Basketball

That Backcourt though... They will throw up so many bricks they about to build a cathedral in 2 games haha

I'm a Bulls fan, so I'm ecstatic that Wade is coming here. I'm still not sure how I feel about the Rondo signing, however. I never was a fan of the guy.

I don't have very high expectations for this upcoming season, but it should at least be interesting.

Tim Duncan retires. Seemed impossible with how productive he was well into his career. But he looked "done" in the Playoffs for the first time in his career, missing bunnies at the rim and all. Not a huge surprise, but sad to see it happen anyway. Greatest power forward to ever play the game.

Kareem Abdul Jabbar and John Wooden
CpIK10WWYAE4-Hv.jpg

If Jokic continues in this form, he'll easily become our best NBA player ever. Only Stojakovic and Divac ahead of him even now IMO.

Jokic will only get better. Insane basketball IQ in that guy, could go down as the greatest passing big man ever.

Nope.
tumblr_kr5o1f6izB1qz7s89.jpg

85-nba-draft-revisited-the-strange-phantom-drafting-of-arvydas-sabonis-1435096220.jpg

And I think these guys might count too.
dad9da7264ed98b13888aff450732ef3.jpg

But Jokic is pretty damn promising.

Magic and Bird don't count. Magic was a PG, Bird was a SF.

I'm truly a basketball nerd, a historian type, so don't think I forgot about Walton or Sabonis. However, Sabonis was way past his prime when he joined the NBA and Walton's prime lasted too short due to injuries. Jokic easily has a shot at passing them in career value as a passing big man.

Devin Booker of the Phoenix Suns dropped 70 points last night. The most by anyone since Kobe's 81 point game in 2006. Despite all this, the Suns still lost. :facepalm:

To be fair, Suns are probably happy that they lost, because they're actively tanking. They shut down their best player (Eric Bledsoe) for the rest of the season even though he's not injured.

Jokić is a god. I hope Nuggets get some better players in the next few years to challenge for the championship.

To be fair, Suns are probably happy that they lost, because they're actively tanking. They shut down their best player (Eric Bledsoe) for the rest of the season even though he's not injured.

The glory years of the Charles Barkley/Kevin Johnson era seem like an eternity ago (I've been following the team for ages...and this period just sucks).

Do you think tanking is a valid strategy? Making a team intentionally terrible to get a higher draft pick?

Yes. Philly unapologetically tanked for a couple of years, and they're now set to have an amazing future with great young prospects like Joel Embiid, Ben Simmons, Dario Saric and their upcoming pick this year.

I was an advocate for tanking for the Miami Heat, which I'm a fan of, this year but they really overachieved with a bad roster and are going to make the Playoffs. Might put the franchise into a treadmill in the future, they really needed to get a franchise player type in the draft.

I don't know about that. Doesn't a team have a duty to put on the best possible match every night?

No, not necessarily. The greater good matters more.

The objective is to win a title, or at least compete for a title. If you don't have the assets to do so and also don't suck hard enough to get a high draft pick, you'll be stuck in a treadmill. Nobody applauds a team that makes the Playoffs year after year only to get eliminated in the first two rounds. Just ask the mid to late-2000s Atlanta Hawks.

No, not necessarily. The greater good matters more.
Does it, though? I mean, I'm thinking more of hockey than I am of basketball, but the optics of watching the hardcore fans cheer their home team for losing, rather than winning, doesn't seem designed to allow more buy-in from non-fans.

Back