABQ, NM Kiva Auditorium
10/31 Denver, CO Paramount Theater
11/2 Wichita, KS Orpheum Theatre
11/3 Chicago, IL Chicago Theater
11/4 Peoria, IL Peoria Civic Center
11/6 Cincinnati, OH Taft Theater
11/8 Pittsburgh, PA Palace Theatre
11/9 Detroit, MI The Fillmore
11/10 Buffalo, NY Rapids Theatre
11/12 Toronto, ONT Sony Centre
11/14 Albany, NY The Palace Theater
11/15 Boston, MA Orpheum Theatre
11/16 New York, NY Beacon Theater
11/18 Asbury, Park, NJ Paramount Theater
11/19 Philadelphia, PA Merriam Theatre
11/27 Baltimore, MD The Lyric
11/28 Raleigh, NC Memorial Auditorium
11/29 Nashville, TN War Memorial Aud.
12/1 Austin, TX Bass Hall
12/2 Dallas, TX The Pavilion
12/3 Houston, TX Cullen PAC

Dream Theater on Halloween. I'm there! What should I dress up as?

Wow. No Pacific Northwest dates.. I actually saved up some money to go, but I don't think I wanna go all the way to Denver which is the closest for me. That's a shame I may never get to see A Change of Seasons live.

Portnoy.

I was thinking The Count Of Tuscany.

The Denver venue is really nice, worth going for this set IMO.

I'd love to go, but I'd have to fly. Already priced that out at $1500 for two people. I really wish they would have played Seattle. I totally would have went for that!

Edit: Nevermind I was selecting first class tickets only.. It's cheaper than I thought.

Last edited:
"Presale tickets for select headline shows will be available beginning Wednesday July 26th, 10 AM (local time), followed by a public onsale July 28th, with the remainder of the presales launching one week later, August 2nd, with a public onsales of August 4th."

"Select headline shows". Anyone see which cities will get the presale tomorrow vs next week? Houston show is at an auditorium in U of H I have never been to before (for a concert). I just went to the auditorium website and they don't even list DM show yet...

Kevin Moore

"Presale tickets for select headline shows will be available beginning Wednesday July 26th, 10 AM (local time), followed by a public onsale July 28th, with the remainder of the presales launching one week later, August 2nd, with a public onsales of August 4th."

East coast (mostly) is currently on presale, but it's kind of BS considering you don't get to pick your seats. They all say something like this:

All tickets are assigned on a first come first serve basis and will be assigned once a date is sold out or we go off sale.

Check the site and it'll tell you which ones are currently on sale: https://soundrink.com/#/tour/dream-theater

Last edited:
During The Astonishing, Dream Theater played the Bell Centre in Montreal, a 17,500 person music venue. Now they are reduced to playing just the Sony Theatre in Toronto, which has a capacity of 3900. Wow, The Astonishing really cut their knees out from under them as a viable act, or something.

Was that the first or second leg? The problem wasn't so much The Astonishing as it was them deciding to tour the North America on it twice, the second leg being their most extensive NA tour in a long time.

Was that the first or second leg? The problem wasn't so much The Astonishing as it was them deciding to tour the North America on it twice, the second leg being their most extensive NA tour in a long time.
It was around the time I saw Iron Maiden last year, a couple weeks after, and that was April 1.

Ah, that would be the first leg then.

I wouldn't be surprised if after this tour we see a major change in management and possibly them leaving Roadrunner Records. There's really no reason for them to be playing smaller venues other than the massive miscalculation of how much interest there would be for The Astonishing.

IDK, they've played the exact same venue in Chicago (the Chicago Theater) for the last 4 shows now (this new one plus TA, DT12, ADTOE) and it's been packed every time.

Same with Denver. I think most venues are the same, but they've definitely downsized in some areas.

That's a shame I may never get to see A Change of Seasons live.
BTW can we still keep setlist stuff in spoiler tags? It's probably obvious to everyone at this point that ACOS is being played, but the rest of the set is unknown to me and I'd like to keep it that way until the show.

The band is receiving a lot of backlash for their choice of US shows this year. 1 Canada show, lack of Southeast and Pacific Northwest shows. Seriously, I've never even heard of Peoria!!! It's mind-boggling they couldn't even throw in a Seattle or Portland show. Their management has to be fired after this tour. The past couple years have been very odd for them IMO.

Seriously, I've never even heard of Peoria!!!

Peoria is a relatively small city about 2 hours southwest of Chicago, and it makes zero sense why they'd book a show there and in Chicago. I completely agree with you -- on a tour like this that will draw many fans, they shouldn't be leaving any major US city out.

Back