Creeping Death

METALLICA 2016
5. Creeping Death
6. Master of Puppets
7. Battery
8. The Call of Ktulu
9. Blackened
10. ... And Justice For All

After revisiting Ride the Lightning this week for the first time in a while, the album in general is quite overshadowed by Puppets, Justice, and Black. But damn if isn't good. Several of the songs (Bells, Creeping, Ktulu) I've heard so many times over the years, but the rest are mostly solid. The title track is killer, and makes me wonder where that Kirk Hammett faded away to. Escape is just straight-up bad (some of the filler on Load and Reload is better), but the opener and Trapped are cooler than I remember. They're not Puppets or Justice-level good, but still. Also, I love the melodic aspect of Fade to Black, and it may even be tied with One for their best old-school power ballad (I think Sanitarium is a step below these two).

Eliminated:
For Whom the Bell Tolls

METALLICA 2016
4. For Whom The Bell Tolls
5. Creeping Death
6. Master of Puppets
7. Battery
8. The Call of Ktulu
9. Blackened

Odd that the top three Metallica songs are gonna basically be the same thing: half semi-ballads that start with arpeggios before getting heavy.

All are the 4th track on their respective albums too!

Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets and ...And Justice for All quite clearly follow a pattern in their sequencing. AFJA has an additional track, and the instrumentals flip places in RTL and MOP, but otherwise the tracks on the same number are similar in their structure or feel.

#1 is fast paced full on thrash, #2 is the title track, #3 mid-tempo heavy track, #4 semi-ballad, #5 back to fast paced full on thrash, #6 mid-tempo track, two closing tracks are an instrumental + a fast paced full on thrash track. Frayed Ends of Sanity is the outlier.

Eliminated:
Welcome Home (Sanitarium)

METALLICA 2016
3. Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
4. For Whom The Bell Tolls
5. Creeping Death
6. Master of Puppets
7. Battery
8. The Call of Ktulu
9. Blackened

Back