NOW WATCHING

I'm pretty sure Knicks is getting at stuff Ridley Scott has said himself. Prometheus didn't have "Alien" in the title, and this was deliberate. Covenant does. I personally had very, very low expectations for Covenant. With the bar that low I was genuinely quite impressed after seeing it the other day. It was decent.

It's almost inevitable with a franchise, I think, especially where there's sci-fi or something creepy involved. Part of the appeal is people want to know more, and filmmakers get drawn down the path of trying to explain everything, which can ruin the mystique entirely.

So far what I have figured out between Prometheus and Alien: Covenant:

1. When Prometheus starts, the Engineer drinks something while on Earth which melts him into our water so his DNA begins the human race. However, (this is where the confusion starts) at the end of the film when an Engineer is awakened, he tries to take off back to Earth to use the same liquid to wipe us out?
2. The first two Aliens are spawned in the second half of Prometheus (1 from Shaw and 1 from the Engineer) but are stuck on the planet
3. In Alien: Covenant, David the android creates the Pods (or cocoons) the face huggers are in and we see an Alien(s) pop out of the humans

Is that about all we have learned so far?

I saw WW yesterday , overall I enjoyed it .. Gadot was good, the plot was fine (not that I expect much out of these movies plot wise).

My 3 main complaints were

1) Visually
Way too many slow motion shots
2) the bad guy
Not that menacing, in his final armor, he looked like Captain Chaos from South Park
3) other bad guy
Ludendorff ... I get this is nit picky in a super hero comic book movie, but if they are using a historical figure, they way they used him was incredibly bad here

I've seen my 2 comic book movies for the year (which is 2 more than last year) ... ready to check out on these again ... they are all too same-y for me

Guardians 2 was the other one, again decent movie, baby Groot was cool, but everyone else was a bit of a letdown compared to the first one.

My 3 main complaints were

(Don't read this if you haven't seen the film.)

I liked the villain a lot - as in the idea that the God of War in the 1900's isn't in the shape of some menacing monster, but rather a seemingly weak british politician playing on humanity's flaws to get his way. That part is brilliant, where it does sort of clash a bit is in the final fight. To me, this film screamed out for the need of something else than a typical super hero fight. It's not terrible by a long shot, but I suspect it could have been made into something more philosophical - we'd already had plenty of beautifully choregraphed action scenes by then, including the Ludendorrf "boss fight". Or I don't know, but I agree this is one of the very few flaws the film clearly has against it. It comes across as strength vs strength more than it's a triumph of faith and beliefs.

(Don't read this if you haven't seen the film.)

I liked the villain a lot - as in the idea that the God of War in the 1900's isn't in the shape of some menacing monster, but rather a seemingly weak british politician playing on humanity's flaws to get his way. That part is brilliant, where it does sort of clash a bit is in the final fight. To me, this film screamed out for the need of something else than a typical super hero fight. It's not terrible by a long shot, but I suspect it could have been made into something more philosophical - we'd already had plenty of beautifully choregraphed action scenes by then, including the Ludendorrf "boss fight". Or I don't know, but I agree this is one of the very few flaws the film clearly has against it. It comes across as strength vs strength more than it's a triumph of faith and beliefs.

also do not read if you have not seen it.
I agree it was good having the bad guy as some mid level politico dropping hints to people how to wage the war "better". My real complain was once that facade was gone, he really did not look all that impressive in the armor, it was pretty cheesy along with the slow motion stuff. Not a huge deal, but I guess I expected something more from god versus god fight.

The Ludendorff stuff probably did not matter to the VAST majority of people seeing the movie, I just thought he was portrayed so badly and him dying when he played at least a moderate roll in 1920s German politics ... it just took me out of the movie. For me, it would have been better just making up some German sounding name instead of using that one. Again, I doubt many noticed this at all .. but it bugged me. Obviously these are not history movies, but if they are using historical characters, I would think they would have made more of an effort .. or maybe they did and realized they picked the wrong guy .. and just went with it anyway.

I am not a big fan of the super hero movies in general, most do nothing for me and see very much the same as all of them, I think this one was better than most and I enjoyed it.

I might have to make the trip this weekend. Probably the earliest show possible, ie before hoards of kids turn up, and not late at night when crowds of drunk knobs and teenagers are talking on their phones throughout the film.

I've seen my 2 comic book movies for the year (which is 2 more than last year) ... ready to check out on these again ... they are all too same-y for me

Guardians 2 was the other one, again decent movie, baby Groot was cool, but everyone else was a bit of a letdown compared to the first one.
Damn, you should have seen Logan before checking out. :p It's something totally different.

Back